“Very Nice Hotel, Far Off From Entertainment District”
Review of Ocean Spray Hotel

Ocean Spray Hotel
Ranked #193 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Very nice hotel for what we paid to stay there. The location was a little far off from where we hung out majority of our time in Miami. The hotel is located on the 41st block of Collins and the entertainment and shops were between 2nd and 15th of Collins. Ocean Spray has a Subway sandwich shop which stayed open late and open early and the front desk staff was great the time we were there. We had issues with the ice machine being broke but the front desk staff had no problem gettinf ice for us. Beach access was across the street and there was also a Walgreens on 41st which was right on time for anything we needed. I would most defitnely stay here again if I just wanted to come to Miami to relax. The location is quiet during the day and at night.

Room Tip: Ask for room with views. Our room on the 3rd floor had a view of a vacant building.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank 230JohnsonE

Reviewed July 11, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed two nights at The Ocean Spray and really enjoyed it! It is in a good location really close to the beach. It's actually right across from the beach, but the view is blocked by all the newly built extremely tall oceanfront properties. You literally can walk across the street to the beach, which for us was a huge convenience. The rooms were clean and a good size, we loved them. We had two separate reservations for the beginning and end portion of a cruise we took. The 1st night we had a King bed and a corner room, very nice and well worth the $140 we paid for the 4th of July. Very affordable, very clean, quiet area.

Cons:

Not much to eat around this specific area. There is a subway downstairs, which was nice. But the workers were awful.

Our first room had some mildew on the bathroom ceiling.

All in all, for what we paid it was a good place to stay. I had no huge complaints. You can't expect to pay the price of a 2 star hotel and get the accommodations of a 4 or 5 star hotel. We enjoyed the Ocean Spray and would stay there again. Hope this helps.

Room Tip: Corner room on higher floor, very big and you can get a few of the ocean. Or if you stay on the back...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 30Travels
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I booked this as a "surprise hotel" on a popular travel website. It was misrepresented as a 3-star hotel. Upon arrival, we were informed there were no rooms available in the hotel, so we were directed to a "sister property" 1 mile away.

The building was an apartment/condo building with no front desk or other hotel services. It took 5 minutes to even get the unit's door open (it had no door knob) - a call to the hotel itself was no help as the clerk said he had never been to this property and didn't know how to help me. I was finally able to enter to find a sparsely furnished studio apartment - it was clean but by no means a 3-star hotel, and it had no on-site hotel services.

We opted not to stay and returned to the Ocean Spray to turn in the key card and get the receipt back for a $100 key deposit. Upon arrival at Ocean Spray, we were greeted by FIVE police cruisers surrounding the hotel, with officers in the lobby and outside. I returned the key and informed the manager we were not satisfied with our room and would not be staying, and he told me a room at the Ocean Spray had just opened up - it appeared he was offering me the room of the person being arrested at that moment!

Be warned about the "bait and switch" practice and stay away from this place...

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TyngsTraveler
Reviewed April 24, 2013

My husband and I just returned from our trip to Miami and we stayed at the Ocean Spray. We got there very late but the front desk service was kind and quick to check us in. Our room was very basic; it had a very comfortable, fluffy bed, clean bathroom, refrigerator and flat screen TV. We didn't have a view really, just the side of the building next to the hotel, we didn't care, we were barely in the room long enough to enjoy a view. The Subway downstairs in the lobby was pretty convenient, we had a quick breakfast and lunch there one of the days we were too lazy to travel to Ocean Drive. We crossed the street and went to the beach and it was very nice. There are some bus stops around the hotel so if you wanted to ride that instead of a cab to get down Collins Avenue you can, it was very convenient. If we got a deal like we did again, we would definitely stay at this hotel again. It was worth it.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ANTravelers
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I arrived to the Ocean Spray Hotel on a Sunday during ULTRA Music Festival which I was not attending. The hotel was full of college students who were on vacation and wanted to party. I was in town of a business conference which required me to be up at 6am and not back until 10pm daily. Upon arriving to my hotel I was already disappointed because a week prior I sent an email requesting a quite area because of my work schedule.

I was given a room on the 2nd floor right off the street which I thought would be extremely noisy. I went to the front desk and spoke to a young lady who was very indifferent to my needs. I asked why I was given a room right off the main street especially since I asked for a quite area she told me “how were they to know that it would be loud” I asked if tomorrow I could be moved to a higher floor and she said “Well were sold-out” and then once I told her I could not stay there more than one night she said “Well your still going to be charged”.

I must inform you that I am a General Manager of a limited service brand hotel and was there for a Carlson Business Conference. I was upset and decided just to leave and register for my conference. I came back to the hotel around 10:30pm that night and I fell right to sleep without any noise. I woke-up and truly was happy with my stay outcome so far, than I go to shower no hot water at 5:30am.

I go to the desk and find the most helpful night auditor who showed the first sign of customer service and actually apologized and the problem and gave me the GM and the Controllers names to talk to so that we can fix the issue. I came back and informed the controller what the problems were and she also apologized and moved my room. After that I have no issues what so ever.

The gentleman at night is a very friendly and provides the level of service one would expect for any chain hotel. While I did not have much of a conversation with the night auditor she too was very accommodating. People have commented that the lobby smells like a subway sandwich shop well it does because there is a subway inside of the lobby.

All and in all would stay again at this hotel however, not on business. The rooms were very clean except the carpet (nasty!!) and the amenities were just what were necessary to get by. The lady who works Sunday was not very pleasent however, everyone else was.

Room Tip: Room 606 was a nice corner room however, dont expect a high floor even if you request it.
Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 7, 2013

In general, the service was very poor, everywhere smells of a subway sandwiches, there are very small rooms, It doesn't have a parking space, you have to pay for an internet connection, The air conditioning is noisy, I will not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Julian R
Reviewed March 7, 2013

The room was ok but a bit worn out. Carpet was dirty (use your flip-flops). Bed was good. Quite a lot of noise enter the room from nearby streets through old plexi-glas windows (use earplugs). Staff at the reception was friendly and helpful. The hotel is located a bit far away from all activities of Miami Beach (restaurants, shopping); next time I would book a hotel 20 blocks south from this. Anyway, you can have a nice 10 km morning run from the hotel to Ocean Drive and back. Overall: decent place in this price category.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo