“No Wi-fi and absent manager.”

European Guesthouse
Ranked #24 of 28 Miami Beach B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 22, 2012

My wife and I booked 2 weeks at the European guesthouse. The location wasn't in a very good neighborhood. The Wi-fi was not connected in any way. We were booked two weeks before coming and the only thing I said was make sure the wi-fi was up and running.

Also there was no hot water turned on. When it did get turned on we had to call the next day to have a breaker replaced.

I talked to Carlos and explained why we would be leaving early. At first he wanted to give me a ticket for a free stay within 9 months. I declined. Then he wanted to charge me an increased rate that would have had me paying him more for leaving. I declined.
We came to the agreement that it was only fair that he refund what I paid for the remaining days.
2 weeks pass and nothing. I call him. He says he has handed it over to his "booking department" and doesn't provide me with their info when I asked.
I have confirmation emails from him agreeing to our terms.
I wrote him again today, but it is looking like it will have to go the legal route.

Room Tip: Don't rent the 515 ne 67th location.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank jamestmD

Reviewed February 14, 2012

Spent a week in this Bed & Breakfast which was like a "Tropical Oasis" in the middle of Art Deco, South Beach, Miami. After arriving, I chose the room with the terrace and private bath. That was the way to go! It resembled something out of the South Pacific Musical. Our friends loved the ambiance in the evenings, on the terrace, as we sipped our wines in the moonlight. Mornings were a soothing quiet and calmness. All types of breakfast foods were provided for you to indulge in with fruits and cakes all day long. It was only a walking distance to the beach, restaurants, and shops from this quiet residential area. The proprietor, Carlos, was more than happy to help you with any concerns. The manager, Robert, is a super nice man who provides you with a lot of information, service, and is available at a moments notice. Wifi is provided as well and the hot tub is inviting. Again, go for the room with the terrace, it was worth it especially compared to some of the prices around the area.

Room Tip: Recommend the bedroom with the terrace and private bath.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Yvette B
Reviewed December 8, 2011

I chose the Guesthouse because hotels near the Convention Center were wildly over-priced (all of Miami Beach is over-priced). Carlos quoted a great price and then asked if I wanted it to be a bit lower! I didn't; it was a bargain at the rate he quoted. My room was on the small size but fine for one person. The upside was the very large private terrace outside the sliding glass doors. Great spot to hang out in sun and shade. Because the terrace was also covered (plexi, so transparent) it was great when it rained, as well.

Another impressive side of the Guesthouse was the breakfast: eggs were available to cook on the griddle. Nice! Plus a lot of other food to choose from, including fresh blueberries and blackberries. All included in the price.

The walk to the beach is easy; being back a bit is good because the surrounding streets are very quiet compared to the blocks closer the the beachfront.

It was a nice inexpensive choice, it's not the Ritz Carlton, but then you pay $20 there for a bagel. At the Guesthouse a good, hearty, healthy breakfast comes as part of the price.

Room Tip: Ask for the second floor room with the private terrace!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank William B
Reviewed November 4, 2011

Everything about the place was gross.
I was afraid of bugs and kept checking everywhere.
I definitively would not get in the hot tub.
I got in late and had nowhere else to go so I stayed one night.
I moved to another hotel as soon as I could
Carlos promised to give me a refund for the nights I didn't stay there.
He lied...he never sent the refund and now won't take my calls.

Room Tip: there are no good rooms
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Malcolm K
Reviewed October 13, 2011

There's a fine line between charming/characterful and old/in need of renovation. This place treads that line carefully.

Overall i quite liked the place, but my expectations weren't exceeded and the flashy descriptions and photos on their website translated to overgrown/unkempt and in places dirty.

Prices are reasonable, location is ok. I won't be going back, but only because I'm not planning on going back to Miami. I've stayed at much much better places on Miami Beach.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 1, 2011

We enjoyed our stay at the European Guesthouse B&B. I chose it on-line partly because of its reputed good, big breakfasts and relatively reasonable price. Our room was pleasant, with windows on two sides and a comfortable bed. We were on a quiet residential street, an easy 7-block walk from the beach. Our proprietors were friendly and helpful; enjoying our stay was important to them. We had reserved a room with shared bath, but when we got there they gave us a room with private bath at no extra cost, as there was one available. The breakfast lived up to its reputation: my friend cooked his own eggs, bacon, toast, and hash browns, and I enjoyed the various breads, cereal, fruits and yogurt. Every day there was a big bowl of fresh fruit, and also cut up strawberries, grapefruit, and melon. There were sweet rolls, cold cuts, hot dogs and condiments available, and one day there was pancake batter. The fruit bowl and sweet rolls were available all day. We’d go back.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Honor_11
Reviewed February 25, 2011

My husband and I were lured in to this hotel by the beautiful photos and positive reviews that we read. Please don't fall for this trap!!!

We were let in the house by a man wearing cutoffs and a wifebeater. Nothing else says class quite like that! The "lush gardens" were overgrown plants surrounding rusted out refridgerators and overturned jacuzzi tubs. The "cozy" rooms were tiny and incredibly shabby furniture with thin hollow core doors with only a knob lock. NOT SECURE! The bathroom ceiling had mold, the whole room smelled of mildew (probably because they hadn't even turned on the window unit AC until we were taken to our room and this is in south Flordia!) and to top it all off when my husband pulled back the top comforter there was blood on the sheets.

Convinced that we would be murdered in our sleep we called Expedia (who we booked through) and were able to arrange another hotel thank goodness because there was no way in hell that we were staying in this creepy hotel!! Of course since we had already checked in they charged us for the night even though we were there less than 30 minutes. Seriously this place was bad. It could have been a set for a horror movie!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple