“Not Ready But Great Space”
Review of Boulan South Beach

Boulan South Beach
Ranked #130 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Not Ready But Great Space”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Don't book here if you expect a normal hotel experience. They are barely a hotel -- very little service if any. But you do get a really nice big condo with full kitchen, living room, huge bathrooms, really nice new spaces, for a good price right in a nice area of South Beach. It's a nice deal if you don't need all the services of a hotel like bell hop/porter, concierge, taxi service, etc. I think this is why there are such high and low reviews. The rooftop pool area is lovely and was empty when I was there (though it was low season). My room was REALLY nice. But I could tell that the place was still preparing for game day, so to speak. They were still installing the phones in September 2012. Still, I'd stay here again with friends to take advantage of the huge rooms and nice roof. It's worth it if you get a good price and don't expect the service of a nice hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
JimmyMouawadGM, General Manager at Boulan South Beach, responded to this review, February 24, 2015
Thank you for your visit and for sharing your feedback!

We are happy to read that our rooms and product met your expectations! I am pleased to say that we have changed management since you last stayed at Boulan, and now offer several amenities that were unavailable during your last visit.

We hope you will come back and stay with us again, and give us a chance to take your experience to the next level!

Jimmy Mouawad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

After a debacle of staying at The Perry hotel we lucked out to come across this place. The residences were extremely spacious and had every bit of ammenities you could ask for. The pool is relaxing with its cabanas and lounges never overloaded with people. Just what we needed after a few too many big nights out in Miami. I would highly recommend this place. The staff we very friendly, helpful and personable. We will stay again.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank David C

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I had a wonderful stay at the Boulan, I hate when customers use this site, the fact that some people will make up stuff just to get free stuff is beyond me. I had nothing but great things to say about this property. The Manager was super helpful and provided us with everything we needed. The Cleaning staff was nothing more than excellent, the apartment is superb, the rooftop pool was amazing, i wish the phone will be better and the TV channels as well but hey i did not come to the beach to watch tv or talk on the phone. I want to thank everyone at Boulan for their kind and warm reception.

Cant wait to come back to this Amazing hotel and THanks Clauido for your help you are the best.

Room Tip: get a unit with a balcony nicer layout
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Mark A

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Avoid this place if possible.

I arrived in the Boulan Hotel (MIAMI SOUTH BEACH) just after 10 pm and was informed that there was no porter to help me with 5 bags to room. I had to take these myself. I was informed later that belle services were not 24 hours.

The room sofa bed was extremely uncomfortable with a very cheap thin mattress that I could not sleep on properly as one could easily feel the strings through the mattress. I complained and was told that there was no alternative. The King bed could not fit myself , my wife and 2 young children comfortably.

The air conditioning was also not working in the room and we were therefore moved to another room that night.

The following day I complained to the manager who was very unhelpful initially stating that if i had complaints about lack of porter and mattress that i should contact expedia and ask them to find me another hotel.

I felt this was unhelpful and after some more discussion he mentioned that he would try and find me another mattress which he did. This was slightly more comfortable but once again too short for me.

I also complained that the phone in our room was not connected and he stated that because these were condos owned by individuals but rented out that certain guests had not paid there phone bills and therefore the owners of individual condos had decided to have phone disconnected. This was very unhelpful as every time we had a query we would have to leave our room and go down to the front desk. The hotel website also stated that the phone in each room would allow guests to make free local calls. As we had no phone we could not utilise this service.

Also the expedia website states that there is a private beach for hotel but the hotel front staff denied this stating it was a mistake by expedia.

Also the complimentary breakfast was very sparse and unless you got down very early the few croissants, milk, apples, ornahge juice would be finished. Also these items had to be carried back to the condo as there was no communal breakfast area.

All in all this was a very poor experience at this hotel apart from 1 staff member called Robert who was very helpful and polite unlike the other staff that we encountered.

Avoid this condo hotel experience if you wish hotel type services as these are non existent. Although the hotel is close to the beach there are no other benefits to staying here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank asif r
Thank you for sharing your feedback!

