“Good for your money”

The Hotel of South Beach
Ranked #20 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed April 13, 2007

Perfect location, AWESOME pool, and cute room. Pricing was great compared to other hotels in the area. The room is a little bit on the smaller side. The staff was friendly for the most part with a couple of rude staffers mixed in. I would stay there again and recommend the hotel to my friends. Just don't expect the Ritz.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with friends
3  Thank TubbyTankers

Reviewed April 9, 2007

The hotel is beautiful, and in the perfect location close to everything. The staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. My travel plans were ruined due to a family emergency back home, so unfortunately I could not stay as long as I would have liked. But the staff were so great, I cannot wait to get back.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Megan_K
Reviewed April 9, 2007

2 Aussies on our way home from the Cricket World Cup in the Caribbean and decided to have a few nights in South Beach.
What a great little hotel. Supurb service, food, bar tender at the pool, and perfect views from the rootop pool (where you feel you can escape the crowds and noise of Sth Beach).

Will definitely recommend to other friends and travellers.

Stayed: April 2007
4  Thank paddles119
Reviewed April 7, 2007

My husband and I stayed at The Hotel for one night on our way from Key West. The hotel staff was very friendly but the room was not ready and there was a problem with noise after 11:00 PM. The management was responsive but unfortunately we will not stay in this hotel in the future. WISH restaurant is excellent. This hotel is not child friendly; need to be hip, young, and cool!

Stayed: April 2007
Reviewed April 5, 2007

I booked a Trading Spaces "deal" at The Hotel for the last Saturday and Sunday nights in February on their website. Athough that type of booking seems to usually produce a smaller interior room with frosted windows, such as some reviewers have mentioned, I asked for a nice room for my first SoBe stay, and was told that we were being upgraded to a larger room with a much bigger bathroom than most, overlooking Collins Avenue, on the second floor.

While my daughter and I had no difficulty whatsoever with noise from adjacent rooms nor from the street, the elevator, which was across the hall from our room, beeped two times whenever it stopped on the floor. All night long! We were told that the beeps are required by city ordinance for potential blind patrons. Go figure. That was the prime negative during our stay. Seems they should be able to turn it off overnight.

That said, the Todd Oldham-designed room was delightful! There were so many placements of shelves, tables, lighting fixtures, an ottoman, and tub accoutrements which were brainstormed by a master. I marveled at the liveable design. Particularly for such a cozy space. Purely functional. I especially liked the spacious window seat with cushions overlooking Collins, with both a blind and block out shade.

Across from the bathroom in the foyer was a large desk and chair with a mirror that doubled as a vanity. Accessible wall outlets for hair appliances were great too. The king bed was comfy enough, and the entertainment center in which the TV was housed was standard. Along the wall opposite the bed was a narrow shelf under a mirror which held all our cosmetics and containers quite nicely. A TV tray style table and ottoman became our WiFi center for my laptop. WiFi is complimentary, and there are also two antiquated PCs and a printer in a little room across from the gift shop which are OK for email checks. A full length mirror on one side of the bed was great for dressing for our nights out. Yes, the decor and linens and pillows are a bit worn, but the ambience of yellow, blue and green hues is still soothing. No stains on our carpet. The tye died cotton bathrobes are perfect for the warmer climate, and I almost bought one in the small giftshop, where they also sell the pillows and some other Oldham-inspired merchandise.

The bathroom rain shower was splendid, with a huge tub and wire racks, as well as interior shelving for sundries. A clear shower curtain added to the space. The lighting was a bit subdued for applying make-up, but the make-up mirror was great, just that it didn't light up. No exhaust fan for the steamy shower though, so it got a bit humid in the bath.

The rooftop pool is tiny but sleek (a little over one lane by maybe 5 yards with a jacuzzi on one end) surrounded by very comfortable chaises with side tables, and a few round tables and chairs, overlooking the Atlantic Ocean and palm trees. The bar also offers lunch, so you don't even have to leave. The fitness center overlooks the pool area and is ample thought tight. My elliptical machine had a decent view of the ocean. Water from a jug and towels are supplied. The rooftop bar is lively at night, but only open Thursday through Saturday during our stay. A private birthday party took up much of the roof on Saturday evening, but the guest of honor and I struck up a conversation, and I felt part of the gathering. The view and ambience are great.

