“Great hotel for a family, but pricey”

Loews Miami Beach Hotel
Ranked #53 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 21, 2005

We just got back yesterday from a 5 night trip to South Beach. We chose the Loews Miami beach because of its good reviews and location. We were not disappointed, however taken back by the high prices for the food, drinks, beach chairs, etc.
My husband and I have traveled to South Beach several times without children, but this time took our 3 kids (from 5 months to 9 years old). The staff was extremely helpful and friendly from the moment we arrived. The hotel and grounds are very clean and lovely. Upon arriving, our children did not get their "welcome packs," but the staff made up for that with a gift certificate to the gift shop. The rooms were nice, but on the small side for a family of 5. The pool is great - very large and heated. There's an excellent walk in area for small children - a gradual incline of water (like the ocean). This worked out really well for our 2 1/2 year old and many other toddlers staying at the hotel. Plan to arrive early morning to get your chair, towels and cushion set up by the pool. The chairs get taken fast! Many people tend to stay by the pool since you have to pay for a chair and umbrella at the beach. $10 a chair and $15 for an umbrella.
There's great food and drink service at the pool and beach, however very expensive for both! $16 bucks for a burger and $14 for a frozen drink to wash it down! We were thankful that we had been there many times before and knew where to eat. Many great restaurants, fast food joints, coffee shops, etc. are within blocks.
All in all it was a great place to take the family. The hotel, beach and location is fantastic and our kids as well as my husband and I really enjoyed ourselves. I would definitely recommend this hotel and stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2005
8  Thank leeleebeanCt
There are newer reviews for Loews Miami Beach Hotel

Reviewed April 19, 2005

This is a trendy place perfectly situated in one of the most electric few blocks of North America. I love the rooms of thenew tower, pool and cleanliness of the hotel are outstanding. I've been to South beach 10 or more times and this is the best place to stay. Some might find it expensive but the prices reflect any other Loews Hotel. If your in Canada try the Loews Vogue in Montreal. Will go bak to the Loews Miami Beach and try the original building St. Moritz next time.

• Stayed: April 2005, traveled on business
6  Thank MTL-fashion
Reviewed April 11, 2005

I went to South Beach for a girls weekend with 5 friends. This is the ump-teenth time that I've been to SoBe and have stayed at many of the hotels there. We chose the Loews b/c I wanted a 5-star hotel and the Shore Club, and Delano would not allow a 2 night stay on the weekend we wanted.

The Hotel is great, very clean, large rooms, very helpful and accomodating staff...

If I had to complain, it would be about the following..... The price of the room was $30.00 a night less than the Ritz Carlton (not a big deal). I didn't stay at the Ritz Carlton b/c we thought it might be a little too quiet for a bachelorette party..... However I think I prefer the Ritz Carlton for the following reasons. at the Ritz Carlton you don't get charged for beach chairs (Loews charges $10.00 per day) the Ritz Carlton has hotel vehicles that will drive you to a nearby restaurant, etc..., and the Ritz Carlton will give you a late check-out at 4:00 PM instead of 2:00 PM at the Loews..... Little minor things, but things to take into consideration when you are at a 5-star hotel.

All in all though, the Loews is a great hotel, in a great location, with very friendly, helpful staff and service.....

• Stayed: April 2005
15  Thank thezucca
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 8, 2005

I was on business alone and thought I'd try the Loew's Hotel based on the rating it was given. However, I would not recommend going to this hotel unless you have your children with you. It was too big and noisy. The hotel itself is beautiful inside but the gym could use some serious updating. It was a lot smaller than advertised. I thought it was a joke you had to pay $10 per day to use a beach chair, they should be provided free of charge. That probably explains why the people with children hung out at the pool. The room service food was good, I didn't try any of the resturants. I found the staff very friendly.

• Stayed: March 2005, traveled on business
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 29, 2005

My family and I just returned from our long weekend and I must say that if your travelling with small children and a dog, you might want to go elsewhere. From the moment we arrived the design of the hotel is luxurious but the service truly isn't. As members of the loews first we did not receive our amenity gift till the third night, they did not have the rented dog bed until the second night, and the kids were not given their gifts until the next day and this is after SEVERAL conversations with the manger and advanced notice of our arrival.

I must say that it is a beutiful hotel but service is lacking. Valet takes 20 min. + to get your car. Everything is overpriced but that's South Beach for you.

On a positive the Prestons staff is wonderful but that's it. The best part was the THREE times the pool was closed because someones child used it as a bathroom and let me not forget the Spring Breakers who were loud and actually started a fight on the 10th floor.

As a mom of two I would definately suggest going further up town to the Fountain Bleu of even the Sunny Isles area. This is not the place for you.

• Stayed: March 2005
8  Thank namiuc
Reviewed March 22, 2005

We go to Miami every 6 months or so from London, and we used to stay at the Roney Palace, so this time we HAD to stay at the loews if we wanted to stay in South Beach. Excellent (5*) service, massive pool, we were even upgraded to a suite as we'd requested for 2 dbl beds.
Everything was great but the rooms were a bit 'compact' as compared to roney palace, and the fact that it was a suite. No dining/living area.

• Stayed: October 2004
4  Thank neil699
Reviewed March 17, 2005

I just returned from the Loews Miami Beach and had a great time. The pool and beach are beautiful. It is in a great location - just a short walk from the best bars and clubs in South Beach, but still far enough away that it isn't noisy. The staff was very friendly and accommodating - I asked for an ocean view with a balcony and they gave me one on the top floor with a wonderful ocean view. Even the waiters that serve you on the beach were so friendly and helpful about recommendations for restaurants, bars, etc. This is an expensive hotel (no getting around it), but if you're staying in this section of town, it's tough to find bargain hotels that are right on the beach. I enjoyed my stay at Loews and would recommend it to anyone who wants to stay in South Beach.

7  Thank alldaytravel75