I apologize for the challenges you encountered while staying with us regarding the AC and phone lines. I am pleased to say that we have changed management since you last stayed at Boulan, and now offer several amenities that were unavailable during your last visit.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Hello i just had the best vacation in my life, we are from Brazil and stayed at the Boulan for 5 days we loved the entire place the rooftop pool was just amazing the staff was nothing but the best the Manager was at the desk and helped us out with dinner reservation and places and things to do we thank him for the referals for restaurants wow the front porch was super nice and very affordable. The cleaning staff was always nice and our unit was always very clean, my only complaint was the lack of pay per view movies and the phone was not the usual hotel rather than a privite line but i guess this is the case in some condo hotels. I come with my family every year to miami this time was the best, i will come back to the Boulan and the manager even gives you his own number so he can take care of your next visit wow never had that offered before. Dont pay attention to those people that are so nasty, you know whom you are this place was just best ahh also they have their own section at the beach with chairs and it was free..... LOVE IT !!!!!

Room Tip: Our unit didn't have a balcony but it was very big for all of us nice place lots of windows very...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Nudian
Thank you for sharing your feedback!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Don't believe the hype! This place is only good if traveling in a group (spacious condo)! Management is horrible! I had to call down to the front desk every single day of my stay for multiple issues(plumbing problems, housekeeping issues , etc etc... This property may be better if it was ran by better management . It is on the far end of the strip (21st and Collins) nice setup but you have to deal with a lot in order to really really enjoy your stay.. Overall I would recommend only because of space!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your recent visit and for sharing your feedback!

I am sorry to hear about the challenges you encountered while staying with us. We are pleased to say that we have changed management since you last stayed at Boulan, and now offer several amenities that were unavailable during your last visit.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 23, 2012

The 4 of us stayed at Boulan in August 2012. We thought we found a good deal for a 1 Bedroom suite in a good location but after reading some of the reviews didn't expect much. It turned out worse than I ever thought it could, I spent around 100 nights a year at different hotels-this was the worst experience ever.
On arrival to the hotel the staff at the front desk said there was a problem with the reservation and we needed to speak to a manager. The manager came and was very apologetic and told us a story about plumbing issues in half of the building, it was so bad that the rooms couldn't be occupied and the rooms unaffected were all taken so there was nothing he could do but provide another hotel for us. He said he felt very embarrassed and we would not have to pay for the first night and he would upgrade us to a 2 bedroom suite for the rest of our stay. He sounded sincerely sorry so we believed him.
The alternative hotel he booked for our first night was the Perry, which will be nice in a year or so, but for now is a construction site and the noise there is unbelievable!! We couldn't even eat lunch there because it was that loud, you had to scream to talk to your friends! The room he booked for us was a double room with 2 queen beds side by side, which was not what we booked in Boulan(1bedroom suite with a bedroom and a living room with a pull out sofa) so not exactly suitable for 2 couples to share.
Next day we went back to Boulan and the reception staff gave us a key to a 1 bedroom suite that we originally booked. When we mentioned the promised upgrade they said they didn't know anything about that and we need to speak to the manager. When we asked him he denied having ever said anything about an upgrade!! We have tried to remind him exactly what he said but he just started insulting us saying that we were making it up and he could have never said anything like that and told us a few lies about the prices of different rooms etc.. He then continued shouting that we called him a liar and he would kick us out and call the police if we didn't stop complaining!!! It was bizzare..
We later found out that there were no plumbing issues and the hotel was overbooked for the 1st night, that's why they couldn't accommodate us.
When we got to the room there was no bedding provided for a pull out sofa and we had to wait for someone to come and get it for us. The bedding they came with was used and not washed after, there was tape with long black hairs stuck on it, it was disgusting! So we had to ask for new sheets and the answer we got: sorry, but we don't have anything else!! I couldn't believe my ears!!
The pull out sofa is impossible to sleep on, it's the cheapest thing you can find and the mattress springs are right in your back, there is no support whatsoever. It's horrible, don't even consider sleeping on it!!
Our room was not cleaned once in 3 days, even though we were leaving at around 10 a.m and coming back at 5p.m each day so they had plenty of time.
We still haven't got the refund promised by the manager and it seemed he was trying to avoid the reception area so we didn't see him anymore.
Most of the reception staff seem nice and embarrassed for the managers behaviour and have apologised multiple times for it.
The man just has no clue on how to treat his customers and run a business...the only things coming out of his mouth are lies and insults.
Shame because the hotel is a nice idea and could be great but with the current management should be avoided!!

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank Raandance
Thank you for your recent visit and for sharing your feedback!

I apologize for the challenges you encountered while staying with us. I am pleased to say that we have changed management since you last stayed at Boulan, and now offer several amenities that were unavailable during your last visit.