“Ok...”

Loews Miami Beach Hotel
Ranked #50 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 29, 2013

I stayed at the Loews hotel for a conference and extended my stay for a few days extra.

Check in:
Check in was fast and easy and the woman at the front desk was very courteous and helpful. She processed me very quickly and gave me the information I needed.

Room:
This is where this hotel 'lost' points. I got a room in Building 2 (where the spa is). Have to say, that this building looks a little 'tired'. Carpet in the lobby area of this building are stained and dated. Our room (10th floor) was ok. Furnishings were quite basic and not what you would expect of a hotel of this calibre. Carpeting both in the hallway and in the room seemed 'dated'. On the positive side, the rooms were very clean, plenty of towels and the washroom was roomy.

Further, I didn't like the fact that I had to pay $14.95 per day for wifi. I have stayed at Comfort Inns and other similar type hotels where the wifi is simply included. With the price of this hotel, you would think that this 'basic' service would be included.

Location:
The hotel is in a superb location: on the beach and right in between Lincoln Street (shopping district) and Espinola Way (restaurants). Everything is within walking distance and this made this location superb.

Pool/Beach:
The pool is large and has lots of lounge chairs. The best thing I've seen is the 'terry cloth' chair covers that are provided, along with a large towel. The chair covers are tailored to fit the lounge chairs and don't slip off. They are very comfortable. Pool staff are very nice and looking to make everyone comfortable. I appreciated the flavoured water stations. This was awesome!

As noted by others, you have to pay to rent chairs on the beach. I suspect that this is because its not part of the hotel property but the price makes it too steep if you want to just sit there for an hour or two.

We did not have dinner at any of the restaurants in the hotel but they do have a very convenient breakfast bar in the morning with everything you need for a decent breakfast. Its not included in the price of a room but is not much more expensive than what you would get out of the hotel.

Overall, while I think the hotel was 'ok', at this price, there are lots of other options. It has portions of 'luxuriousness' and yet in other aspects, it lacks the 'finer' details.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building. From what I understand, they are a bit better than in the spa...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (7,049)

Reviewed November 27, 2013

Ok hotel but we checked in at 3pm and wanted to sit at the beach for a half hour and going out it is 13 dollars per chair. There were 4 of us. Wifi in room is 14.95 also and the rooms are each 500 per night. This hotel is just ok but it is a total rip off.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank NYEYEMD2000
Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

As we pulled into the hotel the valet was very friendly and welcoming. Many men came and opened all of the doors for us and were very polite. Our first impressions of the hotel were very good but they almost immediately changed. The woman at the front desk misspelled our name in the system and told us our reservation had been cancelled. When we requested to speak to another employee as she was not being helpful she told us that we would have to go to the back of the long line. When we refused another employee came to our assistance and resolved the issue. We had 2 rooms, one for the kids and one for the parents. Both rooms were very nice with nice beach views and the proper beds that were requested. When we went to the beach and asked for chairs we were told the charge was 13 per chair. Considering we're paying 450 per room per night this charge was unacceptable. We declined and sat near the pool. After an annoying first day at the hotel I went upstairs to do some work on my laptop only to find that there was a 15 fee for low bandwidth wifi. These charges are absolutely unacceptable for a hotel this pricey. My family and I travel a lot and stay at mostly high end hotels. I have never encountered this many ridiculous charges. I do not recommend staying at this hotel and we will not be returning.

Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank jared5240
Reviewed November 27, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night. Although the hotel itself doesn't have a great bar or night life, it's literally a 5min walk from SLS and Delano, so in a really good location. Also only a short walk to Lincoln Road if you want to go there for food or shopping.

We used the car valet service which was $40 for the night and great service. The room was lovely, quiet and very comfy beds. From having stayed at a few other hotels I get the impression this one is very family friendly and the the pool was full on the Saturday morning with people and children. It's also right the beach the hotel which is perfect for a morning run!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We visited the Loews Miami Beach for a long weekend to celebrate my birthday. Chose this hotel based on its location in the middle of South Beach and amenities (pool and beach). Booked a luxury King room (partial oceanview). I suspect that we may have received a small upgrade as the room we were given was on an upper floor, had a balcony and a great ocean view (I was thanked for being part of the Loews reward program at the time of check in, so maybe that had something to do with the room assignment?). We were also able to check into our room several hours early--it was ready for us when we arrived at the hotel ~1pm. Front desk staff were incredibly friendly and helpful (some of the best service I've received at a hotel). Room itself was nothing to write home about; very basic. At the Loews, I think you're really paying for location and the pool scene. Pool is good sized and they cram a bunch of loungers in to accommodate people. The weather wasn't the best while we were there, so we didn't have a problem finding a chair, though I suspect in busy times if you weren't at the pool early, it would be harder to get a chair. The south end of the pool deck was in total shade by 1pm, so we moved to the beach after that. The Pool restaurant/bar is very convenient, and the food was surprisingly good, but pricey, which seems to the be keyword here. Another example: we had a friend pick us up at the airport and spend the first day with us at the pool and beach. $32 to valet her car for 4hrs.

Over all a nice trip. I would go back to this property, but only if I found a good deal for the room.

Room Tip: High floor room had a great ocean view. The balcony was nice: we sat out on our balcony for several...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 23, 2013

I've stayed here probably a dozen times or so for business - I've worked at this hotel for conventions about 4 dozen times.... I'm pretty familiar with this property.

Make sure that when you make your reservation, you are staying in the Main Tower. There is a second tower - which houses the Spa. The building is much older. Even though the rooms are decorated the same as the Main Tower, they are much smaller. The windows are old and dirty. The ice machine (there is only one in the whole building) is on the Spa level. The hallways are very narrow. For me, it was a major inconvience having to lug my 40 pound computer case up and down several set of steps between the two towers - the ballroom is in the Main Tower.

The Main Tower.... The rooms are really nice. If you're staying on the street side, make sure you're above the 8th floor. Room numbers that end in the teens have no balcony and the windows don't open easily.

The beds are not my favorite.... Feels like your sleeping on hard mud. And it's time for the hotel to change out the pillows.... Westins have much better beds!

Lots of plugs for chargers around the room and next to the bed.

The staff is very nice and helpful.

The restaurants and bars are expensive. A burger and two beers cost $38. And that was the lunch price. It was a good burger though. If you are staying there because of a conference, grab some extra waters during your coffee break - bottled water in the room is $7 per. If you're there for vacation - there is a Walgreens several hundred feet north of the hotel (they're kinda a rude though)

Overall... Beautiful hotel.... Helpful staff.... Nice enough rooms....(but it's time for a deep clean - like the carpets, chairs, curtains, and lampshades, etc...)

Room Tip: It's in my review
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank turtleSouthFlorida
Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

Flew in from London and needed to stay overnight before travelling on to Sanibel. Our fiends chose Loews on Miami Beach. The hotel is of the highest standard with top quality facilities and service. We had a standard room which was sea facing with a balcony and the room was spacious as we're the en suite facilities. No need for a suite. Excellent quality restaurant and the usual array of buffet an a la carte at breakfast.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends