WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“Big bang for the buck” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Normandy Plaza Hotel

Normandy Plaza Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Miami Beach
Normandy Plaza Hotel
Ranked #190 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Detroit, Michigan
“Big bang for the buck”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

Stayed at this hotel back in feb. Room was clean a little worn and the stove didnt work but location was great and the staff was cool. Plus there was parking and yoh could walk to the store or the beach.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank daveh2403

Business
Jacksonville, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

We unwisely went to Miami during Spring Break without making hotel reservations in advance. Every hotel was booked out, EVERY ONE. We drove around all day with no luck. As it got dark, we decided to check out the Normandy. Big Mistake.

Yes, the guy at the front desk was friendly, and the hotel has an excellent location, but those are about the only positives of this "hotel' (maybe we should call it a hostel). Anyway, my family and I were tired, and the Normandy had available rooms, so we booked our stay there for a week. FAIL!

First, when we got on the elevator, the guy who worked at the front desk pressed the elevator buttons with a stick, exclaiming, "I do not touch these things." Let's also keep in mind that the elevator was sooooooooo old. Like, with the zig zag wooden looking doors; maybe it was the first elevator in the world. Next, we reached to the room. We couldnt get the TV to work and called the front desk. Mr. "I do not touch these things" came with his stick to press buttons on the TV. When he finally got the TV to work, I think it may have been unplugged, the channel was showing a man and a woman engaging in oral sex. Yikes! The channel was quickly changed. As if that wasnt enough, when we turned on the AC, it was as loud as a humvee. Our unit must have been running the air for the entire hotel because it was ridiculously loud. Tired from our long day of searching for hotels, we decided to go to bed. Someone please tell me why my sheets had holes in them and blood stains?!!!!!!! The next morning when we went to take a shower, the shower floor was DISGUSTING. I tell you no lie, we had to go to the dollar store to buy slippers in order to get into the shower. To top it all off, there were a bunch of shady characters in the lobby and throughout the hotel.

DONT EVER STAY HERE. This hotel needs to be shut down; it is NASTY and unkept.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
5 Thank Alexia W

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2012

I stayed in this hotel and it was very, very strange. I originally booked it because it was fairly inexpensive and I wasn't going to be in the room much. I should say that I am hetro and had my wife with me.

It turns out this hotel played a big part in the Andrew Cunanan saga, as he lived here after murdering four people up until the day he shot Johnny Versace.

I know he stayed in 116 and a room in the 300s and maybe one other. In a book I read (Vulgar Favors) it documents his time here and how the hotel had some HIV+ hustlers and drug users living there. I can believe that.

Not the best hotel but if you like the macarbe it may be for you.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
4 Thank A O
NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2007

A trully disgusting hotel. My wife and I planed on staying for a week but after the first day there we could not take it.
When we got there, the first impression was fine. A clean loby and the guy at the desk was nice. But we were shocked when we got to the room. It wasn't just dirty, it was disgusting.
The walls were were only half painted, as if the guy just gave up in the middle of the job. The room had a very old and noisy AC and the smell was just horible. There was no cable television in the room so the only entertainment we had all night was hearing the people next door fighting all night (very thin walls). The Front Desk staff was nice but they have rudest little Housekeeper we've ever met. In the morning she did not service our room and when we complained to her, she just started to scream off the top of her head and grabed 2 towels threw it on top of the bed and walked out. Thank God we don't speak Spanish, it was humiliating enough without understanding what she was saying to us. At that point we could not take it, we made reservations with another Hotel down the street and got out of the Normandy Plaza as quick as we could.

I would not recomend this Hotel to anyone, it needs a bad renovation and new housekeeping staff.

• Liked — The beach is right behind the Hotel
  • Disliked — Housekeeper
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank JoshKeene
Albany, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2007

Staff was pleasant. Bathroom was a bit scary though useable.
shower head is a bit too low. The setting is for a child. Old plumbling and loud ac. Walls are thin,not enough clear channels on t.v.,no remote control and scary housekeeper.Tthe great things were across from the beach. Use the back entrance.Near supermarkets,shops and restaurants. On busline.

• Stayed June 2007
T.O
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2007

I origionally planned to stay at the international inn underbay, But after stopping by I felt it had a rather shady feel to it so I came to the normandy...

well. Its not the ritz BUT. The staff was so friendly and accomodating it almost felt like it when I walked in.

Pro's
-Its got tons of character and its right on collins so the beach is litterally in the back yard.
- there are tons of shops and restaurants in the area.
-If you want to go to south beach you can take a 10 minute bus ride literally steps away for 1.50.
-staff was great, in fact they pushed me to see several rooms and make sure they were up to standard before I payed.

Con's
-the floors are discusting old dirt attracting tiles, so dont take off your shoes
-the general feel of the hotel is not exactly unclean but rather run down.

This hotel is in desperate need of a renovation, but I suspect if it ever got one the price would be astronomical, it has the nostalgic feel of classier days gone by. I would stay here again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Very adverage furniture and accomodation, not fancy.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2006

My Wife and I stayed there for 4 weeks while I was working in Miami,and let me say this,it is a real bare bones hotel .what it lacks in frills it more than makes up for in character! You will experience a vast variety of local eccentrics,hustlers etc. Everything you need is within walking distance and the bar "On the Rocks" will stay with us forever.If you want to sleep get up and go ,give it a try.The staffs only job is to take your money and give you a key but the air was cold and the water was hot and if you travel with someone you love you will always have stories to tell!Cheap thrills!

Stayed July 2004
#12 of 80 in Miami Beach
Carillon Miami Beach
Carillon Miami Beach
#3 of 206 in Miami Beach

Been to Normandy Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!