“Better than I expected. But a no thrills hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Spray Beach Hotel

Ocean Spray Beach Hotel
Ranked #175 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Albany, New York
“Better than I expected. But a no thrills hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Great cafe and diner not far. Hot spots 3-5 blocks away. Tour office closes at four. Bus stops close by. We were on the fifth floor. The rooms looked clean. Bedding looked clean& new. There was a tv and a radio In each room. Beach is a short walk. The receptionist gave us the wrong room number. Either she is dyslexic or inept. Decent basic assistance but they didn't go out of their way to be social or helpful. Free wifi on ground floor. Old public computer available for free but too slow. Very nice patio with tables, chairs and big red umbrellas with the subway icon. Wifi free outside too. This hotel is great for vacationers who just want a room to sleep in. Vacationers who spend the day at the beach, Their nights out and just need a place to crash at night and take a decent shower in the morning. There is no pool or any reason to stay by the hotel unless you are just relaxing or having a sandwich. They do not have a ramp but they do have a lift for the disabled. But they do not offer it for luggage. So you have to carry your luggage up, one by one. They do have a water cooler in the lobby. That was nice. The lobby looked clean but the furniture was old, warn and needs replacing. Good rule of thumb, if the couches are ripped up, replace them. They do allow you to leave your luggage in the lobby by the desk or in the lift, but its not their fault if it rolls away. If They could install a cage or something for luggage storage with a lock, that would be a big plus. Due to allergies, when we booked we asked for a feather free room and asked if they could do a good cleaning due to my dust allergies. The room I stayed in seamed fresh. The other room seemed a bit stale and needed a good airing out. This is not a luxury hotel. There is no feathered bedding, no breakfast unless you count the subway and no thrills. The subway was great. Clean and fresh. Great customer service! Remember to bring subway coupons! Cafe not too far. Pricy but good. Ample seating outside. Dinner a walk or bus ride away. Good food, decent service. There are other hotels around with restaurants in them. There was no bad subway smell or loud noises from the other rooms. There are few sights and nothing to do but shop, walk around or go to the beach. There are no chain stores or malls near by. Overall it's good for singles and young families who are active and don't need or expect much from their hotel. My friends and I just needed a hotel for one night and were able to pay $50 a night. For us it was a fine choice.

Room Tip: There was construction going on behind the hotel when we stayed.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mistyfan69

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Indonesian first
  • Slovak first
Oldenburg, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014 via mobile

Avoid the highest floor- too loud (aircon)
Good rooms and bathrooms, old building with dirty window frames (windows were clean, though), just one block from famous Miami Beach (and a nice hotel bar/restaurant across the street)
Parking is a nightmare during the day (metered everywhere) so avoid bringing a car, even late it's hard to find parking
There are some small places to get food and two or three restaurants close by

• Stayed April 2014
Richmond, Va
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

The title says it all but while in Miami the other day the ocean spray tried to charge my credit card but I change the card numbers every 6 months. What happened is new managment would not allow me to drop my name and hold the room for me in good faith as old managment has done. So I called and let them know I would not be staying with them 14 days in adavance. The night I was in Miami the ocean spray called me to let me know they wanted to charge my account for not showing up and asked to give me my new number to charge me. SHAKEY!!!!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank svencat

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

Needed a place to stay last minute while in Miami Beach. Most hotels on hotels.com & other sites have hidden charges & multiple taxes. I'm not cheap but don't like trickery. I came across Ocean Spray Beach Hotel. I've stayed in Miami Beach many times, and I know unless it's 5 Star, most small hotels aren't worth it. Ocean Spray is in North Miami Beach (41st & Collins) Nice beach here and only about $10-$12 cab to South Beach. The hotel has been renovated. Staff was pleasant. The bed was (I think a memory foam) if not it was delightfully comfortable! I found room to be clean and ideal for my unexpected stay. The lobby hosts a Subway Sandwich shop in case you get hungry. I'd come back to the Ocean Spray Beach Hotel :)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank stefanonyc
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

I loved this trip mainly because I got engaged on this trip right across the street on the beach and she said yes! I will always remember that. It was cool they had a subway In the lobby and it always smelled like good sammiches lol so it was like you were forced to get something on the way in or out. Room was decent staff was nice overall a good trip

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Jaydham
South Boardman, Michigan, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

This hotel is no luxury resort. It is a lower cost hotel in Miami Beach that is right across from the beach. Our room ( a king, so it was one of their "deluxe" rooms) was very spacious and was clean. The furniture seemed newer and was in great condition. The bed was comfortable. A bit softer than I prefer, but did not feel broken down or saggy. A lot of hotels make it feel really nice in the lobby and public areas, but the rooms are outdated and run down. This is almost the opposite. The lobby area is worn and sparse, but the room was surprisingly nice.

The staff were attentive and courteous. We didn't have any need to work with them as we had no problems with our stay at all.

The windows in the room are old and thin. This made our room pretty noisy in the evening. If you can't sleep with some light "city noise" this might not be a good choice for you. We heard some sirens (not far from a hospital) and some loud cars most, but also planes and the MetroBuses. We didn't hear any noise from the neighbors in the hotel though.

One really big downfall for this place, for me, is that there is not free WiFi in the rooms. The WiFi in the lobby is free, but it doesn't extend to the rooms. If you want WiFi in the room you have to pay 10+tax every day. I get it that fast internet still isn't cheap, but that should just be a part of running a hotel in this day and age. We mostly used our data on our phones, and my husband was able to connect to nearby hotels if he was sitting in the very corner of the room. If you need to stay on business and need a fast reliable connection, it might be best to look elsewhere.

One last thing to mention is that this hotel (and all the others in this immediate "walking distance" area) does not have a large variety of places to eat. There is a Subway in the lobby, but they don't participate in the national $5 dollar footlong deal (a footlong when we were there was 7.50) and a Carrabas (also didn't participate in nationally advertised deals). It appeared that there was some higher end restaurants nearby, but not really a lot going on in the eatery department.

Overall, it was a good value for what we wanted, but we might try to find an area with more food within walking distance next time we stay without a car.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Heather S
Beer Sheva
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

At the corner of Collins and 42nd, it is about 2 Km from the main action, a quick bus ride or 20 minutes brisk walk.
The Good: price, room, location.
All rooms have a small fridge (empty), coffee machine, some have also a microwave,
We even found a parking on the corner of 42nd. free for the night and only $1 per hour. But once you catch one, don't move the car :).
The not so good...and for some even very bad... the Subway sandwich bar, located in the lobby smells terrible, and the smell is felt throughout the whole building, the rooms being the only exception.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple