“Simple but great hotel”

Ranked #21 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Jackson, New Jersey
“Simple but great hotel”
Reviewed April 14, 2014

This hotel is a great option in South Beach.

Pros:
Cost is very reasonable
Great service from all employees
Great Location on Collins
1 block from beach with reserved chairs
Great Rooftop pool deck
Quiet
Free Welcome cocktail

Cons:
Lack of outlets in rooms
Small rooms and even smaller bathroom
Lighting was not great at night in room
Amenities are not extensive (yet adequate)

In my opinion, the pros outweigh the cons.

Room Tip: 3rd floor was quiet
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank mjimenez713
Goldman P, Manager at The Hotel of South Beach, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
We appreciate your time in writing this review. Thank you.
And invite you to come back to The Hotel of South Beach as a Goldcard Member. All you have to do is enroll in our website and give us a call or email us for a reservation. (reservations@goldmanproperties.com)
We will make sure all the advantages are listed on your reservation, as Continental Breakfast, comp upgrade upon availability, 10% Food and beverage... and more. Our rooms on the newer building on Ocean Drive have apprx 300 sq ft + with very spacious bathrooms or our Suites in the main building, with a separate living room area adjacent to the room itself. All with King size beds.
Either way I'm sure you will have a great stay again!!
Please let us know if any questions..

Have an amazing day.

Nara Azevedo - Sales Manager - The Hotel of South Beach - naraa@goldmanproperties.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
Reviewed April 13, 2014

This is an excellent hotel for a short stay, is in our opinion a great summon up for this hotel.

We stayed for two nights as a pre cruise South Beach stay, as many other reviews here state, the hotel is a bit dated, this makes that there sound insulation is also a bit of a problem, which is why I would not recommend this hotel for an extended stay, however for a short 2-4 day stay this just and excellent hotel!
*The hotel is part of the of Miami historical preservation, this is probably the issue why they cant just brake out the walls and change a lot to update the overall insulation.

The staff are wonderful, always friendly and ready to help, saying hello for far away, jumping in when they see you have a problem or a question and always asking if they can help in any way. And as plus for us, not holding out there hand for tips (we had different experiences on prior visits to the USA), we even had to call some back in the room because they disappeared before we got our money out :), as a European, nit custom to the tipping policy's in the USA this was a nice add on.

the rooms are spacious and clean, we did have an ant problem in the bathroom, but we just see it as a consequence of the older building, the cleaning staff did properly clean up those little critters every time they passed by, what more can they do?
We where next to the elevators and that did make noise during the night, also you could clearly hear the people speak in the corridors...However for a short stay and being in the lively part of South Beach we did not really care, we knew in advance we would not be getting a lot of sleep.

Included internet and free welcome drink is just great, we loved the pool on the roof, a great chill out place after being at the busy beach side.
We also had breakfast at the hotel and here to we can not complain one bit, bit pricy but than everything is at South Beach.

Again, looking for a short stay, pre cruise or other, you cant go wrong with this hotel!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
We definitely appreciate your time in writing this review!
Our staff thanks you for the kind words.. We are here for our guests and making them have unforgettable moments, that's our number one priority.
As you had mentioned, we are located in the heart of the Art Deco district representing a true historical hotel. 15 minutes away from the port of Miami, making this a great location for pre and post cruise stays. I hope your cruise was a fantastic one!
We hope to see you again, and perhaps on your future stay, have you experience our new building on Ocean Drive. The rooms are also beautiful and designed by Todd Oldham. Ocean Fronts with a balcony and a breathtaking ocean views...

Register as a Gold Card member on our website for many benefits.

Have an amazing day... and once more thank you for staying with us.

Hanover, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 10, 2014

I normally do not write reviews but I find myself relying on them more and more when I book my own travel, so I thought it was time that I start sharing my experiences. My husband and I stopped at this hotel for 2 nights before we got on a cruise ship. Although the hotel is old it is still clean and nicely maintained. I appreciate the service we received, from taking our bags up to our room, free beverage and the beautiful outside area. I am not a smoker so I appreciate that the hotel makes sure to keep the outdoor smoking areas very clean and free of debris. We used the concierge desk to recommend a nice restaurant for dinner and it was excellent. The only reason that I did not rate this a 5 star experience was the fact that the hotel did try to up sell me to a suite when I checked in. I thought that was cheesy and if I wanted the suite I would have paid the suite price. The standard hotel room was nice and the bed was comfortable with fresh white linens. A must for me when I stay at a hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you Lisa for your review. We are glad you had a good time with us.
We apologize if it made you feel uncomfortable that our front office staff offered you an upgrade fee for our suites.. Usually, depending on our availability, we are able to offer a last minute deal, that wouldn't have been available prior when booking... : )
But as you had mentioned, all our rooms are very nice, and with the roof top pool staring straight out to the ocean, The Hotel of South Beach makes the perfect hotel to stay at.

Hope to see you back soon.

Please contact us directly (reservations@goldmanproperties.com) with any questions or requests.

Have a great day!

New Brunswick, New Jersey
Reviewed April 10, 2014

This hotel is in excellent location on Collins Street, right in the midst of the vibrant action of South Beach. The staff were gracious and helpful, and keen to make the stay a pleasant and memorable one. Check in was efficient. Lobby area is open and spacious. Like many buildings that surround it, it is art deco style, contemporary and light-filled. My room was on the second floor. It was relatively small, with quirky colorful fittings. It looked out to Collins Street. I wasn’t convinced that the room was cleaned thoroughly: garbage had not been removed from small trash can in room; a couple of aged carpet stains need attention. Internet was included, but it was variable, dropping out from time to time and relatively slow. Street noise was OK, perhaps this was because it was a quieter Sunday night. Overall, the room was expensive, and quality was not value for money

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room - you may be lucky
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
London, UK
Reviewed April 10, 2014

I was on a one night stop over in Miami (unplanned) and a friend recommended this hotel. The location is great, on Collins Avenue, parallel street to the beach, with lots of shops, restaurants and bars.
The hotel itself has a roof pool, which I looked at but didn't use as by the time I got there (8pm) it was already closed. My room, although big, was incredibly noisy: noise from the streets and what I assume was an air conditioning unit underneath the room. All night my bed was periodically shaking and I couldn't get any sleep. I mentioned this to the staff the next morning and they kindly offered me a discount on my stay, but make sure you ask for a room higher up. The room itself was quite dated. I have high standards re: cleanness and in my opinion it was not well cleaned, particularly the bathroom. For the cost, I would recommend finding somewhere else to stay.
The only good thing was very friendly service.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank nt7169
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed April 9, 2014

I'm very conflicted in writing this review. First off, ALL of the staff we met here were super friendly and super nice and really went out of their way to make our stay great. BUT, the reason for the poor review is the management.

I booked two rooms, one for my family and one for my parents. We arrived Sunday in the afternoon and everything was pleasant. We went out around 5pm, and felt something was amiss...couldn't really put our finger on it, but basically we saw prostitutes outside. Not thinking much of it, we ventured out around 830pm and right outside the hotel a man was walking towards us holding his eye, like he just got into a fight. Normally, I wouldn't care about it, but I was pushing my 2 year old in a stroller and that's not the kind of situation I want to be in.

We felt very uncomfortable and expressed this to the management. We indicated we would like to stay the night, but on our second night, we'd like to check out and change hotels. After going through booking.com twice, both times Mr. Lewis indicated that they required a 72 hour notice for cancellation...and they would not make an exception for us. Normally, coughing up one night hotel would be fine, but we had two rooms to forfeit, at a cost of over $600!

Anyway, we decided to make the best of the situation and walked down Collins Avenue and I kid you not, ambulances and firetrucks zoomed by because A MAN JUST GOT SHOT in the stomach down the street. This basically confirmed our gut feeling that something just wasn't right about the location.

Putting that aside, we trooped through our hesitation with the place and noticed that during the day, it was perfectly ok, full of tourists. Perhaps it was just that particular night and perhaps this hotel is near bars/restaurants that attract a certain type of clientele.

The pool was great, the waiter by the pool was great. One complaint, like all others here, is that there is absolutely no sound-proofing in the rooms. We heard every footstep above us and every single conversation outside our door. It was like our room had no door.

If you book a normal room, it is the size of a closet. We were lucky in room 224 that it was HUGE, and it was. My parents room was so small they paid extra and moved to another building (not attached to the main hotel) and it was super quiet.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a bigger room b/c you will need it!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank bellakaye
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Service-outstanding. Several offers for help, whether it was luggage, maps of the area, recommendations of where to eat, luggage storage, etc. We arrived very early from a cruise, and they were willing to phone/text/email when the first available room occured.

Location-best best best part. A few blocks from the beach, where you have complementary beach chairs with padding and towels. Umbrella is an extra $15 charge. TIP-bring your own food to the beach (plenty of option in the neighborhood). Only overpriced, but decent wraps available on the beach. Ocean Drive is a block away - close to the action, not the noise. Collins (where the hotel is) is great for shopping and art deco architechture. Lincoln is a few blocks away - funky restaurants, shops, grab and go pizza, Cuban, etc. Very easy and safe to walk around. HUGE PLUS.

Rooms/Hotel - beautifully decorated. Bathroom surprisingly poorly lit? Lovely bathrobes. Decent space for luggage. Beds very comfortable. No view or balcony in standard room. Lobby is very pretty (and air con!). Elavator is increadibly slow - but it is an old hotel. Be patient. Pool is exactly as it looks in the photos-towels provided. Breakfast menu is pricy, but lunch is affordable for the area. Complementary drink each a very welcome and nice touch.

BUT....

TERRIBLE sleep quality. My husband's a light sleeper, and you can literally hear every noise in the hallways, even people being respectful and quiet. Conversation sounds like they are next to you in bed. I'm a heavy sleeper, and usually sleep through most nights - here, I was up 5-7 times because of how poorly sound insulated the hotel was...and we were even decently away from elavators. Sadly, this MAJOR issue will likely prevent us from returning to a hotel we generally adored otherwise. Perhaps if you bring earplugs and are a very heavy sleeper, you'll have a better experience.

Room Tip: Away from the elevators.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple