“Great Location, Average Hotel”

Clinton Hotel South Beach
Ranked #155 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York City, New York
“Great Location, Average Hotel”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I stayed at this hotel a couple of months ago and I will say is average to OK. As many previous reviews have mentioned the location is great. It is close to restaurants, shops, 2 blocks away from the beach which we really enjoyed. The room was standard, we did have an issue with a leak in the ceiling called down to the front desk and advised, it took them hours to respond. The following morning we were moved to another room as the engineer could not fix the issue. On the more positive side the room was a bit larger than the previous one we were in, too bad we were leaving the next morning. The décor is very modern, very Miami which I liked. The staff could have being friendlier, as we passed the lobby none of them will say hello or greet us. I would recommend this hotel if you are looking for a great location near beach and more on the party side. If you are looking for a calm peaceful stay this is definitely not the place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Jimmy M, Daniela Garcia - Hotel Manager at Clinton Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, July 17, 2015
Thank you for sharing your feedback.

We apologize for the challenges that you faced during your stay. However, we are happy to announce that the Clinton Hotel has recently undergone a change of Ownership, and will be striving to provide various enhancements to improve our guest experience.

We hope you will return in the near future to experience all the exciting improvements!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We chose this hotel for our annual get together. We were looking for best location to go to beach, clubs, bars and restaurants. This hotels is right in the center of Miami Beach. It is located on 8th Street and Washington Blvd where all the fun begins. There are many world class clubs where Miami Heat just celebrated their 2013 NBA victory. I was there with my friends and they also loved the location and hang out area. I highly suggest and recommend you stopping by and check this hotel. I hope your experience will share common thoughts as mine.

Enjoy!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Umesh U
Thank you for your visit and for sharing your feedback.

We are happy to hear that you had a great time and enjoyed your stay. We are thrilled to announce the Clinton Hotel has recently undergone a change of Ownership, and will be striving to provide various enhancements to improve our guest experience.

New York City, New York
Reviewed July 2, 2013

My best friend and I spent a night at this hotel in June of 2013. The hotel's décor was modern and was nice. The best part of my stay was the service from the staff, especially a guy named Joel. They were very friendly and even gave us a complimentary bottle of wine for my best friend's birthday. Would stay here again for a quickie getaway.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Terrell W

Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I booked a stay-cation this past weekend and boy were we impressed! The staff was so friendly and hospitable! Everyone went above and beyond to make sure all of our needs were met! Delphi was kind enough to get us passes to all the hottest clubs, what a nice guy! Michelle and Bernard from the front desk were very responsive to us and knowledgeable about our city! I loved the restaurant inside the hotel - very convenient! Not to mention the nightly happy hour- Awesome!! The housekeeping ladies were so sweet! Everyone in the hotel had a smile on their faces - I felt at home while I was there! What a great experience, we will definetly be returning really soon!!

• Stayed June 2013

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 1, 2013

The main pro about this hotel is its location: two blocks from the beach and in an eclectic area of boutiques, tattoo parlors, and ethnically diverse restaurants.

The rooms are stark. Mine wasn't cleaned well upon check in (mildew in shower, dust in corners) but we decided to not complain because we got the sense the rest of the rooms would be the same. Plus we were only there for two days before heading to the Bahamas and figured we had bigger and better things in store.

The free breakfast puts the "m" in mediocre. Consists of pretty much your choice of a muffin, dry croissant, or bagel. Side note of weirdness, the bagel can come with cream cheese, lettuce, tomato, or onions, but no lox? Huh?

The free happy hour is lame too. Watered down drinks served by a bartender with a bad attitude. Plus is that they are "all you can drink". So drink up to get a minimal buzz. However, I will admit the rest of the staff was very friendly.

The past reviews about the pool are correct. It is not a pool and probably the size of a king sized bed.

Last thing that worked my nerves was their booking process. They charge a night's rate three days before check in, and God forbid it not go through, your reservation is immediately canceled. Well prior to the charge I needed to change the credit card I was going to use. Called to confirm they had the right number. Three days before my check in and voila, reservation is automatically cancelled because someone didn't do their job correctly. Thankfully I'd been keeping an eye on things and got it straightened out before we arrived.

Overall I'd say unless you are on an extremely limited budget, go elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank misstynee

Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed July 1, 2013

First I would like to say that employees at the hotel, especially Michelle at the front desk, were very pleasant and accomidating. We were given a refund for our 2nd night, as we decided to leave after 1 night there. Given that...when we checked in our room had water pouring out of the light in the bathroom and there was water everywhere, the maintenance man came immediately and fixed the problem but everything was soaked including our towels which we had to use to dry the floor and the counter. It was then I realized the the bathroom, and the room were really not very clean. Our other room across the hall smelled like sewage, and it had a common area with a soaking pool? whatever it was, it was dirty and had toilet paper floating in it, it was really gross. The sheets on the bed did seem clean, I used my flashlight on my phone to make sure, because there was no lighting in the room near the bed, only low purple lighting.

This obviously isn't a family hotel, and I wouldn't even consider it a romantic getaway for couples, even my daughters who are in their 20s would agree it was kind of sleezy. (Nude silhouettes at every room number? what's that about?)

It was a great location, near everything, shopping, eating, the beach. They just need to pay more attention to cleaning the rooms and the pool area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Palm Harbor, Florida
Reviewed June 25, 2013

What a mess this hotel is! First they sent us to the wrong hotel - their "sister property" the Astor across the street - took them 1 hour and 30 minutes to admit they couldn't figure out why they couldn't find our reservation, and acted like we were trying to sneak in, so we sat in the lobby waiting, which made for a very bad first impression. After wasting precious time not on the beach, we walked down the street to the Clinton, which looked much better - bigger and busier. We were given a suite (I think it's all they had available) & when we walked in we were a little impressed. Jacuzzi tub in the bathroom, a big open room, fridge and mini-bar. But this hotel had no on-site manager that we could find, they ran out of ice on Saturday afternoon - yes, I said ice - and sent me to the bar, who offered me 1 cup, since they were low on ice. The continental breakfast was a roll shaped like a croissant, coffee and 4 oz of juice. The second day we walked to a little grocery and spent $5 for a real croissant and a delicious latte. Roaches & trash behind the icemaker (so I was only mildly disappointed that I couldn't get ice), only 2 small machines for 4 floors of rooms. On the second day, we realized that the maid service consisted of replacing towels and making the bed. No more coffee packs for the coffee maker, and we washed out the coffee cups ourselves, then bought the latte the next day. We also wiped down the tub and saw that the trash was not emptied. I have stayed in S. Beach for years, old hotels don't necessarily mean dirty and poor service, but this one certainly did. Michelle at the front desk was their biggest saving grace - she was friendly and tried to accommodate us, but Liza at the Astor and most of the other employees are in sad need of some standards and training, and most of all some real management. I also don't get the nude silhouettes on the guest room doors, and the room next to our was "reserved" for someone who uses it monthly. It all made me feel like this hotel has seen some sordid stories - if only it could talk...

The location is great, but there are about 100 other hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.