“Cool, classy, central - try it!”

Clinton Hotel South Beach
Ranked #157 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
London
“Cool, classy, central - try it!”
Reviewed May 31, 2005

I have nothing but good to say about the Clinton. The reception area and overall decor was cool, funky, uncluttered. Sure it was dark in places but that's OK, it's sunny oustide and this was a welcome reprieve. I couldn't agree less with the negative review on here, we found the reception staff to be really helpful. One guy took time to track down a specific luggage shop for us, even though they were busy. Our room was large and clean, with a fantastic double shower and great smellies. The TV screen was huge with loads of channels, and there's a CD player and a really comfy bed. Our room opened onto the reflection pool, which is pretty at night and also means that you face away from the street - we had no worries with loud noise at all. I think the Clinton was a good choice, and we'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

Also the valet parking was good value - cost us $17 for 24 hours which by Miami standards seemed a steal.

Stayed May 2005
4 Thank sammyk
Jimmy M, General Manager at Clinton Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, June 23, 2015
Thank you for your visit and for sharing your feedback.

We are happy to hear that you had a great time and enjoyed your stay. We are thrilled to announce the Clinton Hotel has recently undergone a change of Ownership, and will be striving to provide various enhancements to improve our guest experience.

We hope you will return in the near future to experience all the exciting improvements!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
shelburne, vt
Reviewed May 24, 2005

Upon checking into the Hotel Clinton, we were so disappointed that we decided to cancel the remainder of our stay after one night. Our initial decision to check out was based on three factors:

1. General ambiance:
It’s depressing and practically deserted.

2.Icky lobby décor and pool area:
Matted rug, stains on cushions, dirty cement in pool area, pool tiles browned and flaking off, and oh yeah, the kicker- there was a piece of toilet paper floating in the pool as well.

The web site photos must be several years old.

3.Surly Hotel Staff:
Good luck getting their attention.

NOTE: If the above issues were all that I had experienced, then I wouldn’t have bothered to write into this forum. The main reason I’m writing all this is because MY COAT WAS STOLEN.

Yes, that is #4 on the list:

4. They stole my coat!

When we brought our bags downstairs, I had threaded a cotton jacket of mine through the loops of my duffel bag suitcase. Since they told us it would take 20 minutes to a half hour to retrieve our car, we left our bags at the desk and went outside to run an errand. When we came back, we loaded up our bags and drove off. It was only hours later that evening, when we were unloading the car again, that I noticed the missing coat.

So what did I do? I went back to the hotel in person two days, less than 48 hours later, to retrieve the jacket. I waited in the lobby for over 25 minutes before they took the trouble to tell me that they didn’t have my coat.

Not only did they lose my coat, but they were so rude to me. They decided that I had absolutely no business at all to bother them, because I had waited two days to let them know. And here’s the kicker- they never apologized. Never offered any explanation. Instead, it was my fault that someone apparently saw it fit to snatch the coat from the handles of my duffle bag.

In that respect, it was my fault. I didn't realize their alleged "lost and found" had a deadline, and that they confiscated personal belongings. You may be wondering, did this writer perhaps make a mistake and leave the coat elsewhere? I assure you, I did not. :)

The moral of the story: Check into the Raleigh instead. We stayed there our second night and it was absolute bliss. It’s only $30-$40 more per night than the Clinton, but you upgrade to an entire new stratosphere of hotel quality.

3 Thank meme123
Thank you for sharing your feedback.

We apologize for the challenges that you faced during your stay. However, we are happy to announce that the Clinton Hotel has recently undergone a change of Ownership, and will be striving to provide various enhancements to improve our guest experience.

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Reviewed May 23, 2005

We stayed at the Clinton May 9, 2005, we came on a package which included one night in this hotel. I would recommend this hotel as the rooms were very clean and the staff extemely friendly. We had a smaller room on the Washington Avenue side so yes, there is noise which I expected being in Southbeach. We found the room to be very comfortable and Raul that worked at the front desk offered to make any arrangements we might have needed for the evening. If going to Southbeach and are looking for quite I´d suggest somewhere that is on the beach, The Loew´s, The Royal Palm, etc. as most of the hotels on Washington and Collins have alleys behind them and you will hear the garbage men in the morning. We are used to it now as we´ve been 3 times in a year. You can always head down to Walgreen´s for some earplugs!!!

1 Thank Horizon601

California, USA
Reviewed May 15, 2005

I have to say that I loved the feel of this hotel. It was cool and kitchsy. The decor was minimalist and appealing. The room was clean and the beds were very comfortable. The closet had ample space and the bathroom was clean and large. I wish I got the name of the gentleman working the front desk/concierge desk. He was so helpful and went out of his way to suggest activities, help with reservations, and give detailed driving directions to everywhere we were interested in seeing. He even called me back after I requested a bellhop to get our bags before we checked out just to see if I wanted him to get the valets to get our car so we wouldn't have to wait too long for it. He was awesome and pretty rare in Florida in that most of the people we came in contact with were extremely rude and pretty aggressive in giving you the idea that you were not welcome in their town. We're pretty friendly and this widespread attitude took us aback. He stated that this was not unusual for this state cuz they don't care for strangers much...unfortunately they are working in a tourist town.

The gym in the hotel with the "state of the art fitness equipment" was all broken and located in this tiny little closet on the 4th floor. No air conditioning and pretty humid and hot. None of the cardio equipment was working and the universal machine was pretty much bordering being non functional as well. If this aspect matters to you.

The biggest problem we had was the noise at night. Apparently there is a bar a few shops down who plays their music very loudly until very late at night. The first night, the bass was so loud that it literally vibrated inside your head like the boom of fireworks. It went on until 3 or 4 in the morning. We really had problems falling asleep. We did bring it to their attention and they are aware of the problem and have attempted to deal with the owners of the establishment. I guess it hasn't quite been reconciled at this juncture.

All in all, if it weren't for the noise, I would give this hotel a very high rating. It is located in a great part of South Beach and you can walk to all the shops and restaurants in a matter of minutes. If they could only take care of that bar noise...

Cheshire UK
Reviewed May 10, 2005

My husband and I stayed 3 nights at the Clinton during a tour of Florida. We booked this hotel because of the good reports written here on trip advisor and we were not dissapointed. It is a lovely hotel, the room (superior queen) was extremely clean, well equipped and spacious. The staff were very helpful and we would recommend it to our friends and family. If I had to find any faults with this hotel it would only be to say that the corridor was quite dark and the fountain outside our balcony quite noisy, but these are only very small points and we would definately go there again if visiting the area.

3 Thank AW-PW

Bermuda
Reviewed April 24, 2005

I just returned from a weekend stay in Miami. We booked this hotel through Priceline. Priceline considered this a 4-star hotel and the rate we got was $199/night. We were very disappointed.

I have traveled extensively and do not consider this a 4-star hotel. We requested a room with 2 double beds or 1 bed and a cot. We were given a tiny room with one queen bed and an air mattress on the floor. The platform mattress was extremely uncomfortable - no spring. The room's A/C was too loud to leave running at night and so there was no air circulation. We had a lovely view of an alley and a trash dumpster. Trash was picked up (loudly) at 7 am. Overall, the room and furniture seemed dingy. The shower is huge but was not very clean. There were no towel racks in the small bathroom. The bathroom had a glass wall with a curtain for privacy. At night, turning on the light in the bathroom illuminated the entire room.

The pool is very small - although we expected that. The hallways are very dark (although this is the intended effect) and the elevator very slow and used by guests and staff (carting stuff) alike.

We ended up checking out after 1 night and moving to the Hyatt in Coral Gables. I would consider the Hyatt a 4-star hotel. Very clean and spacious room. Lovely public areas.

3 Thank BermudaTraveler1

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 18, 2005

My wife and I stayed at the Clinton for two nights during a whistle stop tour of Florida. The Clinton is a fine hotel to crash in after spending a hectic day or night out in South beach. The atmosphere is dark modern chic which is just want we want after a day out in the sun. We had a room near the reflection pool and in the morning the sun streams into this creating the perfect atmosphere to get you up and going. Yes it can be (very rarely)noisy but this is a hotel in a big city and people are there to have fun. The rooms are not huge but are more than adequate for the time you should be in them and are well equipped. The location is great two blocks from the beach and the section of Ocean drive closest to the hotel seems the liveliest for evening dining. Also close to the hotel is the 24hr news cafe, great for breakfast. The beach is great and there is a lot to do ( Duck tours are the way forward, Quack, Quack, Quack). Finally I have read comments regarding the homeless and beggars in SOBE being a problem. Get over it, this is a big city and they are no more numerous or worse than in any other place and can be easily avoided if you have your eyes open.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member