“WATCH YOUR CREDIT CARD FOR ADDITIONAL FEES!!!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Dorchester Hotel

Dorchester Hotel
Ranked #142 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
“WATCH YOUR CREDIT CARD FOR ADDITIONAL FEES!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011

While the hotel was in a great location, the rooms were decent, and the staff was very friendly- upon leaving the hotel with incurred charges of the hotel, $10 resort fee, and $29 overnight parking, I was charged an additional $19.22 from supposed minibar charges!! After calling the hotel they said they would refund me and I asked what should be done to avoid this. The customer service rep suggested put all contents of the minibar into a bag and give to front desk. I highly recommend doing this of you stay at the Dorchester!!!

• Stayed June 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank ZAL0000
Dear ZAL0000,
I am so sorry about the minibar mistake. We are currently restructuring our minibar process in the hotel, and I apologize for the confusion this may have caused you. We do not want something like this change your mind about our staff or your experience. We are always looking for ways to make sure our guests leave satisfied, and wanting to come back. We took care of this and I would personally like to inform you that if the refund was not processed I will personally see to it and feel free to reach me at the hotel.
Asst. General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Finnish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

We stayed at the Dorchester Hotel from June 3-6. We had a suite which was plenty of space for 5 people. The doorman Derek was the greatest. He made our stay great and made sure we had whatever we needed. There was a leak in the bathroom above the toilet which he was able to fix. The other ladies were out most of the time and me being the only pregnant one spend most of the time in the room. He made sure he was available if I needed anything. Derek and Angel made the BEST breakfast. It was cheaper than going to another hotel for food. Overall it was a great stay. The front desk was always helpful and helped with whatever needs we had. It was a great trip over all.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mrs_Boss_Ladi
Dear MRS-BOSS-LADI,
With a nick name like yours, I can easily tell who is in command when you are vacationing, and I can see that both Derek and Angel realized that as well when they made you breakfast. It makes me real happy to know even though you were expecting, you found time to have fun and enjoy our hotel. I will personally let Derek and Angel know about your compliments, and my staff, as well as myself, could only hope you come to see us again real soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

We stayed for one night, liked the place, not the ritz not bad either. Staff was friendly and helpful until we received charged for using the minibar which we didn't take anything from. When calling and asking to remove the charges the staff was rude and hung the phone up on me saying I would be refunded....time to wait and see!

• Stayed June 2011
4 Thank Kennan1212
Dear KENNAN1212,

First of all, I would like to apologize for the person that was rude on the telephone. This is not the way we do things here at the Dorchester Hotel, and I would never like for any past or future guest to be treated this way. As for the minibar, I would also like to apologize for this. We were having challenges with our minibar company, and we take any service complaint, especially one of this kind, very seriously. Please be so kind to contact me if you do not receive your refund, and I will personally take care of it. Otherwise, I would not like for this episode to mark your great stay, or a future visit.
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

We stayed at Dorchester on Collins for three nights. We were lucky and got a corner handicapped room so we had plenty of space. The room was cleaned well daily and the beds for super comfy. One complaint about the room was how hard it was to regulate the temp but we did have an AC unit. It was only because our room faced the sun.,Also the bathroom doesn't have any counter space for toiletries besides a shelf over the toilet which was risky.
We were in walking distance of all the South Beach attractions and only two blocks from 18th street beach. The hotel gave us passes for beach chairs and an umbrella for everyday we were there for 10 a day. The hotel pool had nice lounge chairs and plenty of shade. It felt very private.
My favorite part of the Dorchester was the Q Bed in the front courtyard. It is the most comfortable thing ever! I sways and it is always in shade so it was my favorite place to hang out.
Oh another thing, loved the desk staff in the evenings and Derek the multitalented valet.

Dorchester made my first trip to Miami a great one!

Room Tip: Request a corner room
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank TiffanyL8
Dear TIFFANYL8,

I can tell from reading your review that you really got to enjoy South Beach and our hotel as well. Our evening staff, from Derek to Alexis to Sameena all enjoy being able to be a part of all of our guests stays. I will personally send them your kind words, and we hope to have you next year with us.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

My expereince with this hotel was fantastic. The staff was courteous, our room was gorgeous and clean and updated. The cleaning staff never bothered us while we were sleeping. The pool was great later in the day and there was a nice bar downstairs of South Beach. The location was perfect if you want to be close to everything but not smack in the center. There was nothing I didn't like about this hotel and again, I'd DEFINITELY stay here next time. Thanks Dorchester for a lovely experience.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JPalombo
Dear JPALOMBO,

Your review leaves little room for anything to add. All I can say is THANKS from all of our staff members who serviced you and look forward to having you with us again.

Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

Be wary of the mandatory $10 per night resort fee in addition to your nightly rate. It's very irritating - if it's mandatory then why break it out? Only to deceive customers that they are getting a better deal than they actually are.

The decor is cute - contemporary retro, but everything feels worn. The bathrooms have new modern looking fixtures, but literally other than the shower head and the faucet, you can tell it's an old bathroom. The toilet bowl was a little dingy too.

We stayed in the suites, which are apartment size and quite spacious. I would guess 700 sq feet. The sofa is a pull out. The two beds are double and very comfortable. The walls are thing though...so I could hear baby screams and foot stomping at 8am this morning and last night.

The location is right across from the shore club on collins ave. A few blocks away from Lincoln avenue and just by the 19th street and Collins ave stop for the bus. With bus 150, I was dropped door to door from the airport for a mere $2.25.

• Stayed May 2011
5 Thank lucyolive
Dear LUCYOLIVE,
Thank you for writing a review about your stay. It always helps us improve to have our gusts feedback. We would like to clarify that our $10.00 resort fee is not a hidden charge, as it is clearly posted on our website and registration cards, as well as all of our 3rd party sites. In addition, the resort fee si responsible for cool things like our WI-FI, unlimited beach towels, daily Happy Hour from 7PM-8PM, discounted bike rentals, 2 lounge chairs and an umbrella directly on the beach of 1741 Collins Ave. (less than a block away), and access to all the oceanfront amenities of the Marseilles Hotel as well. Your review mentions location and good value. I would like to say that service is our other flag, and our staff wears it well! As for luxury, that is a relative term. There are over 200 hotels in Miami Beach, and if you see our reviews and our pictures, you can be the judge. Luxury hotels have their crowd and their merit, but we like to think that you are special, and in a 500 room plus place, with soooooo many employees shift after shift, well, it's hard to remember your name and why you are here. We like to think of ourselves as the hotel that offers an alternative to that. If location and value won't break it for you, well, our friendly smiles, worn by the same people you will see everyday, well, that will make your vacation worthwhile.
Grand Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

My family enjoyed our stay at the Dorchester Hotel. The rooms were recently remodeled, were clean and neat, and the beds were awesome. We had a cute, functional a kitchenette that came in very handy. The atmosphere was warm and friendly, and there was a piano to play in the lobby. There was a bar with a great happy hour right in the nook of the hotel, along with a large swinging hammock (as big as a bed!) amongst the beautiful trees. The landscaping made you feel like you were in paradise.

I recommend staying here - you won't be disappointed!

Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank hola77167
Dear HOLA77167,
Greetings from Paradise! It was great having you with us. it makes me real happy to know you loved our signature floating bed, rocked our piano, and enjoyed our happy hour. We really love it when a guest is able to appreciate and enjoy all aspects of our hotel. We hope to have you soon with us, and don't worry, the piano and floating bead as well as our friendly staww will be here waiting to greet you again.
Come back soon,