Jazz on South Beach Hostel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Room Mate Lord Balfour(Miami Beach)
  • Beachfront
Hotel St. Augustine(Miami Beach)
  • Breakfast included
Sense Beach House(Miami Beach)
  • Pool
Harrison Hotel(Miami Beach)
  • Breakfast included
Villa Italia Hotel(Miami Beach)
  • Breakfast included
Ocean Five Hotel(Miami Beach)
  • Pool
Century Hotel(Miami Beach)
  • Beachfront
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 8, 2011

Good prices and location. It's easy to get to the beach and buses around town. Lunch & dinners were available at the hostel, very nice touch! It was clean and the staff helpful. I have no complaints. I would stay here again maybe next 4th of July too.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Staying at this place wreaked havoc with our lives. We were bitten by bed bugs and ended up inadvertently taking them back to our NYC apartment. We ended up having to give up our apartment and find a new place! We had to pay the landlord for extermination and for vacating before the lease was up.

We lost hundreds of dollars in rugs, furniture, etc that we had to wrap in plastic and throw away. You may not think bed bugs are a big deal, but they are and your family and friends won't like it much when you infest them.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank NYRita2011
Reviewed July 3, 2011

The management or friends of this hostel are responsible for any positive reviews in recent times. They are FALSE. My stay at Jazz on South Beach was the worst of my three months in the U.S.
I will cover the two positives of this hostel first so I can represent fairly.
1). It is close to the very south end of the beach. ( the other hostels are all close to the beach, so not really a positive)
2). The chef Joel. He creates tasty great value food for lunch or dinner for $5 bucks or less for lunch and dinner.

They are the only two positive things. DO NOT STAY HERE.
Stay at South Beach hostel or Miami International. Both are twenty thousand times better.

I tried to book through hostel world where the hostel represents itself as a party hostel. I wasn't looking for a party but looking to stay where my friends were staying. It is NOT a party hostel that is for sure. I could not book online and I chose to call them. After a kind of wierd interaction I was informed I could only book the twelve bed dorm on their web site. I was directed to their website. I booked.
BAD MOVE.

The moment I arrived I knew it was terrible. Stood at the desk for 2 minutes while the reception creature chatted on skype/facebook. I am patient and friendly so I waited. When she felt ready, and in the most hidious tone I received a "can I help you" After this vile representive had booked me in I felt very unsure of my decision in staying. I watched this greeting repeated everytime someone was checked in and every person I spoke to agreed that the staff here were awful and created a terrible vibe and mood in the hostel.

The hostel is filled with passive aggresive signs explaining rules and threating everyone with your one chance or instant removal from the hostel.
On the second day my in dorm the ensuit toilet broke and was filled with an extremely large poo, vomit and urine for 34 hrs. The note from staff was left on the door however for over 48 hrs. (picture included) The replacement restroom was on the first floor. No shower.

The dorm beds themselves were uncomfortable and of the worst cheapest plastic underlay creating loud sticky sheets.

The only social area/patio shuts at 9:30pm and then you can move into the lounge area until 11pm. All under the watchfull eye of the most rude and hateful staff I have ever met.

Expect to be yelled at and bossed around like children. Be told to vacate the hostel at eleven and move one hundred metres from the property or the police will be called and you will be thrown out. Do not break a rule or you will be chewed out by one of the representitives of Jazz on South Beach. The pot bellied assistant manager to the hidiously uphelpful, hatefilled monsters who ran the desk this place is truely hell for any traveller use to the normally hospitable american hostel crews.

Do NOT stay here. I am a reliable honest backpacker and through talking to people found out that jazz on South beach use to be a party hostel until there was trouble with the neighbours and things had to change. The hostel should do the responsible thing and change their adverstising which is clearly false. They need to fire the entire staff and replace them." Eddie" a guy from one of their New York hostels was the only friendly staff member. He left two days into my stay.

Shame on you Jazz on South Beach. Your terrible service, poor accomodation, and inconsiderate disinterested staff coloured my view of Miami. Lucky you have an amazing beach nearby or you would have nothing.
REMEMBER DO NOT STAY HERE!

Room Tip: do not stay here
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank James J
Reviewed June 30, 2011

I stayed here for two days and will never be back. Terribly unfriendly staff. If you try to stand in front of hostel, you are chases away like a criminal. Overall terrible experience. Dirty, unfriendly, impossible to sleep. Save your money and go up the street to the south beach hostel. So much better

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank Akronsean
Reviewed May 19, 2011

This is a very clean hostel. All dorms have an ensuite and rooms are cleaned daily. Pillow, linen, towels and pancake breakfast is all included in the room rate. Add to the brilliant home cooked $4 lunches and $5 dinners and there'd be no reason to leave. Expect with Miami Beach only a block away it's hard not to. The only things I can fault about this hostel is the weak wi-fi. It is un-useable in some rooms. The other thing is it lacks a large common area so I was always standing around. But I'd recommend it and definitely stay again.

• Stayed: May 2011