“Would never go back”

Tropics Hotel & Hostel
Reviewed December 31, 2012

My husband and I are avid travelers and have stayed in many hostels throughout the world in some very poor countries, yet this place was the worst dump ever. Yes the location is amazing as everyone says, close to the beach etc. but that shouldn't discount for the fact that the rooms and the entire hotel smells of mould. The carpet is so disgusting, I refused to walk bare feet on it.There was one staff member in particular who was extremely rude to my husband and I and had absolutely no service etiquette. I had booked 2 beds in a 4 bed mixed dorm only to be told that we couldn't spend the first night together because there were no two beds available in one room. Their explanation was that when you book these, you're booking a bed not a room? This doesn't make sense at all because of course if you're a group of 3 friends you'd want to stay in the SAME room, as I wanted to be in the same room as my husband. I didn't want to argue with the rude staff member because things could have gotten ugly. Even when I told him that two ladies had left my dorm room and asked if my husband could join me, he said he'd have to 'see.' We kindly asked him to leave a note for the next staff member about our situation but lo and behold the next day the guy at the front desk knew nothing about what we were talking about. Thank goodness this guy was friendly and helped us out. All in all the experience at this place sucks. No vibe or atmosphere. Just a place to rest your head and try not to breathe in the must moldy smell.

• Stayed: December 2012
4  Thank Carms0808

Reviewed December 8, 2012

I only used the hostel part, a room for girls only.
I was with 3 other girls on the main floor.
The room had two bunk beds, a private bathroom and toilet.
The room was cleaned and the bed very comfy.

Nice pool area, nice outdoor kitchen.
Free wireless.

Excellent location : right on Lincoln and 15th.
One block from the beach.
2 minutes away from a Walgreens and Ocean Drive.

The best neighborhood, not noisy and very very central.

Super staff.

200m away from the bus station where you can go to the airport for $2.5.

I highly recommend it, I really enjoyed my stay there and will definately go back.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Right on Collins Avenue, Art Deco style. Not a new building but reasonably well maintained - everything appeared to work okay. Reception staff very laid back, friendly and well informed.
It has free wifi and a nice furnished pool area, with a largish patio and a communal kitchen. There were 2 sets of 4 burners for cooking and a microwave. They supply large brown bags to put your food in, you have to write on your name and room number then stash them in one of the 3 very large fridges. They have a security camera on the fridges and it seems to work well although I must say we had a new 4 pint container of milk vanish the first night!

Our room was basic but clean enough, with comfortable beds. We were facing the pool so it could be a bit noisy at night but the access through was locked at 12.00 pm and as it was just talking, rather than music, it was not too bad really. They only supply small bars of soap in the bathroom so toiletries are needed and there wasn't a bath mat or hand towels but as it is only rated as 2 stars it was good value. The rooms were air conditioned but could not be individually adjusted.

Our room was a regular hotel type room but they also have 4 and 8 bed dorms - useful if you are in a group and on a budget, but they seemed to have communal bathrooms.

Most guests seemed to be quite young, but we pensioners did not feel out of place.

The location was excellent, five minutes away from South Beach, 3 minutes to Lincoln shopping centre and lots of restaurants and bars - no car needed! There is also a good local bus service which is quite inexpensive for getting around into downtown Miami etc.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing pool may be quieter at night
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Annechad
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Location really good, close to the beach.
On the opposite of other comments, we didn't felt comfortable with the lock of our room, there was a big gap. And we were apparently close to the big climate motor, it's for the whole hotel so we had no control/access to it, you cannot stop the cold and the room was VERY noisy all day and night long.
Couldn't sleep at all the first night, hopefully we could sleep on the beach ;) Finally got some ZZzzz the second night because we were exhausted. We just do not recommend this hotel.
Service horrible : no shampoo in the bathroom, and the second they removed the bath carpet ! We asked for a plastic glass/cup to take some medicines, they couldn't do anything for us...

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Basically this is a slightly tatty budget hotel with some few dorm rooms. Locationwise you can't fault this place, you're a 5 minute walk to the beach. The dorm rooms are basic but clean. The kitchen is adequate although they desperately need more untensils.. eating cereal with a fork is hard work.

There was no problem with security and people in my room left ipads and mobiles lying about without issue. Having said that some lockers would be another good addition to rooms as there were none.

Overall it was OK, although lacking in atmosphere

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank kellypaddy
Reviewed November 2, 2012

The Tropics provides a comfortable, clean and secure room, close to beach, shopping, etc. The pool area is a wonderful perk, especially if it's a bad beach day. I enjoy the variety of travelers who stay at this hotel which has friendly staff. I have stayed here before and will stay again when I visit South Beach. Thanks staff for a pleasant stay.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank StevePa
Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

Echo jc22y on all fronts.
On our last morning we were visited by a rather large & persistent cockroach who came & left via the main hallway on level 2.
Reception didn't seem surprised or concerned & gave a response which seemed well rehearsed.

• Stayed: October 2012