“If you like upscale bohemia, you will like the standard”

The Standard, Miami
Ranked #9 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed October 21, 2007

After my boyfriend & I decided to take a last minute trip to Miami, I was totally overwhelmed by the many choices in South Beach. We ended up staying 2 nights on the Ocean Drive strip & 2 nights at the Standard. I was very impressed with the Standard. It has a very romantic & relaxed vibe. Our room was on the garden & although small it had great decor. If you want top of the line traditional hotel amenities, this is not the place for you. But if you want a sexy, but low-key experience in an otherwise flashy town, I would suggest the is a little slow, but walking around the beautiful pool & using the fantastic spa, made up for it. Most people who worked there were friendly and pleasant. The hotel does not have the highest level service like some other hotels, but it is a unique and cool place. I was totally relaxed and happy during my stay.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nygirl33

Reviewed September 30, 2007

OMG!, what a HUGE dissapointment...I have never written a review about anything in my life, but this was such a gross experience; I have to write to save others from the same dissapointment....I should have listened to the horrible reviews...but gave the hotel a chance.....what a mistake!!!!

My boyfriend and I wanted to have a "romantic spa get-a-way"; the pics of the Standard look great online---so despite so-so reviews, I booked a room. We booked a Large Lush room.

Upon arrival, this is a description of what happened....
First of all, the entry/valet drive way was completely flooded w/ dirty swamp-y water, and the outside of the hotel looks like a old dirty jail. We did read about the gross entry/drive way, so we were not completely turned off yet....

After waiting FOREVER to get our car valet, we walked in hoping to be blown away w/ the lobbsy--another major disappointment. It has a bunch of old, sweaty and smelly furniture, its very small, and dirty.

The check in staff was very nice; said our room wasnt ready so we walked around outside to see the pool..the great pool that was seen on the website.... the outside areas are very dirty and miskept, the pool was overly crowded w/ Europeans-- not a single open chair. the "plunge" pool is about 3 feet long, 2 feet wide and was filled w/ about 50 people! Walking around was gross...the cabanas were w/ white dirty sheets that looked like they have not been replaced in 3 weeks....

we decided to go back inside and wait for our room..it was ready in about 15 minutes; we were excited to see our "cool" room...we anxiously walked to room 55---as soon as opening the door, we were hit w/ an overwhelming smell of mold and mildew! The AC said it was on 49'F! It was clearly broken and the room smelled soooo gross! I started sneezing right away....the mold was an instant asthma/allergy irritant! The room was smaller than my bathroom at home! The bed was wet w/ humid mildew and was hard as a rock! The room was a major disappointment, to say the least!! The room consists of a gross, moldy bed; a small, free-standing sink (no cabinets); a small toilet and very small shower (the bathroom has that super old very small 1cm x 1cm tiles!!)...GROSS, GROSS, GROSS!

EVERYTHING about this hotel is completely mis-represented w/ all the beautiful online photos! --the reality of this hotel is NOTHING like what you think/dream/or expect!

We were so turned off an disappointed, we went straight to the manager and told him we were leaving...they did give us a full refund. We ended up staying at the Mayfair hotel and spa in Coconut Grove---1,000 times better!!! Great hotel, awesome spa, super nice staff, and amazing food!

Summary: if you want an overpriced, smelly, moldy, gross hotel full of Europeans--stay here...if you want a clean, nice, relaxing, refreshing, hotel----GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MiamiSpaLover
Reviewed September 18, 2007

I had thoroughly researched hotels in miami and had decided that the standard looked like the type of place that I would like, with the right vibe, people and atmos.

The grounds of the hotel are lush and well kept. The walkways are lit by oil burners at night and the HUGE infinity pool is open 24 hours, which is a nice touch. A midnight dip in the pool on a humid night whilst looking out towards the skyline of the miami mainland and the belle Isle bay is lovely.

The hotel host bingo in the lobby on some nights, whilst on other nights there is a dj spinning cool tunes at the perfect volume. We chose not to attend these events but saw lots of people having a fun time on my way to my room.

The negatives. It has to be said that unfortunately the front desk seem to be fairly useless. While we were queuing to check-in, another group were complaining about their 'lost' reservation, which was very unnerving after an 9 hour flight from the UK. My 8 day reservation was fine however, and we did indeed receive a room upgrade which was fab.

Unfortunately my poor travelling companion was not blessed with such luck. He was firstly given a room that had been deemed 'out of use' and was currently being used as a storage facility! When he arrived at his room and discovered this, he called down to reception but was met with a blank silence after explaining the issues with the room, followed by an uninspiring 'Wow' by the front desk. After some too-ing and fro-ing he was then given another room which was twice the size of mine with an outdoor bath on the patio. He was very pleased until his upgrade high was cut short at about 11pm that night when he discovered he was next to the hotel laundry which was in service pretty much through the night! He was kept awake until 2am while the washing machines belted out loud spin cycle sounds non stop (room 62 - avoid). After complaining about this he was then moved again for a 3rd time to another room, but unfortunately this time none of the plug sockets/faucets worked! He again complained and was assured by the management that it would be fixed that same night. 3 nights later it still hadnt been looked at and he resigned himself to having no use of his hair dryers/straightner/iron etc.

We ate in the outdoor restaurant next to the pool a few times. The food was lovely if a little pricey once/tip/tax/service/saying hello fee blah blah had been added. Call it $25 for a chicken pannini salad and soft drink. Being a brit I am constantly confused about the tipping situation in the US. If gratuity has been added already am I expected to give more ontop (They automatically add 18% tip) and is service different to tip? Note the hotel also add a $3.50 'delivery' charge if you use room service.

Contrary to the hotels literature, as lovely as the location is, and it really is, it certainly most definately is not within reasonable walking distance of anything. Not even a little corner shop/convinience store. However cabs are frequent and quite cheap. Cost us around $6 each time we went out to Lincoln or $8-10 to Ocean ave.

The hotel appear to have some weird ongoing problem with flooding. which has been mentioned in other reviews. Every night at around 8pm the entire area outside of the lobby became flooded ankle deep. It was not a huge deal, but a little strange as it was so regular and not great to have to wade through either.

Lastly, I would suggest you check your bill very carefully upon check out. My friend who had changed rooms 3 times was dealt a final blow when he saw that 8 days worth of car valeting amounting to $200 had been added to his bill....even though he didnt and had never had a car or used the valet?! A restaurant bill of $45 had been added to my bill, even though I had paid cash at the time. It was eventually removed but no apology for the error was made by front desk, which was noted.

Overall and without focusing on the negatives too much, we did have a lovely time. The pool area is a very glamorous hang out for models, industry bods and men with yachts and speed boats plus the odd ordinary civilian like myself. All of the grounds people, maids, waiters and waitresses could'nt have been nicer.

I would go back again but would be a bit more careful with checking my bills and that everything was being charged correctly and more prepared for some of the hotels little oddities that could do with being ironed out to make it really top notch.

• Stayed: September 2007
5  Thank MissMW
Reviewed September 16, 2007

We booked our honeymoon at this place, it was gorgeous! Very relaxing, and very serene, and clean. The staff was super helpful and attentive. Westayed for 3 days and and the area was perfect! 24 hour pool and spa, FABULOUS!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2007

My boyfriend and I had a terrific stay at the Standard last week. I never write reviews, but our trip was so great that I felt compelled to do so. I thought that the location was great. We were able to relax during the day and enjoy the excitement of south beach at night. We received a room upgrade during check-in without even asking. We ended up with a large wet room which was nice and clean and well air conditioned. We really enjoyed the pools--main infinity pool, hot tub, and cold tub. It was never a problem finding lounge chairs around the pool and the attendants were very attentive. We had lunch at the restaurant by the pool one day. Lunch was good, the view was beautiful, and we were very excited to see dolphins while we were dining. I also have to rave about the hamam. It was incredibly relaxing to lay out on the hot marble benches and then cool off with a cold shower. I think it's great that so many of the spa amenities at this hotel are either included or very reasonably priced (mud bath is $10--we were about to try this but it started to rain). It did take 20 min to get our car, but we just called the valet for the car while we were getting ready and by the time we got to the lobby the car was there. The restaurants at the hotel were a bit pricey, so we walked to starbucks (10 min walk) each morning which worked out great. I highly recommend this hotel for a fun, relaxing getaway.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2007

I'm very familiar with The Standard in Downtown LA...I LOVE it! I've had many fun nights there. So when I was planning a trip to Miami and found a great deal at The Standard Miami Beach I jumped on it.

However, after reading bad reviews on here before we left for our trip and my husband and I were thisclose to canceling our reservation and booking somewhere else.

I'm glad we didn't. We really enjoyed our stay at The Standard.

First of all, if you are familiar with the LA locations of The Standard...this hotel isn't like them. The LA Standards are party hotels, the Miami Standard is a spa hotel...very relaxing.

The spa is supposed to be great and there are a lot of self-serve options included with your hotel stay. I never took advantage of these, though, because my hubs and I ended up spending our one full day at the pool instead. Oh well...that was relaxing, too.

The pool area is awesome. It's an infinity pool with amazing views of the bay and the city. You can sit on a chair right on the dock with the bay behind you and then hop in the pool. There is a hot tub and also an arctic plunge tub that they keep at 50 degrees. My hubs tried to hop in the plunge after a dip in the hot tub at night, but he couldn't do it. It was a lot easier during the day when people were just lounging in the 50 degree water.

The rooms are nice. Comfy beds. Flat screen TVs. Well-stocked mini-bar. No blackout curtains, but that was fine by me. I like being woken up by the sun.

Some minor annoyances:
No real shelf space in the bathroom. I'm a chick...I have a lot of "bathroom stuff" and there was really nowhere to put it.

There were some things we weren't clear on and there were some staff members who weren't very forthcoming with information. For example, as part of our deal we had free continental breakfast each morning. But when we tried to figure out where to go to get it and what we could get with it, we were a bit lost. We tried to ask this server in the restaurant and he was less than helpful. He was really the ONLY person who had this attitude...the girl who checked us in was super friendly and helpful, the valet staff was always on top of things and everyone else besides this guy was great.

Once we finally figured out what we could order with our free breakfast we were floored. Our "breakfast" was 3 pieces of toast, coffee and OJ. That's fine because we weren't paying, but they were charging $14 for it on the menu! The prices there were a little steep for me.

When we were there, there was a lot of construction going on in front of the hotel. Luckily we were driving a rental car (and had free valet with our deal...thank goodness at $22/day), otherwise I would have been annoyed with the dirt all over my car every day and the rocks and bumps we had to drive through. I'm sure the construction won't last forever and I'm sure it will be great when it's all done.

Overall, the views and the room more than made up for the minor things. We really enjoyed our stay at The Standard and would visit again, if we ever ended up back in Miami.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jessrkim
Reviewed July 30, 2007

My best friend gave me a two night stay at The Standard for my birthday. She got a great deal on TravelZoo. We stayed July 19-21. When we got there, we asked if we could have the room with the bathtub out front and they upgraded us free! We only had a view of the building next to us, but we were hardly in the room anyway. The room was really nice. Futon couch, queen bed (so soft! I slept like a baby!), flat screen tv (small, but it was fine), CD and DVD player. (Hint: they have a list of movies that you an borrow in the welcome packet. We didn't see that until the next day, but again, we were hardly in our room. Now, I could see if you were with a significant other, that might be a good idea for a night in.) A walk-in closet with a mini-bar. (Of course, the prices are outrageous, so we took out all the stuff in the mini-frig and put our own stuff, some drinks, snacks, etc.) The bathroom was fine, a bit of paint peeling on the door, but it is an old hotel and I'm sure it'll get fixed in order of priority. They are doing a lot of construction in front of the hotel, and that is kind of a hassle, especially as we left, there was a bit of a traffic jam and I had to drive my friend's nice, new Ford Mustang thru a gravely part and it scraped the bottom of the door a little.

The amenities at the hotel are great. We took full advantage of everything! The Hammam, the sauna, the cold rain showers,the steam room. (All of that is free!) The pool is an infinity pool, where you just walk in and it looks like it just drops off at the end. The hot tub was so relaxing; there is a hot and powerful waterfall that massages your neck and shoulders. And then there is the Arctic Plunge. I definitely had to get up my courage to jump in there. 50 degrees! But do it, just for the experience. My friend got a massage ($120 for 60 minutes) and I had an attendant come and draw me a bath. That was a really cool experience. I picked out my bath salts (soothing, coconut and mandarin), paid $25, and sat in my bathrobe waiting for the attendant. When she came, she was so lovely and sweet. She ran the water, making sure it was warm enough, then poured in the salts. Once she left, I disrobed and stepped into the bath. There I was, naked, having a bath outside. It was amazing. (Our patio where the tub is, was behind curtains, so no one could see, unless they really tried.) I would definitely recommend doing that. We also had mud baths. That was really cool, sitting outside covered in mud, letting it harden all over your body and then stepping into a tub to rinse off. My skin never felt so soft after I pampered it so much!

The staff was friendly. There are definitely beautiful people who frequent this hotel. I'm no model, but I never felt uncomfortable walking around in my bathing suit. (Maybe because I don't really care.)

South Beach is great - Lincoln Road reminds me of Europe. Everyone eating outside, walking, it's wonderful.

Some downsides: the dining is limited and expensive. We ate one night by the bay and we got 3 appetizers to share, water to drink, and our bill was a bit ridiculous. There are NO restaurants within "walking distance." They have soft water, so it is terribly difficult to get all the soap off. I hate soft water. All the construction is a hassle. You have to valet park and that is $22 a day. And then when you want your car, it takes them about 15-20 minutes to go get it since they park it off property. If you didn't know the hotel used to be called The Lido Spa Hotel, then it is easy to pass because you can't really see The Standard sign on the building. Oh...and this is just being picky....I hate the way they put The Standard upside-down on everything. Okay, we get it, you are trying to be eclectic. I think it just comes across as silly and pretentious.

But besides those few things, The Standard is definitely a place I will go back to.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends