“A Homey Oasis Off the Beaten Path”

European Guesthouse
Ranked #23 of 28 Miami Beach B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I had family coming to town recently, and put them up at the European Guest House. I wasn't sure what to expect given the tenor of some of the other reviews, but took a chance. Boy, did it pay off!

The European Guest House is set in the middle of the residential neighborhood known as Flamingo Park (or Zone 2, if we are going by Miami Beach residential parking zones). It is a 5-10 minute walk to the beach, bars, clubs, and restaurants, but the neighborhood itself is quiet, so if you come back to your room and want to get some sleep, you won't be kept awake by the throbbing bass of the bar/club/slow-driving automobile with the 600-terawatt audio system outside (a problem that almost all of the hotels on Ocean, Collins, and Washington Ave have to a greater or lesser extent).

In fact, European Guest House does not even have a sign on its front, though you can still see the marks in the paint where the old script-style letters used to be. It blends in seamlessly with the neighborhood around it, which could lead you to miss it if you aren't careful.

Our room was modest, but a bit larger than the rooms we've had at SoBe You (another B&B a few blocks away). The bed was comfy, there was some stylish, though Ikea-esque furniture, and the room was clean. The bathroom featured a shower that was truly European: why do they refuse to put lips to keep water in the shower? Is it supposed to be accessible to Daleks? Plus there is that shower nozzle contraption that you've seen in Italy and Germany that looks like a payphone from the future. It worked, however, and the water pressure was good and the hot water came slowly but was hot when it arrived. The sink did not have hot water, but was "being fixed soon."

I was concerned that the location of the room near the front door and "lobby" area would get noisy, but it did not. The door to the room was not hung well; it scraped on the floor when it opened, and you could see daylight at the top when it was closed, but it was secure enough for us.

The yard/patio area was lush with vegetation and had nice tables; the manager had about 3 or 4 mosquito-repellent coils burning when we arrived, but as it has been dry and cool recently in South Beach, mosquitoes have not been much of a problem in my yard a few blocks away. In the summer and fall when it is wet, they are bad everywhere.

The wifi worked well; the manager/owner/??? was pleasant and had a Teutonic sense of humor.

Note that the European Guest House has NO parking facilities for guests; you can park your car at one of the local lots or garages after you drop off your stuff. The closest one is the garage at the Publix/Best Buy. Entrance is on Lennox between 5th & 6th streets, 1 block west and 1.5 blocks south of European Guest House. $1/hour, $20 per day.

In summation, if you desire a reasonably-priced basic B&B experience in a good location, you won't go wrong here.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Gordon13798465

Reviewed January 30, 2013

I spent a long week there and had a great time in Miami Beach. The staff at the guest house was also very nice. But the place was so full of mosquitos when I was there in october 2012 that it was absolutely impossible to stay att the courtyard. They were repairing the place though, so maybe it has changed since.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Ertigo
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed at European Guesthouse in November 2011 and had nothing to complain about. The room was modest, moderate but comfortable and clean.
The patio was a really nice place to chill:Tropical plants all around, whirlpool, nice lighting.
The humble owner (I dont remember his first name) was really nice, friendly and helpful.
The atmosphere was very familiar somehow.
Admittedly not everything was perfect but this well located guesthouse is affordable compare to other places in the neighborhood and you can not expect a 5 stars service for this rate.
Depending on my budget, I'll probably book this guesthouse again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank homelolo
Reviewed May 22, 2012

My wife and I booked 2 weeks at the European guesthouse. The location wasn't in a very good neighborhood. The Wi-fi was not connected in any way. We were booked two weeks before coming and the only thing I said was make sure the wi-fi was up and running.

Also there was no hot water turned on. When it did get turned on we had to call the next day to have a breaker replaced.

I talked to Carlos and explained why we would be leaving early. At first he wanted to give me a ticket for a free stay within 9 months. I declined. Then he wanted to charge me an increased rate that would have had me paying him more for leaving. I declined.
We came to the agreement that it was only fair that he refund what I paid for the remaining days.
2 weeks pass and nothing. I call him. He says he has handed it over to his "booking department" and doesn't provide me with their info when I asked.
I have confirmation emails from him agreeing to our terms.
I wrote him again today, but it is looking like it will have to go the legal route.

Room Tip: Don't rent the 515 ne 67th location.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank jamestmD
Reviewed February 14, 2012

Spent a week in this Bed & Breakfast which was like a "Tropical Oasis" in the middle of Art Deco, South Beach, Miami. After arriving, I chose the room with the terrace and private bath. That was the way to go! It resembled something out of the South Pacific Musical. Our friends loved the ambiance in the evenings, on the terrace, as we sipped our wines in the moonlight. Mornings were a soothing quiet and calmness. All types of breakfast foods were provided for you to indulge in with fruits and cakes all day long. It was only a walking distance to the beach, restaurants, and shops from this quiet residential area. The proprietor, Carlos, was more than happy to help you with any concerns. The manager, Robert, is a super nice man who provides you with a lot of information, service, and is available at a moments notice. Wifi is provided as well and the hot tub is inviting. Again, go for the room with the terrace, it was worth it especially compared to some of the prices around the area.

Room Tip: Recommend the bedroom with the terrace and private bath.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Yvette B
Reviewed December 8, 2011

I chose the Guesthouse because hotels near the Convention Center were wildly over-priced (all of Miami Beach is over-priced). Carlos quoted a great price and then asked if I wanted it to be a bit lower! I didn't; it was a bargain at the rate he quoted. My room was on the small size but fine for one person. The upside was the very large private terrace outside the sliding glass doors. Great spot to hang out in sun and shade. Because the terrace was also covered (plexi, so transparent) it was great when it rained, as well.

Another impressive side of the Guesthouse was the breakfast: eggs were available to cook on the griddle. Nice! Plus a lot of other food to choose from, including fresh blueberries and blackberries. All included in the price.

The walk to the beach is easy; being back a bit is good because the surrounding streets are very quiet compared to the blocks closer the the beachfront.

It was a nice inexpensive choice, it's not the Ritz Carlton, but then you pay $20 there for a bagel. At the Guesthouse a good, hearty, healthy breakfast comes as part of the price.

Room Tip: Ask for the second floor room with the private terrace!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank William B
Reviewed November 4, 2011

Everything about the place was gross.
I was afraid of bugs and kept checking everywhere.
I definitively would not get in the hot tub.
I got in late and had nowhere else to go so I stayed one night.
I moved to another hotel as soon as I could
Carlos promised to give me a refund for the nights I didn't stay there.
He lied...he never sent the refund and now won't take my calls.

Room Tip: there are no good rooms
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple