“Amazing Location, Helpful Staff, but Underwhelming for the Category”

Loews Miami Beach Hotel
Ranked #64 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
washington, dc
“Amazing Location, Helpful Staff, but Underwhelming for the Category”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

My family chose the Loews in South Beach partially for its location, but also over the Ritz and Sagamore because of its reputation of being so family/kid friendly. The location lived up to the hype, but I was a bit disappointed by our overall stay.

First, the positives. The location can't be beat. It's a short walk to all the restaurants/shops on Lincoln, which allows guests the easy option of eating off property. The Aroma Espresso bar that adorns the hotel, but is separate is fantastic. The coffee is great (beats the awful free Keurig provided complementary by the Loews in the rooms), has affordable and healthy breakfast/lunch options. The Loews staff were really nice and professional, especially to the kids, and very responsive to our requests. When we asked for a baby tub, it was at our room in less than 10 minutes. Same with the toys.

We didn't really eat at the hotel, but I was pleased by the kids menu and it's pricing at the pool (for 15 dollars net, my daughter received an entree, two healthy sides, and milk). We were also pleasantly surprised that our room had a nice balcony with views of the ocean.

Now the things I was underwhelmed by. First, given the category of the hotel (4 plus stars), I would expect the rooms to be immaculate. By that I mean no stains (or very few stains on the carpets). Or turndown service (which you have to request) that didn't just throw everything from the beds to the chairs/desks/tv stands. When we returned from dinner after having requested turndown service, we found the beds turned down, but (and maybe this was a joke), there was one of my daughter's diapers (a clean one, thankfully) on the pillows and clothes an other stuff simply thrown on the other furniture? It was pretty sloppy, but more than that, kind of strange.

We stayed here right before the SOBE WFF, thinking we would avoid the extra traffic, but the preparations for the festival took over some of the outside lounge areas for the hotel and the beach area right in front of the loews. There was also some loud construction nearby which we could hear during the day. Both of these things I wish the Loews would have warned us about before our stay.

For a hotel that has such a reputation as kid friendly, I was surprised that most of the rooms in the main wing had no bathtubs. The hotel advertises its Fisher Price closet for toys and books, which when I called to request some toys for my toddler was told the toys were more geared for infants. When we went to the front desk to see if we could borrow some kid books, the concierge told us they didn't have any, but pointed us to their store, where they had some books available for purchase.

Perhaps I'm being a bit pickier than usual, but I believe that the hotel's price point (like the Ritz or Four Seasons), brings with it certain expectations that should be met. I was suprised by the charge for wifi in the rooms. If it's free in one of the restaurant areas, in this day and age, it should be included. Also, for the beach chairs, I understand there is a third party contractor who runs the chair service along the beach, but if Loews is able to work with the company to have its menus placed on all of the chairs, it should be able to work something out so that guests at the "beach resort" don't have to pay $10 dollars per chair at the beach.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank desiblogger
Alex T, General Manager at Loews Miami Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Dear desiblogger,

I regret to learn that your experience was marred by a few issues. However, I was pleased to learn that our team members devliered professional and friendly service throughout your stay. Thank you for your honest and fair feedback. We certainly appreicate you choosing to stay with us and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (889)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

We had seen Loews on a recent vacation at another hotel, and said next time its Loews or nothing. The staff was the best. Another review had said that the staff knew their trip was booked through a cheaper website and they were not treated that well. Not so! We were treated like were paying for the best of everything. Although the pool was packed and drinks were expensive, we will go again.

Room Tip: We had a room on the Collins Ave side, not the beach side. Still an impressive room and our view wa...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear 374Marie,

Thank you for giving our hotel a try! Service is our number one priority, and I'm delighted to see that we delivered! We truly appreciate your comments and hope to see you again soon.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed there for the boat show weekend, as a birthday gift for my husband and I have to say that is the best service and location in the heart of south beach. I've stayed in plenty hotels in Sobe (that's how locals call south beach) and here is the only place that made me feel like royalty in my own beach house. We have to thank Angeles at the lobby bar. Pedrot at Preston's and Danilo on the beach and the pool restaurant, he treated us like a king with his queen on the beach, his service by the poolside restaurant convinced me to bring my group from work for a trip that we are planning for the Miami Art Basel. Thank you Loews.
Tip: ocean view room are worth it!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mellani D,

We are humbled by your outstanding feedback. Thank you for taking the time to recognize Angeles, Pedro, and Danilo. Our team members are the heart of our hotel and they are the best in the business. We'll certainly be sure to share your comments and recognize them for their efforts. We look forward to your future stays. Thank you again.
Calgary, Alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

After dredging through the countless options and reviews for suitable accommodation on South Beach, we opted for Loews given the location and caliber of service that comes with the brand.

Overall, we were thoroughly impressed with our two night stay on the property, and I had to look rather hard to find any disappointments during our visit. I will touch on these briefly below.

The property likely has, by far, the best location on SoBe. It is located kitty corner to the Lincoln Road pedestrianized shopping and dining district, literally across the street. This Loews property also boasts a sprawling resort type atmosphere with a family friendly pool area, well manicured landscaping and several nice eateries on site including a whimsical, family friendly ice cream and candy store. The overall ambience of the property is very professional from the appearance of staff members (all were neatly groomed with pressed uniforms) to the cleanliness of rooms and common areas which almost always exceeded my (OCD) expectations.

The decor, lighting and furniture in the lobby areas including some very contemporary couches, a huge saltwater aquarium, and the availability of fresh, chilled, flavored water were nice touches as well.

I would recommend this property, and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again in the future. There were a couple of small annoyances worthy of consideration:

Parking anywhere in SoBe is expensive. Valet parking prices at Loews are atmospheric. I would recommend the parking garage across the street (on 16th between Collins and Washington Avenues) for prices that are 40% cheaper than parking on site.

The rooms have minimal sound proofing, particularly in the main tower where we stayed. The tower is a hub-bub of activity and the noises from hallways and nearby rooms (where one couple was truly enjoying their stay) can be a little disconcerting.

A 20% gratuity is included in all checks for dining facilities on-site. Keep this in mind when tipping. in one instance, I noticed that I had over tipped the server at Preston's: She laughed when I told her that I had failed to realize that the gratuity was automatically included. Of course, this was my own negligence and I accept responsibility for not reading the check completely, however her cavalier attitude prompted for me to ask for a portion of my tip back!

In all, as I say, a clean, family friendly resort-like property that I would not hesitate to recommend, or stay at in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the adjoining St. Moritz tower which maybe a little more quieter than the bustling...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear vtextc,

Thank you for taking the time to write detailed comments about your stay. We appreciate your valuable feedback. I regret to learn that your experience was less than perfect and we did not consistently provide exceptional service. Rest assured that we continue to strive to improve and be more reliable and consistent with our service delivery to prevent future guest feedback. Thank you for the kind words as well. I was glad to hear that you wouldn't hesistate staying here on future visits. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Milan, Lombardia, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

Really good hotel if you are trying to find a hotel in South Beach. Good location and good service. Many restaurants and shops next to it but they don't offer breakfast. Close to a Segway station where you can have as much fun as you want.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dear Oscar-Llach,

Thank you for your comments. We are excited to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and all we offer. We hope to see you again soon!
Lititz, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

Second year for our visit to the Loew's Miami Beach. From the minute you step out of the cab, you are treating by pleasant, friendly staff. We had a small problem with a bathroom fixture upon arrival - one call, out for a walk on the beach and back - problem FIXED. Wonderful service! We stay in one of the ocean front rooms - well worth the extra $$ for the beautiful view and private balcony. Already looking forward to our February 2014 trip!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sean C, Hotel Manager at Loews Miami Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear ZsLuv2travel,

We appreciate you reviewing the Loews Miami Beach Hotel. It is feedback like yours that helps us to grow and reach new levels of quality service, which is standard here at Loews. We are pleased to hear that the service you received was quick, efficient and did not interrupt your trip in any way. You mentioned that you typically request the ocean front rooms when staying with us, and we have to say you've made an excellent choice. The sunrise in the morning, paired with the warm South Beach air, is so flawless and makes for a great backdrop for having breakfast on the balcony!

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you next time.
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

lovely hotel right on Collins Avenue in downtown South Beach and on the beach. lovely rooms with great views of the ocean. All restaurants were delicious. Service was excellant, from front desk to room service. We were spoiled with multiple extras. Easy access to all restaurants, bars, Lincoln Avenue and museums. Great bar by pool and in hotel as well. Excellent mojitos.

Room Tip: be certain to ask for ocean view. South side is sunnier in am; north side sunnier in pm. Balconies...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear cookielover54,

Thank you for taking the time to share your generous feedback from your recent visit. We are truly delighted that we exceeded your expectations with our outstanding location, high levels of service, and multiple amenites throughout the hotel. Yes, we agree...our bartenders make the best mojitos in South Beach. We look forward to welcoming you back one day soon.