“Small Boutique Hotel, with old Miami Flair”

The Standard, Miami
Ranked #10 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed May 19, 2012

I booked this hotel for a girls get away! This is not your hotel on the ocean, but it is on the bay, and does have water views (not from all rooms, but from some). The rooms are very small (very small) bay side bungalos type, but really, you are in MIAMI, so how much time do you reall need in your room. Multiple different types of baths can be taken in the Lido Bath Spa, as well as a mud bath can be taken pool side. The infinity pool is well maintained and very clean! Gounds are impeccible. I used travelzoo.com and booked a great rate, and the lido cafe was great for breakfast or a quick lunch and drinks. If you want to steer clear of A1A and collins avenue, the Standard is a great break away!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank CaribbeanGem39
Write a ReviewReviews (1,817)

Reviewed May 18, 2012

I wanted to experience a more relaxing self-centered week end break before a difficult work meeting in Miami, so I choose The Standard, part because of other Tripadvisor reviews, part because I found a 50% discount rate in the adds, and the hotel site looked promising. Clearly, I had a great stay and achieved all I wanted in relaxation, mind awareness, etc. and really enjoyed the yoga class, the spa treatments, the exotic garden, the simple quality food, the pool area (empty between 6 and 6:30am and worth the early wake up), etc. it was also easy to stick to a low calorie but fulfilling diet. However, not everything is always rosy: the rooms are small and really scream no renovation over the last 10 years. I was initially directed to a small standard room, while I had booked a large room with terrasse and outside jacuzzi, according to web description. I was able to get one as booked, after some discussion, but clearly they gave me the worse they had, immediately next to the kitchen back. Noise, smells. The "jacuzzi" is a mere outdoor old fashion bathtub, and the "terrasse" has no view. The food is ridiculously expensive (40$ for eggs lido, fresh juice and green tea for breakfast), the advertised "free" yoga class was 18$, and the free wifi, hotel amenities such as accessing the pool, etc were charged as "resort fee" in addition to the room. Of course, no one tells you before you find out in your bill. In-room tea/coffee amenity would be welcome as nothing is served before 7am and Sunrise yoga starts at 7:30am.

Room Tip: Try to get a large room, but the terrasse doesn't worth the extra cost. Ask to be away from the...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 15, 2012

I'm from Houston, TX and was visiting my twin daughters who live here. We celebrated Mother's Day at The Standard. It was the BEST experience! We were pampered by the spa services and enjoyed the wonderful eternity pool. We had breakfast at poolside, lunch at high noon where we enjoyed a panoramic view of the bay, and we dined that evening in the lighted venue of the restaurant.. I really didn't want the weekend to end. Staff was exceptional! Location was perfect as we biked around South Beach on rented bicycles located just across from the hotel. We loved our room and had fun in the tub located on our veranda. I'm just telling everyone I know to visit this paradise whether its for a gettaway weekend to celebrate YOU, or when visiting Miami on business or pleasure. When I left The Standard, I left "paradise" behind!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 15, 2012

On the flight back to New York from Miami, I realized they had to pry me out of the spa, steam room and sauna at The Standard that morning. I was so reluctant to leave. I could move in. Seriously. That week (and it was just about a whole week because I extended my stay twice) was SUBLIME. I sat on the plane wondering: how to hold onto this feeling ? And then, how to get back there ?

Retreat is a good word. A way too long overdue vacation, I had joined a select group of fellow yogis from New York and San Francisco with our teacher and friend, Sherman Morris, as our guide on a path to yoga bliss. While we had a small bit of structure in daily morning yoga classes and two evening workshops, there was ample time and opportunity to enjoy the accommodations, the grounds and the spa. My journey to Miami began many months before when I wandered into Sherman’s class and quickly realized THIS is what I have been looking for: a contemporary Ashtanga-based yoga practice with respect for The Lineage; a moving, breathing meditation in a room warm enough (but not fainting hot) to keep the muscles pliable; a consistent discipline that is varied enough to be fresh without being rigid. Here I was back on my mat and incredibly grateful; bowing my head in love and devotion, bending my body to be more flexible in my thinking and standing on my head to turn my life upside-down and gain a new perspective. The Retreat’s morning classes were at a very civilized 9:30am, while the evening workshops were before dinner at 6:00pm. The yoga room was a comfortable sanctuary and the spa provided the mats and towels. The morning classes were consistent with Sherman’s regular classes; a lead class where each individual works at their own level and receives Sherman’s adjustments to go deeper. The evening workshops had different themes: one on presses and the other on inversions; it was great to have the time and space to break down these more complex poses with Sherman’s guidance. While the classes and workshops were just for our group, Sherman opened up one of the classes to other guests of The Standard and it was nice to have a different energy in the room that day.

The Standard is an old-fashioned place with a post-modern twist. Straight out of the Miami Beach page of another era. Actually, the sign out front still says: The Lido Hotel. On Belle Island, right on the Biscayne Bay, the water is so beautiful and surprisingly clear, I wanted to jump right in. The Standard is like a small European boutique hotel that could be anywhere – on an island somewhere, in the Mediterranean perhaps along the coast of the Ligurian Sea. Yet, the chic Lincoln Road is an easy 10 – 12 minute walk over the causeway and the full activity of South Beach just beyond.

My room was quiet and intimate, very cabana-like with linen hanging everywhere and I had a small outdoor terrace with a bathtub and small table and chairs. Once I figured out how to turn off the A/C and open the windows and then switch on the ceiling fan I slept very peacefully. Most of the days were quite beautiful; we were lucky with the weather and the sun was strong. One morning after our usual post-yoga jovial group breakfast on the central patio, I went back to my room to change into my bathing suit with the idea of going to sit by the pool. When I got back to my room it started to rain. Pouring. So, I decided to take a bath in my outdoor soaking tub and I did, up to my neck in nice warm water. The sun was shining through the rain – a true sun shower – but my little outdoor space had white muslin (or similar fabric) awning overhead and white muslin panels hanging all around down to the floor – the space was dry, private and very pretty as the panels moved ever so slightly in the breeze. It was a charming moment.

The spa is an otherworldly experience. The steam room, sauna and various showers of hot and cold water with differing streams and pressures were all good. Personally, I liked the body scrub and salts that are fragrant with lemongrass. I enjoyed having a Standard manicure and pedicure, a nice treat. However, the pièce de résistance, for me, was the K.I.S.S. (Keep It Sensual and Satisfying) treatment. First a soothing 60 minute massage and then a 30 minute Hamam scrub lying on hot stones with warm water poured all over. Fabulous ! Part of what makes it so special is that it is with the same therapist, so the treatment was seamless in undoing the life stress I brought with me and any knotted muscles from my yoga practice that needed unwinding. I had two, always nice to be K.I.S.S.’d twice.

We ate well. The cuisine was all fresh, tasty and nicely prepared and presented. I especially liked the tuna tarter with a green salad served by the Grill on the deck by the water; the blueberry pancakes one morning for breakfast were to die for and my daily double espresso was perfect (fueled my morning addiction nicely). Sometimes the service was a little slow or maybe they were just trying to get us to relax and let go.

The deck out back is a truly lovely spot. Nice deck chairs, facing the water or facing the pool and plenty of towels available. An infinity pool – the water stays level with the surrounding deck and there is music underwater; it is salt water (saline not sea water), with a gradual sloping entrance from zero to about seven feet deep. The water is actually a bit warm for lap swimming but I did anyway and it was wonderful nonetheless. In the deep end I was eye level with the Bay which creates a feeling of being suspended. The deck area has a hydro-healing theme; there is a Roman Waterfall (next to the pool) with forceful hot water and an arctic dunking pool that is frigid. One night after our yoga workshop, followed by happy hour at the Grill, it felt really good to let the hot water of the Roman Waterfall pound on my shoulders and run down my back, quickly jump in the arctic pool, then swim in the infinity pool and then get back in the Roman Waterfall. Repeat. There were frozen margaritas involved (strawberry for me, no salt). The warm water enveloping and that cold water bracing – the combination is very alluring.

On the last couple of mornings, the day started with a gentle yoga practice on an open space of the same deck (on the other side of the pool) overlooking the Bay. The spa practically encourages you to take the mats outside and do your sun salutations with the sun on your face. Even a small rain shower did not dampen the spirit but merely cooled the body. Of course, I had to do the Bird of Paradise pose in paradise at the water’s edge.

Somewhere along the way, during shavasana (corpse pose), I read a beautiful poem by Rumi aloud to my fellow yogis; about the Divine and Desire and just what is Paradise; I simply opened the book and there it was. Being at The Standard with Sherman was an awesome way to combine a search for inner peace with a touch of hedonism and, just maybe, begin to find better personal balance on the mat and in life.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jory Z
Reviewed May 15, 2012

I stayed at The Standard for a long weekend including a yoga retreat and spa treatments. It is an excellent place to relax and rejuvenate, but also to enjoy the South Beach party scene if you want. Sobe is less than a mile away, so you can walk, bike or ride a shuttle bus there easily, but then you can escape the mayhem and return to your tranquil oasis. You get the best of both worlds. The Standard's location on Biscayne Bay is really gorgeous with a delightful breeze. The infinity pool overlooking the bay can't be beat. The warm waterfall near the pool that provides a water massage on your neck, shoulders and back is a great way to loosen up before you stretch out on your lounge chair under the palms. Music is piped in underwater in the pool. I heard another guest mention that floating on his back in the pool at night listening to the music and looking up at the stars really calmed him. The grounds are lush and tropical, with thoughtful features like hanging swings under a vine-covered gazebo and rattan day beds surrounding a fire bowl. The rooms are lovely, impeccably clean, well designed, comfortable and quiet. The staff is professional and efficient, but also warm and friendly and very helpful. The food in the restaurants is delicious and healthy. The seared local tuna is superb! I really noticed how quality food makes my body feel more fit and satisfied while I was at The Standard. The spa services are top notch. The spa is really current with the latest, greatest therapies. The massage and facial I got at The Standard were vastly superior to any I had anywhere else, including services I had at a nationally recognized spa in my home city. The hammam (bath house) is a luxuriant way to de-stress before a spa treatment or to prolong the relaxation after it. I also like the fact that The Standard is an adult playground, so other peoples' annoying kids aren't running around screaming and crying. I really didn't want to check out!!

Room Tip: Since I was solo I took a smaller "Missionary" room upstairs. The larger rooms downstairs...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 11, 2012

My daughter and I both needed a break. The standard was the perfect spot. The unique offerings of treatment combined with the pampered service exceeded our dreams. We loved the hamman, the sound shower, baths, and pool. Our massages were beyond belief and were exceeded only by the Turkish rub. The food was great and service equally exceptional. We are coming back!!!

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed May 10, 2012

the hotel is wonderful, the pool is the highlight and the breakfast is an oportunity to apreciate life's preious moments. Just loved.

Room Tip: the standard room are a bit small.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo