“SERVICE IS A+++++”

The Hotel of South Beach
Ranked #17 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed August 9, 2007

First of All let me say - Corey, Joe and Orlando from WISH and THE HOTEL are amazing at their jobs and are a terrific representation of the property!

We were lucky enough to have our wedding ceremony & reception at The Hotel and The Spire bar on the rooftop!

The food was amazing - they customized our menu to suit our tastes, we actually were going to have the ceremony elsewhere but due to rain the hotel was happy to accommodate within a few hours notice.

We stayed in he penthouse suite - which was right next to the gym and pool. The Pool scene at The Hotel is the best - more experienced travelers and adults to more exact - not "Fratty" at all, they offer room service poolside with a full bar. The room was very comfortable and the views are unparalleled.

But first and foremost what makes this hotel worth the stay is the service. The staff really goes above and beyond to make sure each guest is happy and their needs are met.And they are truly kind people who love what they do.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,815)

Reviewed August 2, 2007

The Hotel is in a great location close to bars, restaurants & shopping. Rooms are great & look as good as pictures on the website with brilliant shower, massive bed & funky decor. Yes there was noise from lifts & doors banging but no more than any other hotel. Best feature of this hotel is its rooftop pool which was great for cooling down in & had great views. On our first day there was a model/glamour shoot by the pool which was thoroughly enjoyed by my husband. Staff at the hotel were courteous & helpful & enthusiastic about their city. Overall a great place to see south beach.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank marknshaz
Reviewed August 2, 2007

I was looking for a trendy hotel in South Beach that could cater to the needs of a middle aged, but still hip (I like to think so) guy. After extensive research, I chose The Hotel. I am fully aware of the diminutive size of most South Beach hotel rooms, and upgraded to a suite at check in. The two room suite was large with great windows and a view of Collins Avenue. This view also rudely woke me up early every morning. Beware of rooms fronting Collins Avenue. The room was stylish at one time, but I must admit looked a bit dated. Todd Oldham designed this hotel, but obviously a while back. While the bathroom looked somewhat cool, everything was falling apart! The glass shelves were slanting down to the degree that nothing would stay on them. The "waterfall" shower was great when it worked, which was about fifty percent of the time. The water didn't drain, and I was compelled to take a shower/bath most days. I asked "the engineer" to come up and fix this plumbing problem, but it never was repaired.

The bar, reputed to be a "hot spot," was empty most of the time. The pool was cool, although it was closed for a private party three of the five days I was there. I worked out in the health club which over looks the pool. That was also quite cool although the health club lacks equipment. Luckily, I was the only person who was working out.

My favorite aspect of this hotel was the concierge service. The concierge suggested lounges and clubs appropriate for my age. He was "right on," and I had a blast every night. South Beach is truly fun if you know where to go!

My major problem was in the wee hours of the morning when the hotel management decided to lay new carpet down. The pounding and shouting woke me up at an ungodly early hour. I asked the workers to please quiet down, and unfortunately became embroiled in an altercation with one of the carpet layers. The guy threatened me and was about to enter my room when I slammed the door. I called the main desk and explained the situation. The work stopped for about thirty minutes and then started again. When I checked out, the manager apologized to me and bought me a Coke. He did follow up with an email, but a promise of a free night did not matriculate.

The Hotel (I hate the name!) was probably a cutting edge design several years ago, but you can do much better for the price in South Beach now.

2  Thank Philip G
Reviewed June 29, 2007

This property is above average. It is definitely an old Art Deco hotel that is still being renovated. Dirty? No. Did it knock my socks off? No. The decor tries to take a bit of the art deco feel with modern furniture, but the rooms are still small, bathrooms tiny (no bath - just shower).

The pool is small, so on a great day its a bit crowded. You are not ON the beach, so you have to go around the block to pick up your towels and loungers. That is quite common on Miami Beach.

The location is great - right in the hub of shopping, restaurants. You don't absolutely need to have a rental car to enjoy the area for a few days.

The staff is VERY friendly and accommodating. The room service was timely, but comes from the restaurant - a bit pricey just for a snack. Wine selection is good.

The bar is not hot and happening, but a good place to meet other people staying at the property - a mix of Europeans and Americans, and even a few locals.

2  Thank crazytravelernyc
Reviewed June 2, 2007

This was one of, if not the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. We actually left early. The hotel has a nice location one block away from but not on the beach. It is close to other hotels and stores. Odd balla nnoying but friendly staff. This hotel though was so incredibly dirty! The carpet through out was worse than a downtown Vegas hotel. It was stained, it smelled and eben though I heard the maids vacuuming I still saw physical dirt and bathroom waste in the hallways for several days untouched! Rooms were just as bad! Stained sheets, ripped curtains, leaking windows. The bed was hard and uncomfortable. The room decor was lacking with very cheap furniture and accessories. This hotel was supposedly designed by Todd Oldham? YIKES! I could go on and on.
We stayed becaus eof the ranking on this site and that of tablethotels.com and we were so disappointed and in disbelief that it is actually considered "upscale".
Please consider other hotels for your comfort and money.

4  Thank demikaz
Reviewed May 31, 2007

after looking for a long time for a nice hotel on south beach for approx. $150 a night, I finally chose the Hotel. First the front desk
wasn't able to match the price found on tablethotels.com so I had to find a internet cafe to book my room (they did not even offer me to use the PC available to guests). I had a very good price and the staff manager seemed to be upset about it... but whatever.

Rooms are nice but I was surprised to meet the maid cleaning it in the middle of day, only a few hours after my check-in...

The concierge however is very helpful and booked an airport shuttle for me.

Overall the staff could smile a little more. I had the strange feeling to annoy them -quite unacceptable for a hotel like this.

• Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank cddc
Reviewed May 31, 2007

The rooms are nice, the location is very good and the staff is friendly. We also really enjoyed the complementary breakfast at the outdoor patio (probably saved up at least $25/day for a comparable breakfast). It is a easy walk to the beach (less than 5 minutes) and the complementary beach chairs/umbrella were a plus.

My only real complaint, and this was a big one for me, is that the room we had was very noisy. I have to believe this is an issue in other rooms since it was noise from within the hotel that bothered us and not noise from the outside. I've stayed at many hotels, some very high end and some that are nothing special, and I have never experienced the noise that we experienced at The Hotel. When people walked in the hallway and would talk, it sounded like they were in our room. We could also hear the people walking in the room above us.

If I'm the only one who experienced this problem, then it may be isolated in very few rooms in which case this Hotel gets a thumbs up. However, if you get a noisy room, don't plan on getting a good night sleep.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple