“A gem in the middle of it all!”

The Hotel of South Beach
Ranked #17 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed February 22, 2009

This is my 5th time staying in "The Hotel" and I still think it is a hidden gem. The same staff has been there for each visit. That says a lot.! The staff is very concerned about your stay and seem to enjoy working there. The rooms are small and maybe a little worn, but they keep them clean and in good condition. The food at the restaurant is good and the atmosphere is great. The pool and pool bar are great fun and the mojitos are some of the best in the city! The view from the pool is fantastic. You are in the middle of great shopping and the famous News Cafe is right behind the hotel.
I have learned which rooms are quieter, but I will tell you that most rooms in South Beach are a little noisy. These are not new hotels and were not built with the insulation etc. that the hotels now are built with. Take something to sleep, put earplugs in and enjoy where you are!
This is not a super luxury hotel, but it is one of the best deals in South Beach. We love it!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank anzchick
Write a ReviewReviews (1,820)

Reviewed February 7, 2009

The only thing positive which we can say about this hotel is that the staff is very friendly and that the rooftop is quite nice, although the pool is small.
We arrived at the hotel and were given a room in which the noise level was unbearable. We could not elaborate from where the noise came and therefore asked at the reception, whether this would only be a problem during the day or whether the noise would continue at night. As they did not know, they gave us a new room. This one was quieter, however, also much smaller. In spite of booking a room with king bed, we only received a queen bed but preferred this to a noisy room. The bathroom in this room was so small that you could hardly turn round, in fact, someone with weight problems would not even be able to get into the bathroom. Then, after flushing the toilet, it broke and flooded the whole bathroom, luckily only with clean water, but still...
Finally, I cannot understand why they call themselves a design hotel. The Hotel has is terribly decorated and there is really nothing design about it. Maybe this style was fashionable in the 80ies, or so.
In any case, this hotel is much too expensive for what they offer and I really do not recommend anyone to stay here!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Karin O
Reviewed January 12, 2009

Could not fault the hotel at all. Everything from the food to the staff to the location is superb.

The rooftop pool is fantastic and the service is excellent without being overly attentive.

Everything we required, from restaurant recommendations to needing to store luggage as we were heading on a cruise to transport were no problem to teh extremely friendly staff.

Although it's teh only hotel I've stayed at in South Beach I cab gaurantee that you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Holmesey
Reviewed January 10, 2009

It was our 4th time at The Hotel in the last 5 years. Great locale, great pool on the roof and close to all. The room's are good, but could use a bit of an update now. We still look forward to going back next Dec though. The staff are excellent, and it's interesting that we've seen the same folks there for 5 years. No changes. Wish Restaurant is great. Great ambiance, service, food. Also hit Grazie for good Italian, Espanola Way for Mexican. Okay chow on Ocean. It's a hassle to walk it at night, but you gotta do it. We travel 3-4 times a year, stay at 4-5 stars mainly and are comfotable in boutiques or large hotels. Don't expect super luxury, but The Hotel deserves its rating and is a comfortable place to stay. The rooftop pool makes it. I'd recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2008
1  Thank PadeeO
Reviewed January 10, 2009

Booked the room well in advance in anticipation of the Nittany Lions getting to the BCS College Football game but they didn't make it. Have business in the area so didn't change plans. The Hotel is situated perfectly to take advantage of all the activities in South Beach. Just one block off the beach, it's actually better than the hotels right on the beach because you're just removed from the crowd and the noise but within 30 seconds of being in the middle of it if you choose. Staff was incredibly service oriented and happy to help anytime asked. The front desk individual greeted me by name the second time he saw me which was the second day of my stay. The Hotel is a beautifully restored Art Deco property. Impeccable attention to detail. The room was spotless. Remember this is a boutique hotel so the rooms are small but if you're spending much time in your room why go to South Beach! The beach is simply the best and you are provided with chairs and umbrella's at no charge offered by a beach service on the beach just between 8th and 9th street(4 minute walk away). As I was leaving the maintenance crew were scrubbing the awnings around the front...they didn't even look like they needed to but that's how meticulous the property is maintained. If you're looking for a non-resort style stay in South Beach I can't imagine a better choice! Noted that the valet parking was a little bit of a hastle so expect to wait 10-15 minutes to get your car...

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank Nitliontex
Reviewed December 21, 2008

We stayed at The Hotel between our Honeymoon cruise and our flight home. This is definitely not a quiet retreat, but it was a fun place to stay.

The location is superb, and we were easily able to blow what we didn't spend on the honeymoon at the nearby shops. (not that you have to spend money, but its like south beach is willing you to)

The Hotel stay includes lounge chairs and an umbrella at the beach, you just have to tell the attendants at the beach stand your name and where you're staying. We took full advantage of it, and I was loving it! We did not try out the roof-top pool, but did take a walk up there. It is small but has a sweet view of the beach and a bar. (caution families: topless sunbathing)

The room itself was somewhat small, but the furninshings were hip and fun. I was in love with the custom tiles, ribbon detailed pillows, and tie-dyed bathrobes.

The biggest negative is how loud the rooms are. The room next door sounded like there was literally a parrty going on. We didn't mind it, since we were honeymooners, but I wouldn't recommend it for a relaxing vacation!

Oh, and the restaurant attached to The Hotel is supposedly fabulous, but I refused to eat there because they has foie gras on the advertised menu... However; we stopped in the bar after we had dinner elsewhere and it was INCREDIBLE. My husband had some beautiful whiskey and I had the best martini I've ever had (I think it was ginger lemongrass?). Sorry vegans, I jumped ship 2 years ago.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lets_go_stillers
Reviewed December 1, 2008

We booked one of the "nicer" rooms, which in quality was suppposed to be between the penthouse and basic. Price was expensive for what we experienced, but Miami Beach hotels are stupidly expensive and yet relatively substandard, in my experience over 3 years of visiting.

Our first impression upon arriving was the guard who rushed out to our car at the curb and told us to move our car immediately after checking in! We checked in and were told that parking was 2 blocks away and would cost more than $15 a day. The room was small but stylishly appointed, in a quirky and edgy way; my girlfriend really liked it (but she's from England). We stayed in the room the first evening and at bed time suddenly noticed there were no pillow cases on the pillows, and that the pillows were actually cushions. It wasn't until the next evening, when the maids knocked on our door, that we realized that these cushions were to be covered by pillow cases in the evening by these maids. "Why didn't they tell us the first night?" we wondered.

We stayed 4 days and each and every morning, the garbage truck would roll down the nearby alley at 7 am and spend a good 15 minutes grinding noisily. Then at around 8 am, we were again awakened EACH MORNING by the chronically yakking restaurant help outside our window! I took a picture on last morning, and it shows about 7 of them congregating below our 3rd floor window, smoking and yelling to each other.

On the other hand, the restaurant in the hotel was fine, and the maitre'd was very helpful. When they couldn't provide the soup listed on the menu (on two separate visits on different days), she suggested a nearby Indian restaurant, which was marvelous, and the waiter did not charge us for our bottle of water which we ordered before they realized there was no soup.

Don't expect any view of the ocean and you won't be disappointed by the chance view of the distant water a block away and beyond the buildings.

The hotel management seemed piqued that I did not want the valet parking, therefore my new English girlfriend eyed me as a cheapskate.

Workout room was tiny but could have been useful to someone dedicated. We did not try the pool.

Bathroom was adequate, especially by the ridiculous, third-world standards typical of Miami Beach nowadays.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple