“Newcastle girls in Miami!!!”
Review of Ocean Five Hotel

Ocean Five Hotel
Ranked #107 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

Had an amazing stay at the ocean 5 hotel this October. The rooms were small for more than 2 guests but it made it all the more fun (well for us crazy drunken fools anyway) the reception staff could not have been nicer, Easton the bell boy was very helpful with our nightlife arrangements and advice on Miami in general! Shout out to Easton!! Our Miami 'dad' Andy on reception gave us great advice on what trips to do.. Even advice on what sun factor we should be using too (for the ginger skinned among us) he made our stay so welcoming and enjoyable too. The night time staff David from Cuba and another guy who's name we didn't catch American young lad were more then helpful with ordering our mid night pizza munchies and our drunken behaviour! Everyone there made our holiday so special. Restaurant staff were a tad irritating, generally ignored them so was easy to deal with. Food in the restaurant itself was delicious and cooked to perfection, try the pizzas they are the best and for sweets the chocolate soufflé was to die for! Reasonably priced for south beach too! Thanks to ocean 5 for making our first time in Miami very memorable. Much love the 3 Newcastle chicks Kate , Emma and Joanne. If anyone wants further questions email me kate.armstrong25@yahoo.co.uk

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank KateandLaura

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed here in 2005 on a trip to Miami with my parents. I was hoping that maybe the hotel has improved since then but from reading the more recent reviews it doesn't sound like it has changed very much at all. I've stayed in a lot of hotels in various places around the world and I think this was one of the worst. I'm not really a high maintenance kind of person so as long as a place is clean and in a good state of repair then it's fine by me. It doesn't need to be modern or plush. With that said, I considered changing hotels and if my parents hadn't been with me then I probably would have. They didn't think it was that bad but I was not impressed. One of the other reviews is entitled Ocean Dive and that was exactly how I referred to the hotel. Generally grubby and could do with a reasonable amount of attention in most areas. I wouldn't stay here again and wouldn't recommend.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Adrian D
Reviewed September 21, 2012

This was a last minute change due to Virgin Holidays completely mucking up our original holiday. Therefore, the only hotel Virgin could offer. On arrival we were sent out of the hotel, down the road and through the restaurant next door to a floor above the restaurant. However, I was not ready for the cracked floor tiles, the hole in the window (which looked like a bullet hole) and the solid wood window shutters which did not close properly - oh and the brokenwindows which either could not be opened or were jammed open. Our intention was to use this hotel as a base for ten days hiring a car for 3/4 days, however, we ended up hiring a car for the last 7 days and stayed in hotels outside of Miami to keep away from this hotel. If you are on 18-30 holiday I am sure it would suit, but certainly not for us - Virgin please take note. K - London

Room Tip: I don't think there are any good rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kaye H
Reviewed September 17, 2012

There was a public bus...airport flyer...from miami airport which stopped just down the road of our hotel which made getting there very easy. And it only took 30min. The receptionist(with some cool piercings) was polite and friendly. There was free wifi which work well and a computer in reception if needed...always a plus. We had to take a small flight of stairs to our room as our side didnt have a lift. Which was a little annoying with our bags but managable.The bedroom was basic and the beds not very comfortable. The bathroom too was basic but the shower nice and big...just wish it was a bit stronger though. The biggest downfall though was the ''continental breakfast'' which was toast juice coffee apples and oranges. Not great it saved us some money. Main positives are the staff and location.

• Stayed: September 2012
4  Thank monick213
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I read mixed reviews about this hotel. Our experience was awful!!! Our room was on first floor of the same building as the reception desk. It was really small and the bathroom hardly reach 1sqm but the worst things were the windows! No curtains at all, windows falling down and…people from the street and parking outside can see inside our room!
Therefore, really annoyed and disappointed, we asked for a new room, located on the second floor. The room was changed the following day and to reach it we should walk in another building and through the dining area of the close restaurant!!!
Once again the room was very small and dark, with dark rough-wood furniture (probably more appropriate in a Mexican b&b). The bed was uncomfortable and “noisy” and all the room had a filthy smell.
The continental breakfast is basically white toast and diluted orange juice!
On a positive note the staff were quite nice/helpful and the beach is 5 minutes away.
I would NEVER recommend anyone I know to this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank mezapp
Reviewed August 2, 2012

this was the second time i've stayed here and the staff were once again fantastic as always and willing to help. we only went for breakfast twice and the selection isnt great but its still free so you cant complain.

the hotel offers free beach towels which is handy.

The room i stayed in this time was very spacious (not that the last one wasnt)

free wifi throughout hotel and a computer in the lobby too.

Joshua again organised some excursions for us to the everglades which we enjoyed.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Stayed here just for one night excellent location just 100 metres from Ocean Drive. Rooms where clean with two large double beds in them very comfortable. Only issue was room was a bit small if staying longer and did smell a little bit of foist but the person I was staying with does have a highly sensitive snout - I did not notice that much.

Good selection of free toiletries.

Breakfast as included in the price but it was basic just toast.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends