“A place to Sleep.”

Ranked #119 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Waco, Texas
“A place to Sleep.”
Reviewed May 5, 2014

This is a place to sleep and that's about it; if you can stand the smell. We stayed in room 319 and there was an odd smell the entire time. We also had to pay a 15 resort fee for each person which was not mentioned until checkout. This is not anywhere close to being a resort. You pay for location to stay "close" to South Beach. If this hotel was anywhere else it would go out of business.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KandJ-Texas
Aaron G, Manager at Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to personally apologize for all the inconveniences that you had while saying with us. Its very unfortunate for us to read about these problems you encountered as there could have been immediate solutions put into action while staying here. Regarding the smell in the room, a room change could have been done right away to ensure you were more than satisfied and comfortable on vacation. Also, there is a $15 resort fee however it is charged per room and not per person as that sometimes can be misinterpreted.

We do appreciate you choosing to stay with us.

Aaron Gusky

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Montevideo, Uruguay
Reviewed May 1, 2014

It is an old hotel and they are probably not too worried about mainteinance or renwals as its location is wonderful. Breakfast is available for those who want to pay for it and they also have a small swimming pool. Its located on Collins street, which is un unbeatable location.
Staff is not great, but on the other side, they have a good pub just next to the lobby. Not horrible, but they could do a lot better

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Andrea C
Aaron G, Manager at Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

First, we would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us on your visit to Miami Beach. Hearing about the customer service being unsatisfactory while staying with us is very unfortunate as it is only right that our staff gives nothing less than exceptional customer service to all our guests. On a positive note, we are very glad you enjoyed the bar here at the hotel.

Thanks again for staying with us and we hope to see you again on your next visit to Miami Beach.

Aaron Gusky
Reviewed April 28, 2014

The Dorchester Hotel is a mediocre property in a desirable area. Given the prices and demand on South Beach, they would probably stay in business, even if they told the truth. However, they don't. The advertised rate for "paradise" does not include a mandatory resort fee of $15.00 that is applied after check-in, even if you are just staying the night. It simply appears on your check-in statement. In an interesting irony, your car may "disappear" if you fail to inquire about the $30.00 parking charge. In my case, I was advised that my car, parked in the hotel lot, sporting handicapped plates, would be towed since I had not purchased a parking voucher. It was 11pm at the time, four hours after we had checked in and I was told that it was too late, I would have to vacate my space and park three blocks away. Apparently "ADA" was beyond the conceptual abilities of the desk clerk who conveyed annoyance and apathy in each word that she mumbled as she slouched behind the counter. The room itself, which required climbing stairs "Handicapped" again not registering with our intrepid clerk, was hot, muggy and smelled mildly of what appeared to be mold, inhabiting the bath. It was difficult to tell which was more annoying, the smell, the dampness which clung to sheets and stuck to our skin or the unending din of the traffic outside and the ancient window unit air conditioner that made up in noise what it couldn't deliver in comfort. Apparently, handicapped, in their language, meant climbing a staircase to sit in the middle of traffic. "Manager" apparently was also a foreign term, as he never appeared, despite numerous requests. Did I mention the adorable little refrigerator that didn't work, the "free" happy hour that actually incurred a per drink service charge or the unventilated bathroom? Since my card had been charged and I was unable to get a refund, this little piece of heaven cost us $170.00, not including the $14.00 dollar breakfast served in the "free" breakfast lounge. I decided to refrain from that bit of generosity as I was already broke. Not to worry, the hotel may cost more than you bargained for but the misrepresentation, poor service and the sinus headache are free!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
9 Thank Jusween

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Bergen, Norway
Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

Nice location and close to the beach, but dank rooms with non-operational AC in either of the two rooms (apartments). One apartment was ICE-cold with no possibility of adjusting the temp. In the other the handles on the ancient control panel had broken off.
The worst was however the staff. The receptionist was rude, and the most unhelpful we have ever met. We are a family and ALWAYS request adjacent rooms. The Dorchester is the first that did not honor our request at all. They put us in completely different places - 50 m apart! And we had to go outside, down and up stairs to get between them. We requested new rooms but were told this was not possible. BUT when we demanded to cancel our reservation suddenly a room next to one of the original appeared. No apologies were offered, and the receptionist even tried to interrupt me while I explained the situation to the manager.

Avoid at all costs! There are so many better hotels nearby!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Aaron G, Manager at Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to send my deepest apologies to you and your family for the inconveniences you had while staying at our hotel. It is not up to our hotel standards to provide poor customer service and as a manager I will do everything I can to ensure that it is nothing less than exceptional in the future. As far as having rooms adjacent to each other, it is something that can be done only if the availability allows us to do so. During the time of your stay the hotel was extremely full and my front desk staff were trying to accommodate you and your family as best as they could.

We do appreciate you choosing to stay with us.

Thanks again.
egg harbor twp
Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

Great location (about two blocks from the beach), pool, drink specials. Good customer service. Def. Would stay here again. Make sure you find a good deal though. Although I loved this place for the price I paid, I would not pay four star prices here. Thanks!

• Stayed April 2014
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed April 21, 2014

The outdoor area, rooms, and decor were lovely but dealing with the staff was a bit of a challenge (except for Cynthia, she was amazing). When we got there, a man checked us in at the front desk and I had a few questions since I had never booked or dealt with a hotel on my own yet. It seemed as though we were bothering him. When I asked about the fiances, he told me that nothing would be charged except a $150 deposit and that wouldn't be charged they were just going to hold the funds. He made me and my cousin give him a credit card each because we had 2 rooms (even though I told him that I was paying for everything). We left him alone after that because I felt like I was bothering him. That night me and my cousin got messages from our banks that $1275 had been charged to our cards. That's a little more than $150. We straightened it out the next day with a much more respectful and competent person. It turns out that he failed to mention that they would be holding the balance plus the deposit, That was just one of the difficulties I encountered with this hotel. I was at the front desk at least once a day during my 5 night stay trying to fix something or getting our keys to work again.

Also, I am not the type to complain but the amount of time i spent on my vacation trying to straighten things out was a little ridiculous. I had a great trip and was glad this hotel was not a million dollars a night but I just wish the staff was a lot easier to deal with. Cynthia was awesome though, she needs a promotion!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank KatieeCakess
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2014

First impressions were not good. An harrassed and probably incompetent receptionist kept me waiting for at least 10 minutes whilst she struggled with some basic function on her computer and was quite unfriendly, unhelpful and disorganised.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Hugh M
Aaron G, Manager at Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

First I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us. After reading your review, I am extremely apologetic about the poor customer service that you received while staying at our hotel. It is not up to our hotel standards to give poor customer service and I will do everything I can do ensure that it is nothing less than exceptional going forward.

Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again on your next visit to Miami Beach.