“I really don't understand the negative reviews of this place.”
Review of Boulan South Beach

Boulan South Beach
Ranked #125 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I have just got back from the Boulan and don't understand the negative comments here. I experienced no loud building work whatsover. I am VERY picky and if there was anything to be annoyed about, I would have noticed!

The staff are very friendly and helpful. Everything is as you see in the photographs and was very clean and professional. As I was there for work it was great to have laundry facilities and a kitchen so I wasn't dependent on expensive laundry services and could make myself tea and breakfast etc. Had great wardrobe facilities, one was 'walk in' so much space for my husband and I though.
The pool and gym are quiet, clean and great. The room is cleaned daily and they did a good job of that too. I would def stay here again.
Its close to the beach and a short walk to the main shopping drag of Lincoln and restaurants etc. I really think it was great. Very spacious.
If I was going again I would remember to pack the following:
Laundry powder to use in the washing machine. A small thing of cooking oil and some of my own salt and pepper. Washing up liquid and a sponge for the kitchen (though the maid did clean stuff too) some dishwasher tablets. These are all the things you don't want to buy in large quantities when you are away, so those additions would have meant a smaller spend in the supermarket.

If I had one niggle it would probably be that the water pressure in the bath wasn't very strong and the water didn't come out very hot in the bath either so I didn't have a bath while I was there, but the shower was great.

Loved it, will def book again

Room Tip: we were in room 303 and it was quiet and good.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Oscarlake
JimmyMouawadGM, General Manager at Boulan South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2015

Thank you for your recent visit and for sharing your feedback!

We are happy to read that our room quality and product met your expectations! I am pleased to say that we have changed management since you last stayed at Boulan, and now offer several amenities that were unavailable during your last visit.

We hope you will come back and stay with us again and take your experience to the next level!

Reviewed July 6, 2012

Apartment block with empty rooms that the developer is renting out as hotel rooms. No facilities, poor customer service and expensive. Avoid this dump at all costs!!

I changed to a different hotel because this was so bad and it is nothing like their website would have you believe.

Room Tip: My tip for a good room is to choose a different hotel!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank David S

Thank you for your recent visit and for sharing your feedback.

I apologize for the challenges that you faced hile being our guest. I am pleased to say that we have changed management since your last visit, and now offer several amenities that were unavailable during your last visit.

We hope you will come back and stay with us again, and give us a chance to take your experience to the next level!

Reviewed July 5, 2012

We booked a whole week at Boulan because the pictures of the studio in Expedia look very nice and trendy and I wanted to celebrate my birthday with two friends.
But don't be fooled by that! Our room was on the third floor although we had asked for a higher floor, but front desk clerk said he couldn't find any trace of that info. He told us that he will let a note to his manager to put us on a higher floor since the next day they might be some departure...We agreed hoping it's only 1 night on the third floor.
The room was big, spacious, fully furnished, and looked clean and nice. But when you look closer, there were dust under the bed, and around the window. But I didn't want to make a big deal about that so I cleanned myself. We had dinner outside and went back in the studio to relax and watch tv after our long flight. The bedroom tv remote control had suspicious white creamy stains on it, yerk! The bathroom hand shower didn't work, and there is a strange useless gap between the tub and the faucet, so water could be spilled. The king bed matress was pretty hard! And the pull out coach matress was horrible even my cat wouldn't want to sleep on it, only a fakir could because it's like a barbed wire covered with a thin blanket. So we called the front desk and explain about the very bad quality of the matress, he said he will arrange for a roll over bed to be installed the next day, meaning we had to deal with it that first night, so we ended up sleeping at three in the king bed!! What a great start for my birthday celebration vacation...but this is only the beginning!
We were pretty tired so we managed to sleep rather quickly around 23h...BUT around 7-8 am we had been awaked by a terribly loud drilling sound, I though the building was collapsing over me. What a horrible wake up call!!! The noise was so intense and long that we couldn't even hear us talking to each other. It was surreal! We called the front desk clerk, it just said there's a renovation going on below us, and the sound is normal from 8 to 5 pm no apologies though. He said we will probably move to another room, but no certainty yet until the manager will assign us a new room.
The staff seems to be blasé about our complaints, I guess we are not the first nor the last ones!
So we called expedia with our cellular phone ( no telephone in the room!) explaining our problem, the lady on the line barely heard us because of the very loud non stop noise. After almost 45 mn with her, she offered to give back the money they charged for the rest of our stay but they still have to charge us for that incredible lovely first night at Boulan! But we'll only be credited in more than a week, in the meantime we had to pay for another hotel. Fortunately we had several credit card to book at another hotel. Imagine if we only had a debit card, we would be stuck with that renovation drilling sound from 7-5pm for one week with a careless staff.
We booked the rest of our week with Marriott!! ( don't walk away from the safe side of the road).

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank WorldwideBee

Thank you for your recent visit and for sharing your feedback.

I apologize for the challenges that you faced with construction noise while being our guest. I am pleased to say that we have changed management since your last visit, and that the retail area that was under construction is now open for business!

