“Great hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta
“Great hotel”
Reviewed August 4, 2007

The first thing you notice when you walk into this hotel is the fragrant air! I don't know what they are pumping through the vents, but this place smells absolutely wonderful! The hotel is in a great location on South Beach. My room was very clean and
beds were comfy. I really have no complaints about this place! The breakfast buffet is a bit on the expensive side, but well worth it! The next time I return to South Beach, this is definitely the hotel I will stay in!

• Liked — The cleanliness of the hotel
  • Disliked — The spa didn't live up to expectations
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank KoolKev

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (913)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
new england
Reviewed August 2, 2007

I stayed at the Loews Miami Beach Hotel in South Beach in early June, 2007, for four nights. My stay was fully paid for by a corporate sponsor, which made all the arrangements for my room.

I had visited Miami several times, but I had never stayed in a hotel there until this occasion. My previous visits to South Beach were limited to dinners on Lincoln Road and brief drives down Ocean Drive to enjoy the Art Deco hotel facades lit up for the evening.

After this visit, I must admit that I have no further interest in the area, which I found to be run down, depressing, incessantly noisy, unfriendly, and just plain not very nice. Ft. Lauderdale is far and away more pleasant and more affordable.

The Loews Hotel is quite large and caters to corporate gatherings of small to medium size. It has a spacious traffic circle to accommodate buses, minivans, taxis, etc. For those with a car, public parking garages are nearby that offer affordable rates. The hotel offers valet parking at exorbitant rates.

The lobby is quite large and is decorated with attractive floral arrangements of the hotel variety. The open floor plan includes spaces for sitting, drinks and snacks, the elevator bays, a small gift and sundries shop which also sells the local newspapers, and the check-in desks.

All of this would have been much more pleasant if it had not been flooded, 24 hours a day, with loud music played through a sound system that included the elevators. The music was so loud that it made transacting business rather difficult. Apparently silence is banned.

My room was small, had dirty windows, and reeked of cigarette smoke. However, it was very nicely decorated; and all the furnishings were skillfully color coordinated.

The bathroom was a vision of marble and gold fixtures but lacked counter space for personal items. It was stocked daily with heavily scented toiletries and included fluffy bathrobes, a telephone, and a hair dryer.

All the usual electronic devices were available, as well as a mini-bar stocked with items at truly amazing prices. However, remarkably few television stations were offered.

Housekeeping services were a bit spotty and came so late in the day that I wondered why they bothered. Otherwise the hotel staff was very good. They served in the corporate welcome room for four days running and did a lovely job. They also did a wonderful job at a welcome dinner on the first night.

The sound system extended to the outdoor areas. I must say it is very odd to walk through a grove of palm trees, each one emitting SoBe vibes from hidden speakers. It is also annoying. Wind blowing through palm trees makes a lovely sound. Adding third-rate music serves only to ruin the experience.

The pool area contains a large pool and two smaller hot tubs. These are surrounded by a row of cabanas, dozens of deck chairs, and a bar at one end serving food and drinks. Everything was attractively landscaped. The speakers were not so hidden this time. After some exploration, I was able to find a spot far enough away from the speaker to lie in comfort.

The pool attendants (and there are dozens) stand ready to help organize a chair, towels, pool toys, etc. On weekdays, the pool was not very heavily populated. On the weekend, every chair was taken; and more had to be brought out from storage to accommodate the crowd. Through it all, the pool itself remained largely empty.

Waiters circle the pool continuously, taking and delivering orders. The menus are cabled to the backs of many lounge chairs. The items were expensive, even by SoBe standards--$16 for a hamburger, $25 for a sandwich platter that included French fries, $8 for a mixed drink, and $6 for a bottle of water. Lunch for two easily could run $60. I saw more than one person consuming food from nearby fast food establishments.

There are two exits from the pool area to the beach, both accessed by room card. These also lead directly to the pleasant pedestrian way that runs between the hotels and the beach itself. This is nice walk, running north-south for over a mile, that showcases both the beach and the hotels that line it.

Emeril’s restaurant is part of the hotel complex, and my group breakfasted there each morning of our stay. The food was good, and the décor was very pleasant. Other than that, I did not eat in the restaurant, which is conveniently located across the courtyard from the main entrance to the hotel itself.

The hotel is a short walk away from Lincoln Road with its many shops and restaurants. It is also 1 ½ blocks from a transvestite strip club, with a lovely gourmet coffee and sandwich shop directly across the street. This is still a mixed area, with the rough spots being pretty rough.

The hotel seems to draw families, as well as corporate groups, and a number of young singles who don’t know how to behave in public. One morning at 5 a.m. I discovered two young women rolling on the carpet in front of the elevator, howling with laughter, and clearly both drunk and stoned. They were making enough noise to wake me and draw me out into the corridor to find out what was going on.

This is not a hotel that I would have patronized under any other circumstances. I don’t know what the room rate is, but I wouldn’t want to pay it. I also wouldn’t want to be in this area. The bottom line is that South Beach is still pretty seedy. There are better places to spend your time and money.

Stayed June 2007
6 Thank peony48
Brighton
Reviewed July 31, 2007

We stayed at the Loews during our honeymoon in July. We originally only planned to fly to Miami from Las Vegas to get our cruise, but after a disappointing stay at the second hotel the Mandalay Bay (the Wynn by the way is out of this world) we called our friend in Washington who looked on Trip Advisor and saw that the Loews featured very highly.

We called the hotel direct and booked a deluxe part sea view and flew down to enjoy the July 4th weekend in Miami. We were blown away with the decadence and character of the Loews and all the South Beach art deco buildings and really enjoyed our 3 nights, the only thing was that it had top dollar prices, even more expensive than Vegas!

We ate at the legendary Joe's Stone Crabs and whilst I enjoyed the yummy seafood, my husband dined on their ribs- which it has to be said is the best we've ever tasted in the States!

The Loews hotel itself has great facilities- a beautifully landscaped pool area with direct access onto the beach and the smell of the foyer, was so fragrant, that every time you walked in, you instantly smelt this beautiful fragrance, probably pumped through the air con. The room itself was very comfortable, only downside being the bathroom was on the smaller side, but this is Miami and not Las Vegas.

We would highly recommend the Loews Hotel.

• Liked — Great location, stunning pool
  • Disliked — Having to pay for our room despite checking in at 9am the following day after our flight delay
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lecajo
Manalapan, New Jersey
Reviewed July 27, 2007

This was my fourth stay at the Loews South Beach and I was very disappointed. My first room had a horrible animal smell in it. I know that it is a pet friendly hotel, but they need to do a much better job of cleaning up after the pets. And it took over an hour to get a new room (which did not smell).

Another problem was the parking. They have a major traffic congestion problem. It could take 5 minutes or longer just sitting at the hotel to wait for enough cars to clear out to get to the front door/valet. And when picking up your car, you really need 20-25 minutes notice (and we were told the hotel was 1/2 empty -- I would hate to see it in high season).

Last of the complaints, they do not seem to honor Loews First Members. Every time I stayed there I used the same corporate travel agent, and was given the advantages of a Loews first member. This time, although i paid a full fair, we were told we would not get the benefits (including free use of the gum and a late check out).

On the plus side, the pool and beach is nice, and they do give out a number of free thinghs during the day. But overall I will not return to the Loews South Beach.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the pet smells
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
6 Thank sm122097
florida
Reviewed July 23, 2007

The resturant adds a 18% service charge to the bill. Not noticing it I added additonal 18%. The waiter got 36%. Should have been informed of the service charge added. Trying to correct the problem with the resturant ( Prestons)

Stayed July 2007
New Orleans
Reviewed July 22, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed here because I had a seminar at the hotel. Now I'd go back in a heartbeat just for fun.

The hotel is very attractive. Our room (a standard king) was spacious, and the bathroom was modern, with high end toiletries, etc. The bed was comfortable, and the linens were high quality.

The location of the hotel is fabulous - right in the middle of all of the South Beach action. We could walk anywhere we wanted to go.

The hotel bar is just okay - we left the hotel to go out to some of the more popular restaurants and bars.

The pools are large, and thankfully there always seemed to be enough lounge chairs. The attendants were quick to get us fresh towels, though the bar service was sometimes slow. Also, the cabanas were not right next to the pool, which seemed strange to me (we did not rent one).

Although this hotel is not typical South Beach art deco, it is very modern, and so convenient and comfortable - the perfect anctidote for a night out on the town.

• Liked — Its location first, the comfortable beds second
  • Disliked — No complaints.
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank nolachar
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2007

I stayed at this hotel at the end of March this year as part of a competition prize. Things nearly got off to a bad start as my reservation seemed to have vanished, however the lady at the front desk helped me find someone to get it resolved. In addition I also had problems with my card being okayed for the incidentals, but again the idea at the front desk was to politely and quickly find a solution. In the end this delay actually worked out for the best as I seemed to get the best room out of any of us in the group being on the 15th floor with a partial ocean/beach view. The hotel had set up a small pre-dinner buffet for our group with cold beers, wine and some finger foods which were great (and almost ended up ruining our meal that evening).

I had breakfast in the hotel both mornings which was varied and plentiful though perhaps a little artificial tasting (though that would be a little harsh). Service was good despite the breakfast area being busy. It seems the staff are fully aware of what is expected when everything includes an 18% service charge as the lady that served me coffee on the first morning remembered how I took it on the second. Though not overly modern the hotel was very clean, we even saw them repainting the pool area one morning even though it seemed in a perfectly good condition.

My room was clean with a decent view facing the Saint Moritz tower part of the hotel with a partial view of the ocean. Bed was large and comfortable, nice flat screen TV and iPod dock/alarm clock which was handy. Plenty of storage space (though I was only here for a few days and didn’t need to bring much). Turndown every night with small tins of sweets/mints left. Also there was a newspaper at the door every morning which was nice.

I didn’t really try the pool during my stay or have a chance to try any of the restaurants at the hotel. The location of the hotel seemed good with the beach right behind and many shops only a short walk away. Whilst in Miami we got to eat to Vix which was very good indeed and at the Blue Door which gave us the chance to have a look at some of the nearby trendy hotels to see if we were missing out on anything. I think in the end the relaxed atmosphere at Loews was about right for a short and busy trip after a long flight from the UK.

It is hard to judge whether or not this hotel provides value for money as I didn’t have to pay anything for my stay and I have no idea how much was spent on my room etc. However in the unlikely event of me ending up in Miami Beach in the future I would certainly consider staying here if the price was right.

• Stayed March 2007