“we were the catch of the day”
Review of Mi Ami Italian Cafe - CLOSED

Mi Ami Italian Cafe
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: It is The Latest Truly Italian Experience in Ocean Drive. From Breakfast to Dinner you can Taste our Famous Pizzas & Italian Chef's Specialties. At Night the Atmosphere transform the Beautiful Terrace in a Lounge Bar, with Wine and Cocktails from our Unreal Barman. It's the Perfect Spot before going to Nikki Beach, at just 5 minutes walking distance. Come to Taste the Italian Love for Food!
Montreal, Canada
“we were the catch of the day”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We come down to Miami twice a year,and we are always enthousiastic to add new places to enjoy a good meal.
After reading all the great reviews of this restaurant we went and try it out,the waiter would not leave while we where trying to look at the menu and suggesting to take the fresh branzino finally convinced my wife and I took the mixed fish grill,the waiter was insisting that I add a lobster to my choice or at least a half a lobster but I declined his offer.
My wife took a plain salad has an entree and I took an endive +pear salad with blue cheese walnut vinaigrette.
I received my salad but with no pears,according to the waiter they ran out of pears at 4:00pm.
My wife got the branzino with on the side 2 slices of grilled zucchini,2slices of grilled egplant and an asparagus split in 2.
I have to say I got a nice plate of mixed fish on bead of arugula,and on the side french fries with the same 2 slices of veggies with no seasonimg what so ever.
The big surprise was the bill a whopping $192.93 we where charged 70.00 for the branzino and 45.00 for my mixed grill I can only imagine what they would have charged me with half a lobster.
We told the waiter that the 70.00 branzino was really exagerated, and truly this place does not reflect these exagerated prices. One thing is for sure we will never go back, if you want to go stick with the menu or else you will be the next catch of the day.
p.s. we went to Bella Luna in Aventura mall and I had the branzino with a nice variety of vegetables and at only 38.95. in a first class restaurant with a first class service...

• Visited April 2013
Christian F, Owner at Mi Ami Italian Cafe, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
My Dear Friend, I feel sorry to hear you were disappointed with our prices.
I can see you enjoyed the mixed seafood and I'm trying to understand how much would you like to pay for 1 kg of branzino (yes, our branzino is 35oz)

Hoboken, New Jersey
“excellent food and service”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Excellent pizza and mussels. Service was great! People were very nice and knowledgable about wine selection.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank sweetiepie65
London, United Kingdom
“Good lunchtime special”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Nice waiter, very chatty and friendly (until some younger women arrived to attract his attention, but he's Italian so.....). Had a very reasonably priced lunchtime special and the food was fine, but nothing to get excited about. No complaints, apart from the exorbitant price for bottled water, but they're not the only place guilty of that. A fairly standard Italian place in a good location.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank MickB824
“Great service & excellent lunch specials”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Very friendly and knowledgeable staff. Lunch specials can't be beat for both price and taste. Enjoyed the Italian Birra at the end of the day before turning in.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank GypsyWriterBarb
I like you enjoyed the lunch special, not so many people know we are open from morning until night and at lunch time we are a friendly restaurant, for Miami Beach residents and some tourists.
When you want to enjoy a nice meal with Italian birra (beer), after a busy working morning, come by and many special lunchs will be waiting for you.
Louisville, KY
“Get a Pizza to go, but skip the sit down meal”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We ate here twice. The first was their $7.99 pizza special which we got to go. This was great. Took it back to the condo and enjoyed! Nice crisp crust and fresh tasting toppings.

Our second visit a week later was for a sit down lunch. We had planned to have pizza again but unfortunately their oven was out of service. My wife ordered the chicken fajita (Italian style) and I the Penne with red sauce. Both were advertised as lunch specials for $8.99. Our server brought us bread with olive oil & vinegar. The bread was OK. We each had ice tea. The chicken in the fajita was horrible, lots of gristle, fat and even a small bone. This was a shame as the tortilla and the rest of the fajita seemed quite good. We pointed this out to our server and the manager (I presume) quickly came and apologized and we were subsequently brought a second Penne in place of the fajita. I felt they handled the mistake pretty well, though given the grossness of the food a complementary meal was in order (but I did not ask for it). At this point I'm thinking Mi Ami is about average. However, when we got the tab I was not amused to see that each tea refill (2 each) was charged at $3 a pop – a total of $18 for ice tea. Outrageous, even in SOBE! When I questioned it, they took 2 of them off – not satisfactory IMHO. Insult to injury was added with a mandatory 18% service charge. Total tab with tax & tip for 2 was $40.

We really liked the pizza we got here last week to go, but we will not be returning for another sir down meal. We might at some time get another pizza special to go.

• Visited February 2013