Reviewed June 30, 2012

We stayed at Boulan for just one night and honestly I wish we could stayed more! We took a nice room facing the ocean. The furniture of the room is modern and neat. We really enjoyed the pool on the rooftop with a great panorama on South Beach. I can definitely recommend the Boulan.
I just hope that next time we'll visit we can find ice in the freezer or an ice machine somewhere.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank maphia88
JimmyMouawadGM, General Manager at Boulan South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2015

Thank you for your recent visit and for sharing your feedback!

We hope you will come back and stay with us again, as it will be an experience on a better level!

Reviewed June 23, 2012

Condo Hotel, every room different, depends on the owner. For example: 406. spacious but no amenities. 411 great amenities and spacious. No structure at all and the General Manager says it is all about location....? If you have your own car you have to pay 15 dollars every day to use it .Ocean Drive is a laugh, you are ripped off and the quality of food is very bad. A as tourist
I will book far away from the Hotspots next time.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed May 1, 2012

I was staying with a friend and I just felt like I needed more space. So lo and behold the sky opened up and a light shone on this place on my hotels.com app. I booked it immdiately and after a night out arrived at 1 am. Now I will tell you, like others this is not a hotel. However, I think its fabulous just the way it is. A front-desk person has to let you in if you arrive extremely late. And yes sometimes it is a little awkward at the desk in recieving your room and I think this is based on the fact that the people there are not in full control. The manager (whom you never see) is off-site. But any issue I had was resolved in a reasonable amount of time and was quickly forgotten once I arrived in my "Condo". By the end of my stay I loved my front desk guys although I can't remember their names.
When I saw my room I lost my breath....I began running around in and out all of the rooms. How often can you do that in a hotel??? I felt like I was on the set of a music video. The furnishings are the cutest I have ever seen. The view was fabulous off the balcony...especially at night. I will most definitely attempt to stay there again (notice attempt because this is expensive). The main bathroom is HUGE. The living room is gorgeous. And the open kitchen is fully equipped. Did I mention the flat sceens???? It wasn't unitl the night before I left that I ventured to the roof....I lost my breath again. The pool, the hot tub, the view are all AMAZING.
The only people who complain about this place are those who have a silver spoon and refuse to do ANYTHING for themself. I highly recommend it.

Note for Manager: A little welcome book in the room would go a long way in explaining where things are (i.e. towels, utensils, and explaining how to work the TVs).

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
6  Thank Jennifer W

Thank you for your recent visit and for sharing your feedback!

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our hotel product and location. There have been management changes since you last stayed with us, and we now offer several amenities that were unavailable during your last visit. We now have an on-site restaurant, and room service available.

Reviewed April 24, 2012

I do not think it fair at all that this is billed as a hotel. I was shocked to find there is no food service on premises at all, no restaurant, no bar, not even a vending machine. My dream South Beach weekend includes lying by the pool with a waiter to bring me sparkling water or wine or a snack, or at least a bar I can walk up to and order. Doesn't exist at Boulan. And, when we went out and bought our own wine, we discovered that the room doesn't have a wine opener, nor does the front desk. The rooms are actually condo apartments with full kitchens which are supposedly usable, however, there are no pots or pans or knives if you did want to cook. Ironically, our kitchen even had 3 display bottles of wine. The way the location is described is also deceptive; it says the hotel is between the the W and the Setai, which would lead one to believe it is on the beach side of Collins. It is not; it is actually across the street from the Setai, so not on the beach. Several other standard hotel things which the hotel claims to provide but does not are television (we had a TV but no channels), internet (luckily the Setai lobby signal from across the street is strong enough that we were able to use that), blackout curtains (our bedroom had brown craft paper taped to the window). The pillows in our room were awful; I read later that they have a pillow menu, but no one offered this to us and I didn't know to ask until it was too late, so I'm not sure if they do or not. Spa tub - while there is such a tub on the roof, it didn't get any warmer than the pool. So, I decided to go back to my room and take a bath, and the bath tub didn't get any warmer than luke-warm either. Upon check-in, there was no hairdryer in my room, and it took 2 requests and several hours to get one. By the way, there are no phones in the rooms, so you have to either go to the front desk or call from your cell. Also, this is a tiny thing but it bugged me - the toiletries did not include separate shampoo and conditioner but a combined one; to me, that's the difference between a 3-star and a 4-star hotel. For the price we paid, and the way the hotel is described, I expected 4-star, but as I said in the title, this wasn't even a hotel, but rather a condo rental. I will say that the rooms are beautiful and modern and big and brand new, as is the roof top garden and pool area. The gym was average (no mats for sit-ups or stretching, though). As for clean, I gave it a 4 not a 5 because there were mystery long black hairs not only in our room but in the gym as well. If you are looking to rent a condo and do not want any of the amenities a hotel offers, like food or ambiance or other people, then the rooms are quite nice. But if you believe, as I did, that you are checking into a hotel on the beach, you will be sorely disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank josephinetraveler

Thank you for your recent visit and for sharing your feedback!

We apologize for the challenges you were faced with while staying with us. There have been management changes since you last stayed with us, and we now offer several amenities that were unavailable during your last visit. We now have an on-site restaurant, and room service availalbe from 8am-11pm, as well as an in-room minibar.