“Home away from home” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #119 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York
“Home away from home”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

If you're used to having your own space (especially of you live and travel with boyfriend, husband, dog, etc) this place will suit your needs. Boulan offers apartments with 1-2 bedrooms. They are spacious and fully equipped with washer/dryer and enough pans and dishes to cook a nice quick meal if you're sick of dining out. I've read some other reviews and apparently people travel to Miami with the intention of cooking 5 star gourmet meals, so if that describes you, bring your own pans and accoutrements.

The hotel is a short walk away from the beach and next to museums, clubs, and parks. It's not a bad walking area an you're just far enough removed from the strip that you can have some peace and quiet if you want it.

The hotel is currently going trough a renovation phase where thy are adding shops, restaurants and an entire area to the ground floor. I couldn't hear any construction from my room, but this also means that Boulan does not offer the amenities you would expect from a traditional hotel: room service, restaurant, shops, spa, or very dependable room cleaning for that matter. For me, the space and the feeling of being home more than make up for the lack in amenities since you can buy anything you need down the street. There's also a very nice pool and roof area, but no bar yet.

My advice: if apartment hotels are more your style, stay at the Boulan and take advantage of the current prices. You would pay more to stay at a tiny cubhole in SLS. If you can't live without breakfast in bed, go elsewhere.

Room Tip: The hotel has special rooms that I believe are the same rate as the ones advertised, but with more b...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Juliana S
JimmyMouawadGM, General Manager at Boulan South Beach, responded to this review, February 24, 2015
Thank you for your recent visit and for sharing your feedback!

We are happy to read that our rooms and product met your expectations! I am pleased to say that we have changed management since you last stayed at Boulan, and now offer several amenities that were unavailable during your last visit.

We hope you will come back and stay with us again, and give us a chance to take your experience to the next level!

Jimmy Mouawad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

I stayed at this property after reading mixed reviews. You can spend the same money and get a 500 sq feet room with no balconies, kitchen, or space to entertain. First of all the property is in the center of it all. The staff Mr. Crispin, and Andre respectfully take care of what you ask promptly.

i stayed in room 402. Corner room with 2 balconies on two sides of the room. Kitchen and bathroom were immaculate with about 1200 sq. feet. noise from the street a non issue. i say its a gem of a deal, and the pool on the roof is the cherry on top.

Room Tip: 402 away from Collins. much more spacious than a regular room at another hotel. great place to ent...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
10 Thank justin h

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

My husband, mother-in-law, 2 year old son and I just returned from a week of bliss at Boulan. As a condo/hotel we weren't expecting the kind of service we got. The concierge, and then every subsequent staff member we met, was so warm and welcoming. Bakery breakfast was delicious and saved us from spending that much more at restaurants. The suites were quintessentially South Beach - clean, user-friendly, and modern, but maintaining that Art Deco consistency. Bathrooms were spectacular - like something out of James Bond. The pool area was Heaven. Perfect for quietly reading in the sun or for splashing around with kids. The rooms were so noise-proofed, literally the sound of jackhammers directly under our balcony was shut out by the doors.
Except for the lack of coffee makers in the room, the place was perfect. We will book again next year. Best place we've stayed in Miami Beach.

• Stayed February 2013
9 Thank marsionbroadway
Maria B, General Manager at Boulan South Beach, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Marisionboradway,

Thank you very much for a wonderful review. We strive to delight all of our guests and all feedback is greatly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back and if there is anything I may personally do to make your future visit even better kindly let me know.

Best regards,

Albert L. Mertz
Flagstaff, az
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

I couldn't have been happier with the Boulan South Beach. We prefer to stay in "Condo" style hotels with full kitchens and a washer/dryer in every room. The rooms were large, new, and very nicely decorated. Our room had a very nice view up Collins Ave. The staff was very friendly and went out of their way to make sure we had what we needed.

We arrived early in the morning, well before check in, and they secured our luggage, provided a place to change and gave us access to the pool. We went and ate, checked out the area, and hung out at the pool. When our room was ready they called us on our cell phone and let us know we could check-in.

The beach is a four minute walk away, and the Boulan has reserved umbrellas and loungers on the beach. Lincoln Road Mall is an easy walk as are the many restaurants on Collins Ave. The heart of Ocean Blvd is a little farther. There is a bus, The SouthBeach Local, which stops right outside the Boulan and makes loops of the south beach area. It's 25 cents to ride and is the easiest way to get to Ocean Blvd.

As I said, we prefer to stay in condos with kitchens and in-room laundry. We pack less, and at night, when we go to bed, we just throw our clothes in the washer. There is a Walgreens just a block or two away to get any last minute items.

The Boulan is adding a restaurant in the future, though for the time being there is no bar or restaurant onsite.

Overall it was great, we will stay there again in the future.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
10 Thank crbncrsr

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

Hi stayed here from 29th Dec to 8th Jan 2013 on annual holiday. They have MAJOR construction work going on in the units below our apartments. Drilling and banging starts at 8 o'clock. On complaining to the front desk they said it was nothing to do with the Boulan but they had requested that works didn't start until 9am so that we could have longer in bed. I don't appreciate being told on my 2 weeks a year, off from work, what time I should get up and if I don't get up, have to listen to drilling until 4pm.
Upon leaving the Boulan for the day to get away from the noise we see a large compressor in the doorway of one of the units and a man with a jack hammer drilling into the concrete staircase. This was however at the other end of the corridor and although the noises travelled our room was not directly above this, but someone's must have been. Do not book here unless you have checked that the construction work has stopped. Which I would say is many months away from finishing.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jackie M
Dear Jackie,

Thank you very much for your feedback. This allows us to continue to create a property which is a market leader, but more importantly delight our guests. I am deeply sorry that you were inconvenienced by the issues you shared as we strive to expand the property. Nonetheless, kindly accept my apologies and feel free to to contact me when you wish to return to South Beach.

Kind regards,

Albert L. Mertz
Richmond, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

Just returned from a girlfriends' weekend and we stayed two nights at the Boulan. If you understand that at this time, this is really more of a condo rental than a hotel, you should be absolutely delighted. (I understand restaurants will be opened in the future on the property which should make it more full service). One bad point - when we were there the phones didn't work. It seems like they are still getting this place up and running. Nonetheless, it is extremely sleek and modern, and my guess is the apartment was far more spacious and stylish than any hotel room you could get for its location and price. Although the staff was truly minimal, the front desk guys were extremely helpful, considerate and tried hard to provide excellent customer service. The rooftop pool and lounge area is gorgeous and was my favorite part of the property. I felt like I was in a movie set. If I ever return to South Beach, I would definitely stay at the Boulan again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank DebsterBaby

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

Although this place is being marketed as a "boutique" hotel which normally means a hotel with few rooms and good style Boulan simply isn't either.
The rooms are small apartments and vary according to ownership. There is NO room service NO bar NO restaurant all of which I would expect to find as checking in a hotel.
We discovered all this upon our arrival as this was not stated on Expedia or bookings although when I was searching for a 4/5 star hotel in South Beach Boulan came close to top of the search list.
This remains a mystery .....
We complained before even viewing the room but since it was almost 10 pm we decided to stay for the first night and as suggested by the night porter discuss our situation with the GM in the morning.
The room was clean but the mattress terrible !
I called Expedia to complain about being sold something that did not reflect reality.
They apologized and said that the terms were "no refund" but if Boulan's duty manager agreed they would provide us a refund and find us alternative accommodation.
I went downstairs to find out the manager was in a staff meeting and although she clearly knew I was going to speak to her(Expedia called prior to me going downstairs) she kept me waiting at least 15 mins.
She was extremely rude and didn't remotely understand my view. I felt fairly intimidated by her severe tone so I returned to the room upset and asked my husband to go see her.
He did and she was even ruder to him talking over him and threatened to call the POLICE!!!!! He hadn't' t even raised his voice but was simply trying to explain the reason of our discontent .
We eventually contacted the owner .(Mr Vardi)
He was nicer to deal with but charged us for the night we stayed ( which I don't dispute) and half the day we spent trying to check out!
If you want a well located self catering accommodation Boulan will do but if you want a sleek hotel
DON 'T.
There are lots of lovely buzzing boutique hotels with polite staff in South Beach !!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank CrisMil333
Thank you for your recent visit and for sharing your feedback!

I apologize for the challenges you faced while staying with us. I am pleased to say that we have changed management since you last stayed at Boulan, and now offer several amenities that were unavailable during your last visit.