“Very disappointing”

Miami Beach International Traveler's Hostel
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Chose this place for its location & was looking forward to staying there after reading the reviews. The staff were unhelpful & they also put us in an apartment block in a completely different location as we had requested a & booked a private room, this meant we were far from where we were expecting to be, so felt totally let down by this place. If I go back to Miami i will stay somewhere else. Ive stayed in plenty of hostels & this is my worst experience.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Finnish first
Exeter
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I booked a private double room some months before travelling and based my choice upon the reviews, but most importantly upon the excellent location of this hostel. However upon arrival the sullen girl on reception informed me that I would be staying in a condo over a mile inland from the beach as they did not have any double rooms in the hostel. I expressed my dissatisfaction with this and she claimed that this arrangement was clear on the website. I have since checked this and there is nothing on either their website or any of the other booking websites. Resigned to the fact that I would not be anywhere near the beach and nightlife I took the key to the condo and arrived to the most depressing block which seemed like it had been transplanted from the Soviet block! The room was sparse and stunk to high heaven with bleach. The bathroom tap would not turn off and the bed was strangly similar to a hospital bed with only a couple of sheets. I was certainly glad to leave the following morning! I have stayed at wonderful hostels throughout the world and this accommodation was by far the worst. I would give the staff attitude 1/10 as there was no real apology or any attempt to rectify the situation. You may be luckier if you book a bed in one of the dorms but if you are after a private room be aware that they are no where near the south beach area. Incidentally the 'free' breakfast was served until 8am..... I wonder how many people are up and about before 8 after a night out in Miami beach...really?! Come on guys get real!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I stayed at the Miami Beach International Hostel during a short trip to the city after spending most of my time in Key West. The staff were friendly, and the lobby had wifi. The other guests were also friendly and I appreciated that it was a party hostel so would be a little noisy at night. The rooms looked ok though the showers didn't have hot water (again not the end of the world in Miami during summer). However, at night I saw MANY cockroaches running around the dorm room floor, on my stuff(!), and on the walls by the beds. It was absolutely disgusting and I was glad I'd been left with the top bunk in the room, though even then felt like I was in hell. I managed to get maybe an hour sleep after sitting awake debating checking out at 4am. The next morning, I also had bed bug bites on my legs. I checked out immediately after a not very good free breakfast. When staying at a hostel, I appreciate you're not exactly paying for luxury, and so can deal with cold showers, noise, even the occasional bed bug I can put up with. However, cockroaches are something you can keep at bay if you care enough, and though the hostel staff did clean common areas during the day, they didn't do so in the actual rooms. I've stayed in many hostels, even in less developed countries in Asia, and never had roach infestations in the bedrooms. Unless you're staying up all night partying and too drunk to care arriving back in your room in the early hours, I would not recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I stayed here in December in 3 different rooms: 6 bed mixed dorm, double bed private, and one of the apartments at another building they own

Pros:
-If you are looking to meet people and a lively hostel that organizes events and parties that you can join, this is the place to go. Every person I met at the hostel was very nice and open to meeting new people
-The staff are very friendly and willing to accomodate. I took the bus described on their website (by the way, if you decide to take the bus from the airport, be sure to call and ask beforehand because there is a MUCH faster bus route you can take) and it ended up taking so long I got off and took a taxi. The staff member at the desk gave me 2 free beers to make up for that
-Very close to the beach, shopping area, and restaurants
-If they run out of spots at the hostel, they send you to an apartment in a building, about 10 mins walking distance. The one we stayed at was nice (other reviewers say their bathroom was broken and the place was dirty, but ours was in working order) b/c they're literally apartments--the one my boyfriend and I got sent to had 3 beds and a couch, a kitchen, and a bathroom, which unecessary for 2 people, but I can see it getting very crowded if you have 6 people squeezed in there

Cons:
-If you are looking to get a decent night's sleep, this is not the place to go because it is incredibly loud all night long. The private rooms are farther back and are therefore more quiet, and they have flat screen TVs. The dorms are literally right by the lobby.
-There is a 5% charge if you use visa or mastercard, so if you don't want to pay that charge and are staying for a number of days, you will need to withdraw a good amount of cash

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank worldtraveller476
Niagara on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Awesome location, great staff and extremely well organised parties every night!!

Great for the price and one of the best hostels I have stayed in!!

Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank richm13
Reviewed July 5, 2012

This is a very active hostel with good vibe at main hostel, but when I checked in, they did not take credit cards, had to go to ATM for Cash, including a $50 deposit for key and towels. Then sent me 7 blocks away from the hostel to some apartment building with nasty rooms. When you book, it looks like your staying at the main hostel, but you are a world away...no internet, no services, no interaction or vibe and a long walk back to the hostel, beach and fellow travelers.

Big negative for me personally is there is no airflow, fans or hvac in main lobby and lower rec kitchen area, so when you are there, you are constantly sweating...If make the walk back in time for meals and you like bagels and pasta, the breakfast, lunch and dinner will work for you, but I like meat with my meals so it was not a big plus for me.

Room Tip: Go to the Miami Hostel on Alton, great covered common area, computers, modern common kitchen, clean...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Miami, Florida
Reviewed June 19, 2012

the rates are great. the free breakfast, lunch and dinner is a huge money saver, as well as there nights out. we got to go see hardwell the dj in mansion (one of the biggest clubs in the mansion) for 20 dollars even though it said 40 dollars on the ticket. the staff are great very helpful and friendly, the rooms are cleaned twice a day and everyone who's staying here was really friendly while i was there.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends