“Nice Rooms, Adequate Service”

Loews Miami Beach Hotel
Ranked #52 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

As we pulled into the hotel the valet was very friendly and welcoming. Many men came and opened all of the doors for us and were very polite. Our first impressions of the hotel were very good but they almost immediately changed. The woman at the front desk misspelled our name in the system and told us our reservation had been cancelled. When we requested to speak to another employee as she was not being helpful she told us that we would have to go to the back of the long line. When we refused another employee came to our assistance and resolved the issue. We had 2 rooms, one for the kids and one for the parents. Both rooms were very nice with nice beach views and the proper beds that were requested. When we went to the beach and asked for chairs we were told the charge was 13 per chair. Considering we're paying 450 per room per night this charge was unacceptable. We declined and sat near the pool. After an annoying first day at the hotel I went upstairs to do some work on my laptop only to find that there was a 15 fee for low bandwidth wifi. These charges are absolutely unacceptable for a hotel this pricey. My family and I travel a lot and stay at mostly high end hotels. I have never encountered this many ridiculous charges. I do not recommend staying at this hotel and we will not be returning.

Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank jared5240

Reviewed November 27, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night. Although the hotel itself doesn't have a great bar or night life, it's literally a 5min walk from SLS and Delano, so in a really good location. Also only a short walk to Lincoln Road if you want to go there for food or shopping.

We used the car valet service which was $40 for the night and great service. The room was lovely, quiet and very comfy beds. From having stayed at a few other hotels I get the impression this one is very family friendly and the the pool was full on the Saturday morning with people and children. It's also right the beach the hotel which is perfect for a morning run!

Reviewed November 25, 2013

We visited the Loews Miami Beach for a long weekend to celebrate my birthday. Chose this hotel based on its location in the middle of South Beach and amenities (pool and beach). Booked a luxury King room (partial oceanview). I suspect that we may have received a small upgrade as the room we were given was on an upper floor, had a balcony and a great ocean view (I was thanked for being part of the Loews reward program at the time of check in, so maybe that had something to do with the room assignment?). We were also able to check into our room several hours early--it was ready for us when we arrived at the hotel ~1pm. Front desk staff were incredibly friendly and helpful (some of the best service I've received at a hotel). Room itself was nothing to write home about; very basic. At the Loews, I think you're really paying for location and the pool scene. Pool is good sized and they cram a bunch of loungers in to accommodate people. The weather wasn't the best while we were there, so we didn't have a problem finding a chair, though I suspect in busy times if you weren't at the pool early, it would be harder to get a chair. The south end of the pool deck was in total shade by 1pm, so we moved to the beach after that. The Pool restaurant/bar is very convenient, and the food was surprisingly good, but pricey, which seems to the be keyword here. Another example: we had a friend pick us up at the airport and spend the first day with us at the pool and beach. $32 to valet her car for 4hrs.

Over all a nice trip. I would go back to this property, but only if I found a good deal for the room.

Room Tip: High floor room had a great ocean view. The balcony was nice: we sat out on our balcony for several...
Reviewed November 23, 2013

I've stayed here probably a dozen times or so for business - I've worked at this hotel for conventions about 4 dozen times.... I'm pretty familiar with this property.

Make sure that when you make your reservation, you are staying in the Main Tower. There is a second tower - which houses the Spa. The building is much older. Even though the rooms are decorated the same as the Main Tower, they are much smaller. The windows are old and dirty. The ice machine (there is only one in the whole building) is on the Spa level. The hallways are very narrow. For me, it was a major inconvience having to lug my 40 pound computer case up and down several set of steps between the two towers - the ballroom is in the Main Tower.

The Main Tower.... The rooms are really nice. If you're staying on the street side, make sure you're above the 8th floor. Room numbers that end in the teens have no balcony and the windows don't open easily.

The beds are not my favorite.... Feels like your sleeping on hard mud. And it's time for the hotel to change out the pillows.... Westins have much better beds!

Lots of plugs for chargers around the room and next to the bed.

The staff is very nice and helpful.

The restaurants and bars are expensive. A burger and two beers cost $38. And that was the lunch price. It was a good burger though. If you are staying there because of a conference, grab some extra waters during your coffee break - bottled water in the room is $7 per. If you're there for vacation - there is a Walgreens several hundred feet north of the hotel (they're kinda a rude though)

Overall... Beautiful hotel.... Helpful staff.... Nice enough rooms....(but it's time for a deep clean - like the carpets, chairs, curtains, and lampshades, etc...)

Room Tip: It's in my review
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank turtleSouthFlorida
Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

Flew in from London and needed to stay overnight before travelling on to Sanibel. Our fiends chose Loews on Miami Beach. The hotel is of the highest standard with top quality facilities and service. We had a standard room which was sea facing with a balcony and the room was spacious as we're the en suite facilities. No need for a suite. Excellent quality restaurant and the usual array of buffet an a la carte at breakfast.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 17, 2013

My husband, teen daughter and I flew down to Miami Beach for a three-day weekend getaway, and we absolutely fell in love with the Loews. The ocean front room we booked was worth every penny, as it was comfy, lovely, and afforded us a breathtaking view!

The lobby was stunning, as was the pool area and all the grounds. On our first night, we checked in at 8 pm, and had dinner on the patio by the pool at Preston's...what a delicious dinner, and what lovely surroundings! We also enjoyed a delicious room service breakfast on our first morning (pineapple upside down pancakes with passion fruit maple syrup!), and Preston's buffet breakfast our next two days. Their juice bar, where various juice blends are made to order, was included and we enjoyed it very much (try the South Beach blend). SoBe Scoops, the ice cream/candy shop in the lobby, served up some very tasty ice cream cones, and the food served by the poolside restaurant was well-prepared and tasty. Yes, the food and drinks were pricey, but we expect that at a nice hotel.

Each and every staff member we encountered was friendly, courteous and helpful. Since the lounge chairs and umbrellas on the beach are owned by, I don't know, some company that's not the Loews, you have to rent the chairs and umbrellas daily, $13 per chair and $15 per umbrella. We didn't mind, but there are only 3 of us. Because of this, the lounge chairs by the pool (free!) were claimed by 9 am, so plan accordingly if you'd like to spend the day by the pool. There are lots of daily activities by the pool, a kids' club, and the nightly "dive in" movie, usually a Disney film, so lots for kids to do, too.

We can't say enough about the Loews, and we will definitely return someday in the not-too-distant future.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms afford stunning views of the Atlantic.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank phyllis1966
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I must admit....when I first walked into our (premium king) room, I was a little bit disappointed, which I NOW realize was misguided. The hotel is not flashy, and lacks that "sexy/edgy/hip" bling that you see in so many of the other new boutique south beach hotels. However, it did not take me long to realize the very high quality of this property, and to appreciate that the absence of flash is not nearly as important as the presence of quality, consistency, service and professionalism , all areas in which Loews excels. In fact, after staying at Loews for 4 nights, the flash and bling of other South Beach hotels actually seems somewhat garish to me and not that desirable at all. The service was superb--especially housekeeping. Not only was the room kept spotless, but our belongings were neatly and professionally arranged without any intrusiveness. Toiletries left out were neatly arranged on a towel, shoes neatly lined up in the closet, pajamas and stray clothes folded and left out where we could easily find them. The bed was incredibly comfortable and the linens luxurious. The showerhead was simple, no sprays or rains shower, yet the water pressure was uniquely wonderful making it tempting to take very long showers! The soap smelled wonderful. Housekeeping was generous and conscientious about stocking the room with plentiful and fluffy fresh towels. The pool was great, with lots of free samples (beer, Cuban coffee, etc.) being passed by wait staff. The pool bar food was delicious (hint: the Capresse Panini hasthe most incredible fresh mozzarella!). We did not eat in any of the other hotel restaurants but the cocktails were yummy. We enjoyed having our morning coffee (Thank you for in-room Keurrig Coffee maker) on our balcony which had much more of an ocean view than we had anticipated. The only two "con's" were the ugly carpeting (Loews, it is time to upgrade!) and the Enterprise Car Rental in the hotel (but that is for another review and not the fault of the hotel). Hint: if you book in advance on the hotel's website, keep checking the rates on the website every couple of days. Rates go up and down according to vacancies or anticipated vacancies and if the rate does go down, they are glad to apply the new rate to your reservation. We reserved a room at $560/night and when the same room went down to $419/night a couple of weeks later I called and easily changed to the lower rate. Unlike at some of the newer flashier hotels, the service is stellar in all departments, no snotty attitude and an obvious eagerness to please. I will definitely stay there again!