“Overpriced and Overhyped”

Ranked #19 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
DC
“Overpriced and Overhyped”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2008

First of all, this hotel was RIDICULOUSLY overpriced. The rooms are TEENY and cramped. The wallpaper in our room was falling off... They caution you at every instant that "this is an adult playground" and they do not allow children. They also ask you to always speak in your "spa voice." Despite all of this, when we were checking in, a family with three young children checked in right behind us and all we heard all weekend was the mother yelling out her kid's name. I guess she forgot to use her spa voice. The food was overpriced and the waiter kept nagging us to give him a big tip because he had worked all day and had to pay rent. Far from being hip and full of beutiful people, it was full of SENIOR CITIZENS!!! What a NIGHTMARE! 6 dollars for a bottle of water! This is one of the worst hotels I have ever been to.

• Liked — NOTHING!
  • Disliked — The pretentiousness
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lasesana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2008

First of all, this hotel should get over itself. We arrived at 1AM after a long night and followed the website's awful directions to the hotel. While driving by, we saw this sixties looking place with a sign that says "Lido Beach Hotel." My husband said, "That looks cool." I didn't think so and we drove by. After driving way down the road, we turned around and asked someone on a skateboard where the Standard was. They pointed to this Lido hotel which is, in actuality, the Standard. They've kept the old sign on front and have this small, upside down sign you can barely see that says, "The Standard." Cute, but after hours traveling, it was merely annoying. The website never shows the front of the hotel, so how would we have known that this place with the wrong sign was actually the hotel?

When we checked in, the surly desk clerk made it clear that we had to spend $25 per day for valet parking, even though the day was over. When we balked, he said we should be happy because we were staying in an "incredible room" worth $400 - $500. When we arrived at the room, it was so small, I could barely believe it. It truly looked more like a cabana than a hotel room. It was as wide as the bed without even any room for bedside tables. Instead, they have these stupid picnic baskets pushed under the bed that you're supposed to use as end tables! Ridiculous and really inconvenienct.

The other major problem was that bathroom had this incredibly loud fan that got turned on automatically with the light switch. Other hotels have two switches, but this one just had one so if you wanted the light on, you had listen to a tornado over your head. A few times, I actually tried doing things in the dark to avoid the noise. Plus, the amenities were really small, skimpy and low quality - especially given the room rates. There was very little room to put anything and the toilet paper was just laying in this tray - not even affixed.

The room was called a "wet medium" which means it has this dumb claw foot bathtub outside the room. The whole time we were there, I didn't see one person use those tubs, so don't pay the extra money for one of them. Not practical and kind of silly, although it looks kind of cool on the site.

We had to call and ask for another robe (just one was in a room for two) and had to call and ask for another patio chair (again, just one was there). That was annoying, too.

The pool is warm, big and pretty and there's a unique hot tub with falling, rushing water that's fun to sit in. The spa is pretty nice, too.

But the website makes the rooms look big and comfy and makes the property look different than it really is. It's an old motel that's been made "cool," but it falls short in many areas - most importantly the tiny, uncomfortable rooms. To its credit, the room had an iHome, TV, ample storage and a big patio which was large, but not that appealing - kind of barren. But even the dresser was a plastic thing that looked like it came from Target's dorm department. My impression was that just about everything in the rooms was done as cheaply as possibly.

We stil had fun, but next time, I'll look for a different kind of place.

• Liked — the pool, the spa
  • Disliked — tiny overpriced rooms
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Niia
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2008

Stayed at the Standard for almost 2 weeks while in town on business. I really preferred the relaxed atmosphere and zen vibe at this hotel rather than the party crazy South Beach scene. The pool is wonderful and the hotel serves very good quality food at its restaurants. The spa is beautiful, unfortunately I was only able to squeeze in an appointment for a manicure.
The staff is very friendly and I would definitely stay here again.The only bummer is that there is no free parking and the valet is $25 a day.

• Liked — scenic view/comfortable beds/zen vibe
  • Disliked — no free parking
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
Houston
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2008

This hotel is a lot different than you might expect from its website or some of the comments on this site. The rooms are tiny .. if you are there to get any work done forget it because while there is ubiquitous wifi there is no room in your room. And the bathrooms are cramped to the point of silly. When the light goes on so does the nosiest exhaust fan you have ever heard and that is in EVERY room. In our room it took two strong hands to shut off the water in the shower and when it was on full strength the best you can expect is a trickle.
In the 50's and early 60's this was probably a great property but the cosmetic changes that have been made do not hide the fact that it is still an old Holiday Inn style place.
But the real cautionary note is; it is a disguised bordello. On the Saturday and Sunday night our group was there flagrant sex acts were being performed in and around the pool area. To some this might be a draw and while I am far from being a prude I think there ought to at least be a little warning that sex is permitted in the pool area.
It is clean and the food is good and the staff is friendly and accommodating but next to the National on Collins I would rate it the worst value on South Beach.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — room size and allowed pool activies and location .. it is not really convenient to anything
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank raven40
phil
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2008

I am just back from a business trip to Miami, where I travel a fair amount. This was my first visit to The Standard Miami, though I was familiar with the property in LA. I enjoyed the hotel. It is very relaxing and comfortable. However, I think a bit difficult for a typical business traveler that needs amenities(of which I am not.) These were my issues: got bumped off wireless internet though they had an ethernet cord for me. This was helpful but gave me little flexibility with my computer. The service is lacking at the hotel. Everything takes a least 15minutes longer than it should. It seemed they did not have good processes in place. When I got there they could not give me a key to the room as the system was down. Took 5 hours to get a key. The restaurant outside is a relaxing lovely environment but slow service. Getting a cup of coffee in the morning was a half hour process. The valet never had my car there in less than 15/20 minutes. On the flip side, if you have some down time the property has a great pool, quiet location, beutiful views and a great spa. Staff are nice but "not at the top of their game". With all this said if I were travelling for vacation with no time constraints I think this property is an excellent choice if you want a quiet alternative to South Beach.

• Liked — The pool
  • Disliked — The service
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank lily01
weekendtraveler01
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2008

This was the second time my husband and I stayed at the hotel and we loved it. Yes, there is some validity to the issues with the management (they didn't get our room ready until almost 5:00 when we check in and we're pretty unconcerned about it). That said, the Spa, pool and other ammenities more that make up for it. The messages we got were wonderful and hanging out in the hamman (sp?) afterwards was great. We got the outdoor mud treatment multiple times and it's to die for. It's not for the shy though if you want to enjoy the treatment without a suit. On one occasion we ended up showering in the buff in front of ten people partying on a boat. We stayed in a wet room and took a bath on the deck nightly - again, very romantic.

All in all a great experience.

Stayed December 2007
3 Thank weekendtraveler01
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2008

This hotel is fantastic - it's just too bad they can't find proper management and staff. I loved the rooms - they were big and nicely designed. Very clean, no carpet, hardwood floors, big walk in showers. The pool was great, the breakfast was tasty (but expensive).

The only real complaint I have is with the service. Unfortunately the poor service ruined the entire stay.

When we checked in, we were told that we had complimentary breakfast. (we booked thru mr and mrs smith) When we checked out, they told us this was not true and we had to pay for the breakfasts we had eaten. Had we known this, we probably would not have had breakfast in the hotel. The guy who checked us in was not around but they said it didn't matter what he had told us, we had to pay for the breakfast anyway. They were quite rude about it, never apologized for the misunderstanding, and in fact, didn't even ask us how our stay at the hotel was.

The day we arrived, I called the spa to make some bookings for treatments. I got a machine asking me to leave a message with details of the treatments I wanted to book. They never called me back. The next day, my friend went to the yoga class (supposedly fantastic teacher) and then she was able to book an appointment with the spa directly. I went down in person later, but they had no availability for any treatments left for that day or the next day. What is the point of staying at a hotel with an amazing spa if you can't get an appointment?

Although the pool was amazing, the drinks were watered down and they cannot make a real mojito (expect sprite with a dash of rum and a sprig of mint tossed in).

I really wish we had stayed at another hotel - there are so many amazing hotels in South Beach. I won't make that mistake again!

• Liked — Great rooms
  • Disliked — Service was awful
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends