“Interesting”

Ranked #156 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Orlando, Florida
“Interesting”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I booked a room for this hotel about two months ago for my girlfriend and I's anniversary. Getting to the hotel we found out that all the rooms were booked and that our reservation was lost. I was greatly disappointed. The front desk staff was so great to us though. Ivis went above and beyond to insure us a room for our weekend stay. Delphi took all of our luggage to the room and even left a bottle of champagne on his behalf and Ivis's. Both were super nice and even checked in on us to make sure everything was going ok. Valet was a little slow on getting our vehicle but thankfully they didnt loose our keys. Ivis and Delphi made our trip special and i appreciate them and everything that they did for us

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Shana M, Manager at Clinton Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Venessa P.,

We appreciate your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am very pleased to hear that our staff went above and beyond to exceed your expectations. Delphi and Ivis are gems on our property! We look forward to your return visit.

Thanks,

Shana M.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed August 19, 2013

My Husband and our Friends travelled to South Beach for my Husband and I 2nd year anniversary. We stayed August 9-13.

During our arrival we walked up to the front desk to check in. The Clerk that was sitting behind the front desk , asked "what did we need " with a very frustrated voice!, If this hotel truly wanted to represent themselves as having great customer service, she should have stated, " Good Afternoon, How may I help you today", but NOOO, that was not the case. We Booked our rooms over the phone, and even thou it was asked they reply back to us was that there was NO, Deposit fee, and No Reservation Fee. So our total that was given to us including tax was $690.00 per room. Well there was a total different price when we checked in, The price was raised to $753.00 + $200.00 deposit = $953.00. So While we all are shocked by how the total was way off, we politely asked the Clerk what the extra $$ was for, she stated " that there is like a $30 or $50 resort fee, and then a deposit " and we then stated to her is she for sure, because she said Like, She was not sure either. She then stated to us that “when we booked the room on line that it clearly states that there was a Resort Fee, and a Deposit, and we clearly did not read it well. Once again , we politely advised her that we booked the room over the phone. We then asked her if she could please print us out a receipt that states how much our room is and if it will have a fee break down so we can see were all the funds are going towards. , The Clerk looked at us and said NO!, you get that when you check out. So while we are all getting our funds together to pay for the room, she asked us " Did we have enough $$$ to pay for our room? " All four of our faces was just blank, because We all was trying to figure out if she really just asked us did we not have enough money for our room. So then our friend stated to the clerk that if she is have a bad day , she does not need to take it out on us, The clerk then responded to our friend and stated " you can have a seat sir because I am not dealing with you ". So then we all paid the clerk for both rooms and my husband politely asked the clerk if the total of the rooms included our AAA discount, the clerk then stated " No, and that if we had AAA, we should have told her that when she was checking our reservation and that it is too late to apply the AAA discount ". This is when all four of us got upset, when asked to speak to her manager. The manager ( Bernard ) came out and we explained to him that we have AAA and booked our room using it and wanted to make sure the AAA was applied, the Manager then Simply looked at our print out that The clerk provided to us and it showed the AAA was applied, so the Clerk Simply had to do the same but she was too busy being snobby with us the Customer. So while the Manager was standing there, we asked the Clerk for her Name, she replied " You dont need to know my name, and I am not giving you my name ", The manager did advise her not to speak to us that way, but clearly he seen what we had to deal with.

The Concierge ( Franklin ) , offered to deliver our bags to our room , and stated that we should not have been treated that way. Later on that same day when coming back to our room before after eating dinner, Franklin advised us that he and Bernard the manager has left a gift for us in our room. They did provide us both with Champaign and a $50.00 certificate to the restaurant attached to the hotel. WE all appreciated that fact that basically someone said sorry for what we had to deal with. While My husband open the Champaign, I reached for a Champaign glass and on the glass was a clear purple lipstick stain along with the glasses all having liquid in them still from the previous guest . So we had to end up drinking out of the bottle.

Well while the rest of the days were cool, and if we had a question we ultimately went to Bernard and Franklin, because the Clerk had a very nasty attitude with us, and would answer our questions with a 1 word answer.
So on our last night there, we decided to Rent a Vehicle, so that we could travel to the last club we were going to visit , and for us to have the Car to go to the FT. Lauderdale Airport the next day, because the Shuttle The Client Hotel Provides only goes to the MIAMI Airport, and it only made since to rent a car for $50.00 vs. paying $84.00 again for a taxi to take us to the airport. So we rented the vehicle at 8pm and checked it in to Valet at about 8:30pm, we went to our room. Well after everyone got ready to go out for the night, we went to valet ( that spoke very little English ) and asked for our car. He open the draw, and stated " no key ", So we then proceeded to the front desk and there was a Different clerk (thank goodness ) whom called the valet and spoke with the supervisor of valet, whom stated that " they have been looking for us and that we checked our car in and left out with our car and checked it back in and did not give them the key, and that we need to look in our room for the key", so I advised them that we did not leave back out that we have been in our room the whole time and if they have been looking for us that they should have knocked on our door, called our room or even called our cell phone that was provided to them. So we all searched our two rooms to make sure we did not have the key. So I proceeded back down to the front desk , asked to speak with the Supervisor of Valet again, while I was talking on the phone with Valet, the supervisor advised me that his name is Joe and that they Valet that took our information and key the first time states that we did not give him a key ", So I proceeded to tell the supervisor that him or the Valet is going to come back up to this hotel and look for our key. So the Supervisor of Valet Joe, stated he was on his way. So Mind you, we went to Valet at 11:30pm, No one came back to the hotel until 2:30am, so we waited 3 hours mind you we could have been went out and back by this time. The crazy thing is that The original person that Valet our car, pulled up in his car, and then all of the sudden the Valet that told us there was no key, pulled around the corner with our Car. He told us the keys were left in the car. I then advised then that we are not stupid that He was joy riding in our car and that, if you valet a car, they have a key box that the keys are to be left in not the car. All in all they refunded the $28.00 valet fee back , but I did not feel that was enough due to experience, and they stated that we will have to talk to the hotel management the following morning before check out.

Myself and my Husband was able to speak with the manager Shana, She was very polite and understood our concerns, She offered us and Upgraded stay during our next stay but I did advise her that We will not be staying here again, So she asked me what I would like to see happen. I advised her that I feel it would be fair if she would be able to provide us with a 1 night credit on our Room and The 2nd room we reserved as they experience all we have as well. She stated she will see what she could do and would give us a call. So while we were packing up, she called and stated to my Husband that there was a $180.00 balance left on our room because our card was not charged, and that she will be able to give us a $75.00 credit toward our room only because our friends paid for their room in cash. I then spoke her over the phone and did advise here that our card should have been charged but seeing that we were dealing with a very rude person at check it, I am sure that is why it was not done, and that I am not please at all with just a $75.00 credit toward our room and our room only, because there was nothing documented that the other guest had any complaints., which is crazy because we all complained at the same time. How I figured it is that we both should have been credited back a night stay for each room , because our check in was just terrible and our last night truly was taken away from us, because the 3rd party Valet they use was more then likely joy riding in our Rental Car. She continued to state that is all they could do. All in all my Anniversary trip could have never been ruined because I was spending it with my Husband, but I did not feel I should have experienced any of this during my Anniversary.
I feel that I am a very Chilled and relaxed person. And to be honest this is the first time I have stayed at a hotel and was able to get so frustrated with the service and being brushed off with complaints. This truly is my first Review. I will NOT SUGGEST this hotel to ANYONE!!!

Sorry this review is so long, but I just could not leave anything out, I feel it should be known with that we had to deal with.

Room Tip: Rooms are not as spaciouse as I thought but dealt with it. You hear all convo in the Hallway and in...
Dear Leetina S.,

Thank you for your review. We are deeply apologetic for your experience at our hotel. Please rest assured that we are retraining our staff to improve the quality of service at our hotel. We welcome your future return to our hotel and re-evaluate the quality of our services.

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Naples, Florida
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We booked this hotel for a night after seeing it on the Internet. It looked hip, funky and fun. We checked into our room and the first thing I noticed was how dirty the carpet was. I don't think it was vacuumed.i opened the door to the outside and there was a cockroach floating in the water. Our shower leaked and it was loud. Finally, when we checked out, the valet brought us the wrong car and he spoke almost no English so it took us 20 minutes to get our car

If the hotel was 75 bucks I would have been ok with all the issues but at 200 I'll pass

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the front desk
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Blancheee
Jimmy M, Daniela Garcia - Hotel Manager at Clinton Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, July 17, 2015
Thank you for sharing your feedback.

We apologize for the challenges that you faced during your stay. However, we are happy to announce that the Clinton Hotel has recently undergone a change of Ownership, and will be striving to provide various enhancements to improve our guest experience.

We hope you will return in the near future to experience all the exciting improvements!
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Hello,

I checked in Friday Aug 9th, I had booked two rooms about a month before through the Hotel Clinton Hotel Reservation Phone Line. The total price I was quoted was $690 for four nights for each room. I booked two rooms, one for me and wife, the other for my friend and his girlfriend.

Upon checking in, I was told the total for each room was $743. I asked the Young Girl who was working the Front Desk, about the price difference, she smartly replied there is a "Nightly Resort Fee that is additionally charged, that I should of seen online." I politely let her know I booked the room over the phone, she then replied "please step to the side, until you figure your money out, while I help somebody else."

*I have no problem at all paying a Resort Fee, just wish I would of been notified when booking room

I felt bad when I had to explain the price difference to my friends, and request the additionally money. At that point my friend whom I was traveling with, whom was staying in the other room, politely asked they young lady at they front desk for an itemized list of what all the charges are for the room, the young girl at the front desk replied "NO, you get a list of all of your charges when you check out." This was very frustrating to us, at that point, the young girl at the front desk told my friend "You Can Have A Seat, I'm Not Dealing With You." We surprised by the lack of customer Service. At this point we just wanted to check in, I paid for my Room With a Master Card were a Hold was taken, and my friend paid for his Room in Cash.

Later in the Day, the hotel Concierge apologized for the lady at the front desk lack of customer service, and told us that happens frequently, and later in the day he placed a bottle of champagne in each of our rooms. Though the champagne was cheap, it was the thought that counts!

Upon Checking in the room, the room is pretty okay:
Pros:
1.Nice Bathroom
2.Flat Screen TV
3.Room 245 Had a Good view of Washington Ave

Cons:
1.Stiff Bed
2. Drinking Glasses in the Room were clearly stained, and had not been washed from previous guest

Everything was okay the next couple of days, though there was obviously tension whenever our party saw the rude front desk girl in the lobby.

On Monday Aug 12, our group decided to to get rental car, since it would be cheaper to pay $50 for a one day, rental than pay $85 again for a taxi from Fort Lauderdale Airport, to the hotel. The hotel uses a Third Party valet service. We checked our car in around 9pm and left the keys with the valet worker and was given a ticket. At 1130pm when we attempted to retrieve our vehicle, we gave the new valet worker, our valet ticket. The Valet worker who spoke very limited english then looked around for a min confused, then replied "NO KEYS" The Front Desk worker, suggested we check our room, for the keys, we assured her we gave the keys to the valet, but we still checked anyway. After we let notified the Front Desk Worker, and Valet Worker, we didn't have the keys. Front Desk worker then contacted the Valet Company owner, who then contacted the valet worker whom checked us in. That valet worker then returned around 1:50am. By this time we were IRATE as we had requested our car nearly two hours before. We still headed out to the club that night, but by getting there after 2am, we all paid inflated club entry probably an extra $30-40 each person.

The next morning upon checking out, we requested to speak w/ Hotel Manager Shana, whom was very nice, but unfortunately did little to rectify the situation. She offered $75 off our, room, and our room only. We asked what about our friends whom were traveling with us in the other room, who suffered every inconvenience with us, she stated "She could not do anything for them, because, she had no record of them complaining???" Additionally she stated "They have already paid their total in cash anyway, so there wasn't really much she could do?" Hello...Maybe a partial refund.

Between 2 rooms our total was nearly $1500, and we were definitely inconvenienced more than $75! LOL...We spent more than $75 in inflated club entry prices when valet lost our car. Definitely not saying the rooms should be free, but taking 5% off between two rooms is pretty low. Shana is offer complimentary upgrade room on our next visit, as if they earned another dollar by the level of service that was shown.

My next visit to South Beach, I will def be picking another location

1 Thank dastewart08
Shana M, Manager at Clinton Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear dastewart08,

Dear guest, thank you for your recent stay with us and sharing your comments. We take all guest feedback very seriously in effort to improve our services. We apologize for your inconvenience and rest assured that we have addressed our Front Desk staff and Valet in regards to your experience. Our objective is to provide a quality hotel experience and beyond for all of our guests.

During your visit, we listened to your concerns regarding your experience. In response, our team provided complimentary breakfast, waived all resort fees, waived valet charges and credited you half of your room rate which was $75. Our credits totaled $147 which equates to one night’s stay.

It's unfortunate that our response was inadequate to your standards. We had hoped that our responsiveness and understanding would have been exceptional. We welcome you to give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations. Thank you for the compliment. :)

Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Although, my business trip was cancelled, I am very honored to have experienced such great customer service while speaking with one of your representatives. The hotel is a fabulous stay with an awesome view. I will be visiting again. -Thank you!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your visit and for sharing your feedback.

We are happy to hear that you had a great time and enjoyed your stay. We are thrilled to announce the Clinton Hotel has recently undergone a change of Ownership, and will be striving to provide various enhancements to improve our guest experience.

Tallahassee
Reviewed August 13, 2013

The Clinton Hotel was amazing and Shana Mitchell their Sales manager is phenomenal. She met my every need and considered my busy schedule, throughout my stay. The hotel was a bit relaxing and the concierge was friendly as well. I had an amazing trip to Miami, thanks to the Clinton.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your visit and for sharing your feedback.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Booked two nights at this hotel ( July 30/31) but left after one night. The hotel location is fine. Close to beach but the area is pretty sketchy nowadays (This is my sixth trip down). It is a small hotel, tiny lobby, decent rooms. Upon arrival I looked around to find that the "pool area" was actually under construction so in fact there is no decent area to sit outside. After an afternoon at the beach (where I had all my belongings stolen!), I returned to try to relax and have a nap. Impossible as the music from the bar next to the lobby blares all day and into the night. The following morning I was woken up at 7 am to the sound of construction which might as well have been in my room as it was so loud. This went on all morning as the first floor is being renovated and I was above on second floor. I immediately called Expedia and insisted to be refunded the second night as I had no intention of staying another night. Ended up moving up to 17th/Collins to the Surfcomber and had an amazing stay there. Yes, it's more expensive but worth every penny and in a much more upscale location as well as right on the beach.
I will say that the concierge was very nice and the bartenders were great at raising my spirits after my awful day!
This hotel is two star at best!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Shana M, Manager at Clinton Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Bonjour Madame Lola¬_fromTO2013,
We do apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your visit at our hotel. During the time of your stay we were in the process of redesigning our pool area and there was minimal noise from 10am to 3pm. Our hotel is located in the heart of the Art Deco district, walking distance from all entertainment and shops. We continually strive to improve the quality of our hotel with new upgrades to keep up with the standards. Please accept my sincere apologies for your experience and I would like to invite you during your next trip to experience the changes.