“Not the Best for Business Okay for Leisure”
Review of Ocean Spray Hotel

Ocean Spray Hotel
Ranked #184 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
USA
“Not the Best for Business Okay for Leisure”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I arrived to the Ocean Spray Hotel on a Sunday during ULTRA Music Festival which I was not attending. The hotel was full of college students who were on vacation and wanted to party. I was in town of a business conference which required me to be up at 6am and not back until 10pm daily. Upon arriving to my hotel I was already disappointed because a week prior I sent an email requesting a quite area because of my work schedule.

I was given a room on the 2nd floor right off the street which I thought would be extremely noisy. I went to the front desk and spoke to a young lady who was very indifferent to my needs. I asked why I was given a room right off the main street especially since I asked for a quite area she told me “how were they to know that it would be loud” I asked if tomorrow I could be moved to a higher floor and she said “Well were sold-out” and then once I told her I could not stay there more than one night she said “Well your still going to be charged”.

I must inform you that I am a General Manager of a limited service brand hotel and was there for a Carlson Business Conference. I was upset and decided just to leave and register for my conference. I came back to the hotel around 10:30pm that night and I fell right to sleep without any noise. I woke-up and truly was happy with my stay outcome so far, than I go to shower no hot water at 5:30am.

I go to the desk and find the most helpful night auditor who showed the first sign of customer service and actually apologized and the problem and gave me the GM and the Controllers names to talk to so that we can fix the issue. I came back and informed the controller what the problems were and she also apologized and moved my room. After that I have no issues what so ever.

The gentleman at night is a very friendly and provides the level of service one would expect for any chain hotel. While I did not have much of a conversation with the night auditor she too was very accommodating. People have commented that the lobby smells like a subway sandwich shop well it does because there is a subway inside of the lobby.

All and in all would stay again at this hotel however, not on business. The rooms were very clean except the carpet (nasty!!) and the amenities were just what were necessary to get by. The lady who works Sunday was not very pleasent however, everyone else was.

Room Tip: Room 606 was a nice corner room however, dont expect a high floor even if you request it.
Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed March 7, 2013

In general, the service was very poor, everywhere smells of a subway sandwiches, there are very small rooms, It doesn't have a parking space, you have to pay for an internet connection, The air conditioning is noisy, I will not recommend this hotel.

3 Thank Julian R

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Angers, France
Reviewed March 7, 2013

The room was ok but a bit worn out. Carpet was dirty (use your flip-flops). Bed was good. Quite a lot of noise enter the room from nearby streets through old plexi-glas windows (use earplugs). Staff at the reception was friendly and helpful. The hotel is located a bit far away from all activities of Miami Beach (restaurants, shopping); next time I would book a hotel 20 blocks south from this. Anyway, you can have a nice 10 km morning run from the hotel to Ocean Drive and back. Overall: decent place in this price category.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Samuli H
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Our room was clean! Thank goodness. So many bad reviews about the cleanliness of the hotels in Miami beach. This hotel was located on north beach, Miami. Great place to be! The area was clean and the beach was 1 block away (very nice boardwalk). This hotel has a Subway sandwich shop located in the lobby (nice)...the owner of the establishment was very nice and pleasant to speak with...stop in to say hello to her! The room was definitely a good size room...remember this hotel is located on a prime street (Collins) and you will hear exotic cars (Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati..etc) stretching their legs late (2-4 am) at night from one block to the next. If your a light sleeper (me) this can be an issue..if your a heavy sleeper (wife : )) no problem. I booked this hotel through Travelocity's top secret hotels...you don't know the hotel name you are booking...it worked out for us nicely, saved us some money and stayed in the area we really wanted to be.

1 Thank JC T
Toulouse, France
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

On entering hotel you are hit by the smell of a subway cafe as it is the first thing you see as you enter the lobby. The entrance area is very basic. The staff are friendly and helpful. There is no parking at the hotel but valet parking is avail at 25 dollars per day. There is also a public park, but that can cost 40 dollars for 24 hours. Evening parking from 6pm to 7.30am costs about 20 dollars. Alternatively you search the streets for a space.

The room is basic. There is a lot of noise as the windows are very old standard with no soundproofing. The walls are thin so you pick up noise from the adjacent bedroom.
The room was supplied with a safe, but half the numbers did not work.

The room was not very dark as the curtains were short and did not meet properly at the middle, so let in light from the street. In my colleague's room the curtains were thin and did not block any light!

I do not recommend to stay here on business. It's ok for a casual holiday weekend if you are not restricted by lack of breakfast facilities or being disturbed by traffic noise and want a low cost break. I had to go to a close by hotel for breakfast.

I finally checked out 4 days early to move to another hotel.

Wifi is available at a cost of around 11 dollars for 24 hours.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Simon P
woodside
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Super friendly counter people. Really worn out blankets, hotel? or motel? reminds me of really old movies of kids going on spring break for a week. Slept on top of the blankets afraid of what's underneath. Whenever someone flushed the toilets upstairs, heard the after affect on our bathroom. Official subway sandwich shop on main floor,so therefore the sandwich smell wreaked havoc throughout. had my eyes open the whole time since whenever car went by you could tell what kind of car it was by the sound of engine. panoramic view of the if the driveways of residential co-op buildings. you could literally be eye level with your neighbor if you open your window, and give eachother sandwiches. the neighborhood is near North Beach, not south beach. i suppose i wouldn't have complained so much if they charged like $89 range instead of $200 range, even though it was booked at the last minute to avoid the snow storm in new york..

Room Tip: do not choose corner room or choose at all
1 Thank ellegirl727
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Hopefully that got your attention. DO NOT stay here! This place pulled a bait and switch on us. Some idiot named Adam there was holding a room for my gf and she took a 20 minute cab ride from Mia airport, only to find out he gave the room to someone else when she got there. When a hotel is low quality like this they should depend on good customer service, but their customer service is AWFUL. This created an absolute DISASTER for us. I will save you the time of being ripped off. Stay ANYWHERE else. If this was the only place available I would rather stay sleep in a cardboard box or at Osama Bin Laden's house. The "manager" Becky is atrocious. When I informed her about the bait and switch she just mouthed off to me and hung up. Yep, more crappy customer service. When the "manager" is this bad, you know its a terrible hotel. Hopefully this review saves you from the agony we experienced from this hotel. Find another hotel where they treat you like a human being because you may get unlucky and get Adam or Becky and then you're doomed.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends