“Persons make a difference”

Clinton Hotel South Beach
Ranked #161 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Philadelphia PA
“Persons make a difference”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

Typical Miami Basel art fair week, hotels prices were higher than usual. So, I was , say, feeling it.
Until I met manager Joel. I was standing outside desperate for a taxi (Perez Museum opening) and he approached and stayed there helping me find the taxi. We waited, nothing, nada, no taxi. So he called one of the persons of his staff: you are going home in five min, right? Would you please take the lady were she is going?
So there I went, unfortunately I don't recall the nice gentleman's name (Andre?) who drove me in his own car wanting no money in compensation!... I will always remember this act of genuine aim to help and solve. Joel and him made the difference.

On the other hand, apart from usual busy Miami way of lobby use, room and bathroom were impeccable. I did not use the spa and down part was breakfast that was ungraciously served all in one disposable plate. But this is anecdotal and can be changed. Joel and his staff: priceless!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Shana M, Manager at Clinton Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
CeciliaReise,

Thank you for your review. It is a treat to know that you enjoyed your stay complimented by our amazing hospitality! Joel is a star associate on our property and it is a pleasure to have him on our team! We look forward to your return visit. Take Care!

Shana M.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

I'm not the pickiest person when it comes to hotels and usually, when going away for a trip to a hot place all I care about is great weather, a nice beach, and a decent room. This place was just a little disappointing. The deal I got for the flight and hotel was decent. It wasn't a steal or anything so I expected a little bit more. The upside was that the staff were very nice and friendly.

The disappointing thing was the hotel itself. First, the elevator was super tiny and slow. The hallways smelled like smoke, and there was some sort of strange smell in our washroom that I could not stand. Honestly, if it was not for that weird smell, I would be content. The only reason I didn't tell the front desk was because I barely stayed in the hotel room since I was out all day anyway.

I am definitely going back to South Beach again and will be sure to choose a higher rated hotel when I go back

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RenaCayari
Shana M, Manager at Clinton Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Dear RenaCayari,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are happy that our staff was very friendly and accommodating to you during your stay! Our values are focused around guest satisfaction and we go above and beyond to please the guest. We have recently renovated all of our bathrooms on property. We invite you to visit our property again during your next South Beach visit.

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

This hotel was awesome, to say the least. The service was very good. I believe this hotel was a family run business, and i liked that aspect of it. Great staff and amenities. Unlike some other hotels in the area this hotel has service that makes you feel comfortable and overall, I enjoyed it.

• Stayed August 2013
Jimmy M, General Manager at Clinton Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, June 20, 2015
Thank you for your recent visit and for sharing your feedback.

We are happy to hear that you had a great time and enjoyed your stay. We are thrilled to announce the Clinton Hotel has recently undergone a change of Ownership, and will be striving to provide various enhancements to improve our guest experience.

We hope you will return in the near future to experience all the exciting improvements!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

After traveling to Miami and South Beach for years and having been mostly disappointed in the hotels I've stayed in, I was thrilled to find the Clinton Hotel & Spa. It's perfectly located on Washington Ave, near great stores, restaurants, bars, and the beach; the prices are incredible; it's quiet (which is one of my biggest complaints about other hotels); the staff are great (everyone from the concierges Joel and Delphi to Bernard and Michelle at the front desk); and it's simply a very cool and elegant place. Miami is the best East coast getaway, especially when it's cold up North, and this is the best hotel to stay in if you plan to visit South Beach,

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Andrew C

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

Hmm... My question to all of the negative reviewers; Did we all stay at the same hotel property? I mean... I'm always flummoxed by those individuals who expect/demand (from a 2-3 advertised star hotel) Ritz Carlton service and amenities while paying Day's Inn prices (no disrespect towards Day's Inn.) So, let me recount my experiences with the Hotel Clinton:

First, let's do the math. My nightly rate; plus ALL taxes; ALL beach fees; and gratuities given/left to the Shuttle driver and Housekeeping staff, totaled and then divided by 5 equaled $150/night. I stayed at the hotel for 5 nights and six days.

Okay! So, what did I get? Well, the free Shuttle service (although I had some problems--explanation later) is GREAT and much, much, better than paying about $31 for a private taxi or $21 for a shuttle bus service! This was one of the primary reasons why I chose the hotel. Upon arrival I took note of the hotel's valet parking service and a door person who opened the main door for arriving/departing guests. Then there was the Concierge! All of this from a 2-3 star rated hotel? Okay... There was an issue with my reservation (which I think I now know the reason--more later) and the Clerk could not locate it. I informed her that my Travel Agent (who had called to confirm 2-3 days prior to my arrival) had encountered the same problem too however the reservation was eventually found. The Clerk accessed an alternative system and was able to locate the reservation. That was a bit disturbing but since it had been resolved I was more interested in "why" such a thing could happen. The Clerk informed me that for some reason "the Company" had canceled my reservation but since she was able to to find it there would be no problem. Now, a guest prior to me had done "something" on FaceBook which earned her an upgrade. I hadn't done no such thing but requested an upgrade too (I was booked for a Queen/Standard) and promised to write a review (voila!) and consequently received a Queen/Superior.

The accommodations were far beyond my expectations. Let's say I could have comfortably hosted a small cocktail party of 6-8 people with waitstaff without having anyone sitting on the bed or feeling overcrowded. I LOVED the little patio and fountain outside of my room (#152.) Walk-in closet? Bathrobe? Stainless steel ice bucket? ...and an Intimacy kit? (which came in handy) I mean... I have seen sewing kits, Bibles, etc. BUT an Intimacy kit? Plus! Plus! Plus!!! Whoever had THAT idea... KISSES!

Whatever commenter noted the shower and water on the floor was spot on. This is the shower door design or installation and is something that management REALLY should look into in my opinion. Water on that floor tile means slippage and the individual will take a hard fall. In the interim I would suggest a large towel (not just the small bath mat towel provided) be placed on the floor. The bathroom is huge! (2 of my small NYC's bathrooms could fit into it) and the product provided is of high quality.

My only complaints regarding the room (#152) were that there was no storage place for clothing and that there was only one small garbage pail (located in the bathroom) for the whole studio.. err, room. A nice sized fridge, quality linens, comfortable bed, ...a comfortable and enjoyable stay all for $150/night!

Oh! The included breakfast consisted of 2 eggs to your liking; potatoes; fruit; and juice or coffee. It might not be what one wants daily but it's included in the your rate price. The one hour free happy hour may not be top shelf but c'mon... Also, yes the pool is a wading pool (as most are in Miami beach) but why have a full scale pool when you're two blocks away from the ocean?

So! Why so cheap? Especially since you have Rufskin opening right next door; Diesel on the corner; Armani right around the corner; and Equinox (my gym) just a stone's throw away? Well... the hotel is clearly upgrading. It won't be a 2-3 star rated hotel much longer. Aside from the brand names I mentioned there are many other Beverly Hills brand names just steps away from the hotel. And that's why I believe my reservation was canceled. Although management is honoring previous reservations I believe they are scrubbing the past pricing and instituting a much higher rates rate. The property deserves it. So, (I know this is a lot but I want to be complete) in conclusion;

-If you have never been to Miami International Airport make sure you understand what "G26" means. That is where the shuttle picks you up.

-Place a large towel on the bathroom floor whenever you shower.

-The staff is very good but if management is shooting for what I think they are, train, train, train, the staff to be excellent! The really fit Black guy is a definite keeper!

-Make use of the Intimacy kit!!!

My stay: Dec. 11-16/13

Room Tip: I stayed in room number 152
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ObjectiveCritic

Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

I had never been to South Beach before, so I had no idea where to stay. This ended up being the PERFECT location and best deal. The hotel staff were friendly, the place was clean, we got complimentary breakfast and free drinks in the evening. I would recommend this place to everyone. It was perfectly located to the Art Deco historical area, restuarants, and beaches, all within a short walk!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

Went for Art Basel and had a ball .... Great spot to unwind after being turnt up. Complimentary breakfast was on time and the free drinks started the evenings well. My room was really cool looking and was provided all i needed ... The staff was helpful and friendly and my room was clean and cozy... I'd definitely dividends this hotel to friends and fellow travelers alike had a great time

• Stayed December 2013
Shana M, Manager at Clinton Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear dee1962lb3,

Thank you for your review. We aim to provide the best accommodations for all of our guest. Our staff is the best when it comes to hospitality and service. We look forward to your return visit.