“gross”

Tropics Hotel & Hostel
Reviewed September 15, 2012

pay a few bucks more and avoid this dungeon. i would have given it half a star, or maybe a fraction of that, but tripadvisor doesn't provide that option.
dirty, smelly, ugly, poor service, unfriendly.... the list goes on.

only plus - location is pretty decent.

Room Tip: avoid the smelly noisey one.. oh wait, that's ALL OF THEM.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank puertovallartapotter

Reviewed September 5, 2012

I know the title of this review makes it seem as though this hotel is the worst, but it's not a bad hotel if you're on a tight bugdet. Miami, and especially Miami Beach, is one the most expensive places in the USA so booking a good hotel at a good price is going to be tricky. Considering we only had 2 nights left in the USA by this point we decided to keep it cheap.

The hotel was not easy to find and even our taxi driver didn't know where it was, he had to radio in to his colleague. The reception was fine, we got to the hotel at 11am when we were told check in started only to be turned away because our room wasn't ready. Most hotels have a check in time somewhere in the afternoon and one of the reasons why we chose this hotel is because of the early check in time. However, the response of "check in STARTS at 11am" got them off on technicalities.

The hotel is very dingy and seemed very popular with young adults, partying in South Beach. It didn't look clean, but it looked really old and dated. The room wasn't anything to write home about and the bathroom even worse with a dirty bathtub and shower. The beds were horrible, the pillows were a waste of time and it just seemed like we were being punished. So we headed out.

The location of the hotel, however, is fantastic. It's on one of the main roads in South Beach and is just a 2 minute walk to the beach. Perfect.

On one day we were locked out of our safe. This was at about 1pm when we wanted to go out but our money was in the safe. We went to reception and told them and they said someone will be out to fix it soon. After an hour we asked again. They said the same thing. After a couple of hours we went down AGAIN to ask, the woman behind the desk said she was the only one on and had to wait for the handyman. The time was 7pm before we FINALLY got her to come and fix it. We had been waiting 6 HOURS for someone to open the malfunctioning safe. All of our money was in there so we couldn't get any food. We explained this to the girl several times but she didn't care.

Needless to say, we didn't let this below mediocre hotel destroy our experience of South Beach and Miami but we were glad to be checked out.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Adam R
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Stayed for two nights with my fiancé (26 and 27) while "road tripping" around Florida in February 2012.

This place is cheap, and we were on a budget, so we took a chance having read the reviews on here. It was pretty much as we expected: basic, tired and a little bit creepy (the corridors conjured up images of the little boy on his tricycle in The Shining), but it was perfectly clean, pretty quiet and in a great location.

Our room was big, with a TV and an unexpected (and slightly bizarre) walk in cupboard. I was pleased to see a big mirror above a dresing table, and a socket within hairdryer cable distance of both. Believe it or not, I have stayed at 5* hotels that haven't managed that! Reception staff were friendly.

It was OK for a couple of nights. We hardly spent much time in the room in any case. Those below who arrived and checked out in an instant are either incredibly dramatic, or missed the fact that this place is a "hostel" when booking.

There is a huge car park just around the corner, so it's really convenient if you've rented a car like we did.

If you're on a budget and just looking for a place to rest your head, you'll be fine here (but maybe leave your Stephen King at home!).

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ach85
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Good value.
Lacks the vibe of a hostel.
Lacks the service/ services of a hotel.
Good if looking for a cheap hotel option, but bad if looking to meet others etc.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Brent M
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Helpful, friendly staff; basic, clean, comfortable room; nice pool with a covered patio that includes an outdoor range and community fridges for people who want to cook their own food. It's a very international crowd so I met people from all over. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank emilycatherine
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights and i must say that the best thing here is the location, the swimming pool and the kitchen. The price is also a fair.
The room probably will get crowded because its size.
Recommended if you are looking for a hostel.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Nabilios
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I attended a meeting at the Convention Center from June 9 to 13, 2012. I wanted a hotel near the convention center for June 8 to 13, 2012.

For five days my charge was under $400. The cost was $435 with tax and fees. I could have saved 3% if I had paid cash. I was asked to pay $20 in cash on admission. I was then given a remote control for the television. I returned the remote control on check-out to receive my $20.

This is an art deco structure of 3 stories probably from the early part of the last century. There are 70 rooms. There is a large safe in the room. This is large enough for a laptop computer. Enter a code to close; reenter the code to open.

On entry I found soap and shampoo in the bathroom. The shampoo was not provided again. On a couple of days no soap was supplied.

There was no glass provided. I bought coffee at McDonalds. Then I used the coffee cup for drinking water.

There was a pool on the first floor. I did not use it.

There was a computer in the lobby for Internet and other uses by guests.

I was told by the staff that local calls are cheaper with the pay phones in the lobby than from the hotel phones in the rooms.

There is no door man. I carried my luggage to my room.

The room is a comfortable carpeted space with a comfortable queen bed. There is a television mounted in the wall.

This is fine budget accommodation. Take soap, shampoo, toiletries, and drinking cups with you. You must go out to eat. There is no refrigerator or hot plate for cooking in the room.

There is no restaurant in the hotel. There are several places to eat nearby.

The site is on Collins a block from Loew's Hotel. The convention center is a few blocks away.

The 150 Airport Flyer bus goes from the bus terminal near Terminal E of the Miami International Airport to Lincoln Road and Washington Street, a couple of blocks from the hotel for $2.35. When you leave the hotel, walk to Collins and 17th Street to the bus stop to return to the airport.

June is the rainy season. It rained heavily for four hours on my first day. Some days were sunny. Temperature were in the 90s during the day and in the 80s at night. It was hot and humid all the time.

Clubs and bars are nearby. They are open until 5 am.

Parking is a problem. Take public transportation or taxis.

Room Tip: The third floor Rooms 306 to 314 face a quiet courtyard.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business