“Wonderful!!!”

The Hotel of South Beach
Ranked #19 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed August 18, 2006

My boyfriend and I arrived in Miami mid-August for a 4 night stay. We were upgraded to a better room after the room we were assigned had a very smoky smell. Our room was great, with a great view....room 324. The rooftop pool was our daily hangout, we loved it!! Never too crowded, we always got good ocean-view chairs. The frozen mojitos are great too. Just a tip...if you will be traveling between now and Sept.30, check out [--]. It is a promotion called Miami Spice...a lot of the VERY high-end restaurants are participating...you pay $30.06 for a 3 course meal. The website will tell you which restaurants are participating and on which days, as well as the menus! We went all 4 nights. I would highly recommend Blue Door at Delano, Mark's South Beach at Hotel Nash, and Tamara at the National. They were all WONDERFUL! Only negative to my stay: the housekeeping staff were often VERY loud in the hallways early in the mornings, I just thought they could have been a little more considerate of the guests. I should have reported this, but never did. Would not keep me from staying here again though, we are planning to return for New Years!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank scgirl1
Write a ReviewReviews (1,801)

Reviewed August 3, 2006

After reading some great reviews on this site I booked "The Hotel" on South Beach and stayed for four nights. Let's start with the good:

Lobby and restaurant are very nice. As you walk up to the hotel you'll see a nice patio/lounge area where people can chill and drink some Mojitos. The staff was very friendly, lobby staff, and house keeping. They clean the rooms daily and even turn down the beds during the evening hours. Bathroom was OK, a little small. They do keep it stocked with soaps and towels. The pool area is very nice with an ocean view. It was not too crowded when I was there. You can usually get a chair any time. There is a small bar by the Pool for mixed drinks/beers. One woman even went topless, but kept it some what concealed.

The Bad: Noise! I was warned by some of the reviews about how bad the noise is from other rooms but this was BAD! You can hear even soft conversations coming from surrounding rooms. I was woken up in the middle of the night on all four nights by people coming home from bars or whatever. One night was really bad as some woman was yelling for hours and it sounded like she was in my bathroom. Woke up early on my last night to hear some dude puking in the adjacent room. That was a nice wake up. So, bring EAR PLUGS if you stay here. Also, the pool was very small. Think kids waiting pool or a large spa. Still was OK despite the size. Yes, the hotel is old but so are most of the hotels in South Beach. Overall I wouldn't stay here again due to the noise but it will be fine for partiers or newly weds who are heavy sleepers. The last few reviews make this place sound like paradise so read further down for more info and you can make a more informed decision.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9  Thank Chris Y
Reviewed July 29, 2006

this hotel is rated top three on trip advisor and this was how i selected it for our two night stay on miami beach!
We visited south beach last december and stayed in the doubletree on south beach,which was very nice and situated great for south beach but expensive to stay at and staff werent particulary nice.So checked out trip advisor and found The Hotel 801 collins ave.. we stayed 19th july till 21st staff were lovely very friendly and couldnt do enough for you!rooms are small as other people have said, but perfectly decorated you can tell it has been designed by a designer.. The shower is great and and the tolietarys are provided from the white collection from london very nice.the maids come round twice a day in the evening time to fold down your bedding and leave a chocolate for you.a small cd player is also provided along with the tv...
we only visited the roof top pool great view,once quite posey that was my only concern...
we didnt eat at the restaurant even though it is world renowned.. but expensive.. great place to stay as it is an art deco hotel ( originally the Tiffany hotel) with the original tiffany sign on the roof.
5 mins at most down onto the beach itself..
about 15 mins down collins or the agacent washington road to lincoln road for the exciting mall and eating area on lincoln road great pizza from pizza raustic very nice. and the spanish eating area on washington ave very nice breakfasts mmmm!!!
the parking for the hotel is either you can pay $11 for daily parking or $25 for daily valet.

Stayed: July 2006
3  Thank stephaniebubba
Reviewed July 21, 2006

Just stayed at The Hotel. I can't say enough about this hotel. Great little boutique hotel close to all the attractions (beach, shopping, cafes, restaurants, bars etc.), yet set apart from the chaos that is South Beach.

Pros
- location - 1 block/2 min walk to beach; on collins with all the action. Only a short walk to most attractions.
- $10 self parking at a large lot 1 block away on 7th and Collins (never had problem finding a space), can also pay for valet.
- beach service: beach towels provided, along with cushioned beach chairs and umbrellas.
- larger room (at least the one we stayed in) than some south beach hotels. **make sure to ask for a non-collins st side room, as its much more quiet.**
- not your typical room decor (stylish, but simple - though it is starting to show its age in a (very) few spots)
- friendly staff - John is a very helpful concierge (beautiful flowers, thanks!)
- great restaurant Wish (expensive, but romantic)
- Pool at top, with chairs, bar and a great little view of palm trees & beach (you can also see the top of the buildings, so the view is only ok).
- Great drink - Mojitini is great on a hot day or night.
- comfortable bed.
- room service - twice daily room service, chocolate at night, will bring ice if requested.
- daily newspaper delivered to your room door (got Miami times, but I understand you can request other major papers).

Cons:
- elevator is incredibly slow (take the stairs - one on the right as you enter the hotel)
- not sound proof room (but not the worst I've been in)
- no alarm clock (can get wake up call)
- no coffee maker in room (can get room service or walk a short block to couple cafes)
- little expensive if you pay regular rates (fortunately there are deals to be had).
- breakfast only included if you get it in your package (but there are several cafes nearby)

Overall I would definately stay here again the next time I hit South Beach. Compared some many of the other boutique hotels in the South Beach area that we saw, this looked like one of the nicest (but not pretentious).

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Nate C
Dallas, TX
Reviewed July 5, 2006

Believe what you hear about The Hotel of South Beach! It's a great choice. Never visiting Miami before and having no clue where to stay without spending a fortune, I relied on online reviews, which can be hit or miss. Everything everyone people said about The Hotel was right on - It's a cute little boutique hotel on the corner of 7th and Collins, just a block from 8th and Ocean Drive where all the action is. The hotel is small, but very modernly designed, has friendly staff and very clean accomodations (and if you've ever been to South Beach, you know that some places look down-right scary). The rooms were small, but had a very comfortable bed, two lit hanging closets, tons of mirrors, a window seat, and a super cute bathroom, complete with rainhead shower and tie-dye bathrobes. The pool is adorable and has a great view, and the Spire bar has the most comfortable couches and the best mojito in town. A must-have is the mojito-tini, which is a frozen mojito that is to die for. They even serve them with glowing ice cubes that are yours to keep. I had one of the best massages I've ever had by Gabrielle under the cabana on the rooftop pool and John, the concierge, was more than helpful both before our stay and during. There were even a few photo-shoots at the pool while we were there - One (to my boyfriend's delight) that happened to be a perfectly toned supermodel in a bikini :-)

Be sure to try Nemo's for brunch - It was $30/person but was the most fantastic spread I've ever seen in my life. Sushi Samba was great for sushi, although we were told twice by locals (after the fact) that the best sushi was in the Townhouse Hotel and was moderately priced. Also had a good meal at Cafe Milano on Ocean Drive. NewsCafe is fun for the people watching, but the food is just so-so. Be sure to walk down by the Ritz Carlton (check out the pool and have a drink at the bar), Shore Club (fabulous in back w/Nobu and Skybar), Setai, and the Delano (have a drink at the Rose Bar). We ate at Wish at the hotel after hearing the raves from all the reviews. Don't get me wrong, it was good - But I've had better for the price. Try the PB & Jay if you just want to stop in for dessert. Very unique and super tasty!

Unfortunately for us, it rained three days of our four day stay, but we still had a good time. Just remember that South Beach is expensive, whether the food is good, bad, fancy or not. And 18% gratuity is automatically added everywhere you go no matter what. If I didn't want to spend all my money on my hotel, I would most definitely stay at The Hotel again and would recommend it to anyone. Have fun!!!

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Boynton Beach, LF
Reviewed June 25, 2006

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary which was a surprise to him. We were greeted at the door by name and our room was fantastic with fresh exotic flowers, champagne and chocolates on the bed. He was astonished and so was I. I called and indicated that I wanted something special for our anniversary and they outdid themselves. The concierge was wonderful and literally ready to help with whatever they could. And the bartenders - Oh my goodness they were great. Dani - the lady at the front desk I will never forget for being so personable and making it all come together. We will definitely be back....very soon! "Thank you" to the entire Staff for making our trip the most romantic ever!

• Stayed: June 2004
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed June 19, 2006

This Hotel is if not "THE BEST" (and I only say that because I have not experienced them all) certainly one of the best Hotels on South Beach and it is important to mention that my search for the perfect South Beach Hotel ends here.

The Hotel lacks nothing... it is small enough to be very intimate and big enough to offer everything you might want from a Hotel. From the Gourmet Restaurant, Wish, to the Roof Top "Spire Bar" overlooking Downtown Miami, and the prized Rooftop Pool overlooking the Beach The Hotel is overflowing with exclusives found at no other South Beach Hotel.

The superb staff provides that very individual high level attention only the worlds best can provide in such a seemingly effortless way. You will feel like all of your wishes are almost anticipated and the staff seems to be there whenever you may have a need. The Hotel Desk Manager, Yurki, and the Hotel Restaurant Manager, Joe, have become "friends" through the superb and very personal attention they have given us.

The Rooms (designed by Todd Oldham) are by every definition "Designer Rooms". The Decor and the feel is superb. Especially the large window nook, perfect super comfortable lounging for two, while you enjoy the hustle and bustle of South Beach below. The beds are super comfortable and you'll sleep like a baby, even on your first night.

I give "The Hotel of South Beach" five Stars.

18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member