We went to B.E.D. for dinner one night and to Wish at The Hotel the next. Both were wonderful, with B.E.D.'s setee/pillow relaxed dining atmosphere turning into a club at midnight. John the concierge is superb at making reservations, and he arranged The Hotel's 10% discount at Lancome across the street for manicures and pedicures. Nice guy, as are all The Hotel staff. Maids were efficient and thorough, and bell hops were quick to please.

The News Cafe down around the corner at 8th on Ocean is a great place to pick up papers and periodicals, as well as to dine. Great breakfast fare, as well as daylong dining and appetizers and drinks. We stopped there several times during our stay. We tried the free beach chaises the first afternoon, but the walk over and option of the pool deck in The Hotel made the walk less attractive. Plus, coming from the Caribbean on my way to SoBe, South Beach was a bit pedestrian for my tastes.

The best shopping in the area is within two blocks of The Hotel. Loews Hotel, about 8 blocks north on Ocean, is a megacomplex worth the walk. See the Versace Mansion turned into a private upscale club on the way. Nice giftshops at Loews, with upscale fashion and gift items. Might want to stay there next time for the grand scale feel, though it is somewhat overrun with the convention types.

Oh, and the sister Park Central Hotel on Ocean a few blocks south offers free movies and snacks on Sunday nights, which was a fun diversion between dinner and the nightlife scene.

We were alllowed a bit of a late checkout, and if we had needed to stay longer, there is a shower and dressing area up near the pool for those with late flights. All in all, our stay at The Hotel was nice, except for sleep deprivation resultant from the ridiculous beeping of the elevator to announce its arrival at each floor all night long!

Stayed: February 2007
3  Thank DC_World_Traveler
Reviewed March 28, 2007

My wife and I recently stayed here for 1 night while visiting South Beach. Based on TripAdvisor reviews, location and price, we decided to stay at The Hotel. Here are some thoughts on the hotel that I think are worth mentioning.

Pros:
1) The location is indeed good- a block from the beach, and walking distance to most things you would want to do in SoBe.

2) Service was mostly above average. We had some requests post-checkout that were happily met, which helped us a lot. There was a bit of a language barrier with some of the bellmen but nothing major.

Cons:
1) The rooms are not what I expected, even given the price point. They are very small and furnished with what look like Target clearance items. The bed/linens were downright awful, as was the bathroom. Multiple chunks missing out of the carpet, stains on the carpet/nightstands... simply a bit run down looking. The worst thing by far though was the noise factor. I'm not speaking of outside noise, which has to be expected in any hotel here other than the high rises. The noise from our neighbors both upstairs and on both sides was simply unbelievable. Picture staying in a 200 year old farmhouse with creaky floors and the thinnest of paper thin walls, and you've got it. Every step taken in the room above us was a loud creak... and unfortunately for us that was nonstop well into the night. Conversations from all directions were easily heard, toilets flushed sounded like they were coming from our room, etc.

We used this hotel as a base and spent little time there, and so this review is perhaps a little short sighted. But, the problems we experienced wouldn't have gotten better unless there were fewer people staying- not ok. If you're like us- you want a base in South Beach to retreat to after fun days and nights, I would look into a hotel with higher floors, better soundproofing, and less 'hip' to lower the odds of having your neighbors partying without care at all hours of the night. And this is coming from 2 people in their late 20s who love to have a good time!

As a side note, the beach is one of the best I've ever been to- absolutely gorgeous.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank CBC123
Reviewed March 21, 2007

We stayed at the hotel for 4 nights and it was great - september is an off-season time in miami so things were a bit quieter on the beach which was actually nice. The hotel provides free towels, umbrellas and beach chairs, a huge plus!
The hotel decor is warm and comfortable and the rooms were nice but small.
The only downside to the room is it's very thin, non-soundproofed walls. You could hear the elevator doors all night, people laughing in rooms that were not even next door to us and maids way down the hall, early in the morning. I'm a very light sleeper so that bothered me more than my husband, but sound sleepers will have no problem.
The restaurant "wish" is good, but a word of warning, though, skip the breakfast there!!! way over priced and nothing to write home about. (go to the pelican, around the corner, for a fabulous breakfast!) Dinner is another story - they offered a great prix fixe deal and it was well worth making the reservation for it.
And of course, you can't beat the location - smack in the center of south beach!!

5  Thank Granada28