“Nice Condo and nice positioned”
Review of Boulan South Beach

Boulan South Beach
Ranked #128 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We stayed at Boulan for just one night and honestly I wish we could stayed more! We took a nice room facing the ocean. The furniture of the room is modern and neat. We really enjoyed the pool on the rooftop with a great panorama on South Beach. I can definitely recommend the Boulan.
I just hope that next time we'll visit we can find ice in the freezer or an ice machine somewhere.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank maphia88
JimmyMouawadGM, General Manager at Boulan South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2015

Thank you for your recent visit and for sharing your feedback!

We hope you will come back and stay with us again, as it will be an experience on a better level!

Reviewed June 23, 2012

Condo Hotel, every room different, depends on the owner. For example: 406. spacious but no amenities. 411 great amenities and spacious. No structure at all and the General Manager says it is all about location....? If you have your own car you have to pay 15 dollars every day to use it .Ocean Drive is a laugh, you are ripped off and the quality of food is very bad. A as tourist
I will book far away from the Hotspots next time.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed May 1, 2012

I was staying with a friend and I just felt like I needed more space. So lo and behold the sky opened up and a light shone on this place on my hotels.com app. I booked it immdiately and after a night out arrived at 1 am. Now I will tell you, like others this is not a hotel. However, I think its fabulous just the way it is. A front-desk person has to let you in if you arrive extremely late. And yes sometimes it is a little awkward at the desk in recieving your room and I think this is based on the fact that the people there are not in full control. The manager (whom you never see) is off-site. But any issue I had was resolved in a reasonable amount of time and was quickly forgotten once I arrived in my "Condo". By the end of my stay I loved my front desk guys although I can't remember their names.
When I saw my room I lost my breath....I began running around in and out all of the rooms. How often can you do that in a hotel??? I felt like I was on the set of a music video. The furnishings are the cutest I have ever seen. The view was fabulous off the balcony...especially at night. I will most definitely attempt to stay there again (notice attempt because this is expensive). The main bathroom is HUGE. The living room is gorgeous. And the open kitchen is fully equipped. Did I mention the flat sceens???? It wasn't unitl the night before I left that I ventured to the roof....I lost my breath again. The pool, the hot tub, the view are all AMAZING.
The only people who complain about this place are those who have a silver spoon and refuse to do ANYTHING for themself. I highly recommend it.

Note for Manager: A little welcome book in the room would go a long way in explaining where things are (i.e. towels, utensils, and explaining how to work the TVs).

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
6  Thank Jennifer W

Thank you for your recent visit and for sharing your feedback!

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our hotel product and location. There have been management changes since you last stayed with us, and we now offer several amenities that were unavailable during your last visit. We now have an on-site restaurant, and room service available.

Reviewed April 24, 2012

I do not think it fair at all that this is billed as a hotel. I was shocked to find there is no food service on premises at all, no restaurant, no bar, not even a vending machine. My dream South Beach weekend includes lying by the pool with a waiter to bring me sparkling water or wine or a snack, or at least a bar I can walk up to and order. Doesn't exist at Boulan. And, when we went out and bought our own wine, we discovered that the room doesn't have a wine opener, nor does the front desk. The rooms are actually condo apartments with full kitchens which are supposedly usable, however, there are no pots or pans or knives if you did want to cook. Ironically, our kitchen even had 3 display bottles of wine. The way the location is described is also deceptive; it says the hotel is between the the W and the Setai, which would lead one to believe it is on the beach side of Collins. It is not; it is actually across the street from the Setai, so not on the beach. Several other standard hotel things which the hotel claims to provide but does not are television (we had a TV but no channels), internet (luckily the Setai lobby signal from across the street is strong enough that we were able to use that), blackout curtains (our bedroom had brown craft paper taped to the window). The pillows in our room were awful; I read later that they have a pillow menu, but no one offered this to us and I didn't know to ask until it was too late, so I'm not sure if they do or not. Spa tub - while there is such a tub on the roof, it didn't get any warmer than the pool. So, I decided to go back to my room and take a bath, and the bath tub didn't get any warmer than luke-warm either. Upon check-in, there was no hairdryer in my room, and it took 2 requests and several hours to get one. By the way, there are no phones in the rooms, so you have to either go to the front desk or call from your cell. Also, this is a tiny thing but it bugged me - the toiletries did not include separate shampoo and conditioner but a combined one; to me, that's the difference between a 3-star and a 4-star hotel. For the price we paid, and the way the hotel is described, I expected 4-star, but as I said in the title, this wasn't even a hotel, but rather a condo rental. I will say that the rooms are beautiful and modern and big and brand new, as is the roof top garden and pool area. The gym was average (no mats for sit-ups or stretching, though). As for clean, I gave it a 4 not a 5 because there were mystery long black hairs not only in our room but in the gym as well. If you are looking to rent a condo and do not want any of the amenities a hotel offers, like food or ambiance or other people, then the rooms are quite nice. But if you believe, as I did, that you are checking into a hotel on the beach, you will be sorely disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank josephinetraveler

Thank you for your recent visit and for sharing your feedback!

We apologize for the challenges you were faced with while staying with us. There have been management changes since you last stayed with us, and we now offer several amenities that were unavailable during your last visit. We now have an on-site restaurant, and room service availalbe from 8am-11pm, as well as an in-room minibar.

Reviewed April 22, 2012

These self contained apartments look good, and the rooftop pool area is impressively designed. The location is great, close to beach - where you have a private area allocated with beach chairs and umbrella at no extra cost. A short walk toLincoln Road where all the action is. These are the positives. However, a few negatives; if you are leaning towards these because of the condo aspect - the kitchen is poorly equipped for cooking but fine for storage (refrigerator, pantry). The air conditioning fan can't be turned off, so there's always a cold breeze over you while you sleep. The second bathroom in our condo had a broken sink and a foul smell coming from it, so we had to keep the door shut and not use it. We also experienced the elevator problem - being taken to the basement, key not working sometimes. Our condo was a little noisy at night and all throughthe condo were pencil markings and holes on walls and doors, it appeared the apartment wasn't quite finished. The sofa bed was absolutely horrible - it was like sleeping on springs with cardboard over them. I felt sorry for my kids so I ended up sleeping on it and gave them the bed. The bathroom is HUGE with lots of wasted space which could have been put to good use in the squashy bedroom area.
I prepaid my stay but the front desk didn't have a record of it and wanted to recharge me - I'm lucky that I had a copy of my receipt with me!
Overall, looks good but I wouldn't recommend until the management iron out all the little problems that end up being one big pain, it's not really well managed at the moment.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank frankieandsandy

Thank you for your recent visit and for sharing your feedback!

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our hotel product and location. There have been management changes since you last stayed with us, and we now offer several amenities that were unavailable during your last visit. We now have an on-site restaurant, and room service availalbe from 8am-11pm, as well as an in-room minibar.

Reviewed April 3, 2012

We stayed a week at the Boulan and we liked the space and modern style of the apartment.
It's a condo hotel not a hotel - no phones, bar, restaurant etc.
Great location and really good value for the size and quality but the niggles we read about in other reviews are there.
The elevator key kept failing, and we saw others who hd the same issue - ending up in the basement as the lift doors wouldnt open at the right floor due to the activation failing.
The pool deck is gorgeous, spa isnt working, but up there its not crowded, and is lovely.
The apartment was quiet even tho we were right on the main road of Collins St and looked over the next block to the beach and we had plenty of equipment in the room,
Handy to rental bikes, Walgreens, The gorgeous W Hotel bars and a walk to Lincoln Road.
If you are in Miami for a few days it's a great spot, if you are there for just a couple of nights maybe a hotel is better - being able to nip down for a snack or a drink would be nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Collins St. They are quiet and have nicer views.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 31, 2012

Stayed here in March in a one bedroom apartment. Very well located. Also has beach access with umbrellas for its guests.
Its new with modern decor. Front desk was very helpful and friendly. Our sofabed was broken and a new bed was set up for us the next night.
The retails shops downstairs still need to be leased which will make the place better as no on premises food outlets yet.
A few small things they can easily improve upon which will enhance the guest satisfaction. There was no tea or coffee supplied in the kitchen. Our rooms only had bath towels but no face towels or hand towels. There was no tissue paper in the room or on the basin. Amenities were too small to last even one day between three of us.
This place has great future as they get settled in and take care of small issues.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your recent visit and for sharing your feedback!

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our hotel product and location. There have been management changes since you last stayed with us, and we now offer several amenities that were unavailable during your last visit. We now have a restaurant on-site, as well as several other retail stores, and we now offer complimentary in-room espresso.