“Not Cheap and Not Boutique”

The Hotel of South Beach
Ranked #20 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed February 1, 2014

This is not a top of the line boutique hotel, it isn't located in the heart of South Beach but it's priced like it is. Everyone is friendly but this is a third option not #1 or #2. Rooms are small, A/C thermostat needed replacement but I did get my wake up call on time.

Room Tip: Look for an alternate hotel and location.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for The Hotel of South Beach

Reviewed January 29, 2014

My husband and I went back and forth on weather to stay at a lasrge hotel ( Ritz,marriott, etc) or a boutique one. A number of people recomended this hotel to us, so i always go with personal referals. We fell in love with it! everyone was so helpful and nice from the front desk to the gentlemen that carried our bags! John ( concierge) especially helped us with dinner reservations, and even a motorcycle rental. Escobar looked out for us each day ( do we need any help) as well as dan, and others i just can't remember everyone's names...lol we stayed on ocean drive which was beautiful and lively. The pooldeck bar is amazing....seriously can't say enough great things....we will be back!!!

Reviewed January 29, 2014

My girlfriend and i stayed here for 6 nights. And we were blown away from the exellent service and the kindness of the people working there.
On our first trip to the U.S and South Beach we had great expectations. And the expecations were fully forfiled.The people who is working there are so kind and friendly. the comfort of the rooms are great. And the rooftop pool are also great. The concierge are always willing to help you out whit resturants and things too do. I will always return too this hotel when im in South beach. I love it there! And truley recomend it!

Reviewed January 28, 2014

My boyfriend and I spent 3 nights at The Hotel in January. I booked it based on the reasonable price in comparison to other South Beach hotels, the fact that they have a pool, and the positive reviews on TripAdvisor. I became slightly nervous when people I spoke to that frequent the area had never heard of it - and the taxi driver at the airport also wasn't familiar and had to be given the exact address. I guess this just speaks to the small size of the hotel and also maybe the name is a little confusing.

The hotel is in a great location, within easy walking distance to the beach, lots of restaurants and shops, nightclubs, and Espanola Way which is a really cool pedestrian area. The staff at the hotel was great. Really nice, friendly, and helpful in every way. I called down for ice a few times and it was always brought up within minutes. The complimentary drink was delicious and we had the pool to ourselves when we went up to get it at the pool bar on Saturday night, so we got to enjoy a lovely swim and a drink. The rooftop pool area is really nice, but small - when we returned the next day it was too crowded for our liking. Just wish it was open 24 hours (it closes at 8, I believe). The concierge was also really nice and helpful and got us an immediate reservation at a packed restaurant on our first night there, which was great.

My only complaints about our stay are as follows:

1. Noise - this was to be expected based on the reviews I read. We were in a deluxe room in the main building, facing Collins. The street noise was noticeable but not what bothered me. What bothered me was the people in the room next door who continually were yelling to each other (or at least it sounded like yelling) and apparently locking themselves out of the room, which lead to them banging on the door for the others to let them in for 5 minutes at a time. This was in addition to the person in the room above us (we were on the 2nd floor) who seemed to be pacing across the room for hours at a time in the middle of the night. I am not exaggerating how loud it was - but it was a weekend so it's understandable, and from what I understand this is to be excepted with these older hotel buildings. I would suggest buying some earplugs - we got some at Walgreens after the first night and they definitely helped.

2. Size of the room - I booked a deluxe room, which according to my online reservation included a king sized bed. What we got was a small room with a queen sized bed, and I initially thought they had accidently mistaken our reservation and given us the standard room. As it turns out, not all the deluxe rooms have king beds, and no rooms with a king bed were available for us. The room was very small. To my knowledge the only other perk of the deluxe room is that there are non-frosted windows which open up 4 inches. It was nice to have the window for people-watching, but there was not too much to see since there is so much construction going on outside on Collins. Overall next time I would not pay more for the deluxe room now that I know the bed and room size that we would end up with.

The only other snag in our trip was when I received the final bill and noticed that our breakfast was included on the hotel invoice when we had actually paid cash for it. The front desk cleared it up and removed the charge from our bill before we checked out, so it was handled quickly and easily. As a sidenote to this, we only ate one meal at the hotel restaurant, which was the breakfast on our first morning there. It was fine, but quite expensive and we found smaller cafes right down the street where we were able to get the same level of food/service for much cheaper. The News Café on Ocean Drive was great - we had a delicious lunch there and a late-night dessert (it's open 24 hrs). Definitely food of a higher quality than some of the other cafes on Ocean Drive.

1  Thank Jamiero33804
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Overall a very nice stay.. The very good…. 1) location, can't beat it, central, walkable, yet just removed enough from Ocean Drive to snag some quiet 2) staff, they make the effort and are connected 3) pool deck, great views, relaxing… The "just" good….room decor and condition nearing the need for a makeover, slide drawers that won't stay closed, shower floor patched over… still, overall, the hotel is tidy and well maintained. With some buffing could be an "excellent".

Room Tip: Second and third floors facing courtyard/patio green removes it somewhat from the street. Windows a...
Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

The Hotel has the friendliest staff that I have ever seen! They are always helpful and friendly. It's rare that every single staff member goes out of their way for the guests, but everyone at The Hotel is a notch above! We stayed in the Atelier room, and it was extremely spacious! We were in the Ocean Drive building which is above the News Cafe. They also have twice daily room service here which is very nice. The location was perfect! I loved that this was a smaller hotel as well. We also enjoyed that The Hotel had towels and beach chairs at the beach. The people who were at the beach were very nice as well. Truly a wonderful experience!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lela0226
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Our first visit to Miami and we were delighted with our choice of hotel. A fabulous Art Deco design from the 30's, since sympathetically refurbished incorporating the existing design and fittings. If you want to see classic Art Deco light fittings then visit the hotel's bar. The rooms are comfortable, clean and well serviced. The big plus for this hotel are the staff. Everyone is determined your stay is all you want it to be. Efficient, friendly and attentive. Truly a home from home. Concierge Esteban is a legend, who goes the extra yard. Recommendations for restaurants, activities were spot on. We won't stay anywhere else on South Beach in future.

• Stayed: January 2014