“Not so good for first timers to peruvian food”

Chalan on the Beach
Ranked #53 of 1,107 Restaurants in Miami Beach
Cuisines: Latin, Seafood, Peruvian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We paid $40 for 2 dishes of food here. One was beef tips with rice. The 'beef tips' are not beef at all. They are fat chunks. It was quite disturbing but my boyfriend choked it down anyways since we were spending so much on this meal. I ate the seafood plate we ordered and it was interesting. It had chewy squid, octopus tentacles, and a few shrimp in it. The sauce was an ok flavor. Our favorite part of this meal was the free bread and green HOT mint sauce they served when we sat down. This place gets really noisy as there was a huge group that came in and we couldn't even talk over them. The waitress took forever to get us our check as well. It was not worth the $ we paid unfortunately and we wont ever go back.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

This is a low-key restaurant with great and authentic Peruvian cuisine. I emphasize "authentic" because there are many fake-Peruvian restaurant announced not only in Miami but in the US and Europe. Since Peruvian cuisine is becoming more and more famous, many restaurants adopt the "Peruvian" to catch customers. Their cebiche and rice with seafood (arroz con mariscos) is to die for. Their cebiche is the real thing, not like many other restaurants we have been in with a dish called "cebiche" which is light-years away from the Peruvian cebiche (Yuca in Lincoln Rd does NOT serve Peruvian cebiche, just to give an example). Prices are extremely reasonable. We dined here 3 times in our 5-day stay. And we would come back every week if we'd live in the area.
Their staff is fast, efficient and friendly.
The place is low-key (nothing fancy) but clean which is what matters to us.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Went for lunch on one day in Miami Beach. Clean, simplistically decorated restaurant with quick helpful service. I had the tacu tacu con lomo saltado which had very tender beef and a great crisp on rice. For those unaware (as I was), it's very interesting to see the Asian influences on the cuisine.

Like I mentioned in the title, the portions were huge and the prices quite reasonable for Miami+beaches. Definite recommendation.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The server recommendations were spot on and it was not a heavy meal. It was good food, brought out fast and served with a smile. I will be back when in South Beach.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

I took a client from China to Chalan. We both enjoyed the high energy, the noise and the new, to both of us, menu items and drinks from Peru. Go for the Mach Fish. We had wonderful service.