1,971 results
All reviewsnews caferooftop poolocean drivesouth beachcouture roomconcierge johnfrozen mojitoart decoperfect locationmain buildingwet williesself parkingpeople watchingrain showerboutique hotelcollins avenuebeach chairs
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Stayed there as part of our honeymoon trip end Sep. Chose ocean view room directly above the news cafe, with terrace - no better location in South Beach. Service was great, staff always friendly, and pre-ordered champagne and flowers were delivered on time and perfectly set up. Room was clean, great design, modern bathroom, shower, and aircon working very well. Vs other reviews I have to say that the room is well isolated, noisy was no problem, despite ocean drive being live 24/7. Rooftop bar is nice in the evening for an aperitive, otherwise not a lot of people there and the restaurant was closed (disappointing as it had been highly recommended). Parking in a paring house close by worked very well - no need for paying the valet parking up charge. Overall, a fantastic week, will come again asap!!

Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank AndiS1972
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I surprised my girlfriend for our 3 year anniversary with a trip to south beach. We are not big party people, so I had to do a lot of research to get that historical touch without having to deal with the spring break vibe. This was exactly that!

First off it's a great price, right in the middle of the pack when you compare it to other hotels in the areas. Second off it was an ideal location (and we took an art deco walking tour so we saw a lot of locations). It was right next door to the best shops in the area which was great for us. It was also very close to the beach and restaurants. Finally we loved it wasn't necessarily around all the party hotels that were making all the noise at night.

The room was perfect, we were in the Couture room and it looks exactly like the pictures on their site. Sometimes they show you a different picture, but I'm telling you it was so spot on I don't even need to post the pictures. It came with a cute window bench facing the courtyard and Kenneth Cole that my g/f loved. The room was a good size for the age of the hotel. It was also very colorful and fun, especially in the bathroom. It also has modern amenities like free WiFi and a flat screen in the room.

The Hotel itself is adorable with that classic white art deco look, but it goes even further. It has a rooftop pool that was amazing. The pool had a bar and when we first got there we were offered a glass of complementary champagne each from the hotel. The pool area has covered cabanas with leather couches that make you feel like a celebrity. The pool was a good size for a rooftop that was good for a quick dip. The best part was at the end of the roof where they put deck chairs so you had a straight shot view of the ocean. On the other side of the roof was the Tiffany sign (the original name of the hotel until they were threatened by the Tiffany's Jewelry co. so they dropped the name Tiffany but already had the sign in place and got permission to leave it.) That spot is great for views of the Miami skyline and the art deco buildings (which look even better at night lite up).

The staff was so great! The bellhop constantly talked to us and remembered things about us that it made us feel so special. Anytime we needed suggestions they were very helpful, especially when it came to making dinner reservations.

The only draw back were the thin hallway walls. The bedroom walls were very thick and kept the noise out. It is a 1930s hotel and if people are loud in the hallway you might hear it. Again we never had large amounts of noise because of how fast people made it to there rooms, but just making sure I tell you everything.

Overall this was the best part of the trip: it was historical, comfortable, centrally located, and helpful. We saw many hotels on our fabulous art deco tour and I'm telling you we would stay there every single time I go to South Beach hands down.

Room Tip: There are a limited number of beach view rooms, but even the other views are peaceful.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Chevy114
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My wife and I booked 5 nights at The Hotel in South Beach in mid-October 2012 for a conference that my wife was attending. We would definitely recommend this hotel to others, especially those in our age group.

This is one of the nicer hotels in the Art Deco district in South Beach, and it was a perfect choice for us. We’re middle-aged (50, 46), and not really into the bar/club scenes. The Miami Beach Convention Center is located about one mile due North of The Hotel. There are some really nice, huge hotels near the convention center, but we were intrigued by the Art Deco district, and since this might be our only trip to this area (we will return to Florida for Dolphins games, but we will stay in the Ft Lauderdale area then), and wanted to experience that. Keep in mind this is a 3-star hotel in a historic district, it’s not fancy, it’s not upscale. Judge accordingly. There are a lot more fancy hotels north of 17th street, but if you want to stay in the Art Deco district, in my opinion this is the best of the bunch. I think many of the negative comments here are from people that were expecting the Ritz, and this ain’t the Ritz, it’s The Hotel, a quaint art deco style boutique hotel in the heart of South Beach. I'm basing my review on this, not comparing it to the fancy resorts farther up the beach.

The South Beach Art Deco area has a simple layout. Ocean Drive overlooks the beach and runs all along the East edge. The next street in is Collins Avenue, and one street in from there is Washington Avenue. You will rarely venture off these three streets in a week stay in South Beach. The Art Deco district runs from about 5th street to the South to about 17th street to the North. There are old, cool art deco style hotels wall-to-wall along Ocean drive, and Collins is similar, but has shopping interspersed along the way. Washington Avenue appears to be where the local shop and eat, as it’s less touristy.

The great thing about the location of The Hotel, it’s right on Collins and 8th Street. You can walk out of the hotel and be on Ocean Drive in a minute. But by being off of Ocean Drive, it’s a quiet location. We had a room on the third floor, overlooking Collins, and had no problems with street noise at all. Staying here entitles you to the use of free beach chairs on the beach every day. You just tell the people at the kiosk on the beach your Hotel and name, and they set up the chairs with padding and towels for you. You can get an umbrella over the chairs for an additional $15/day.

As we were attending a Dolphins game on our second day here, we rented a car at the airport and drove to South Beach. But most people who come here won’t need a car, as most everything you’d want to see is actually within walking distance. Parking is at a premium here, so we parked the car in a parking garage a block South of The Hotel, and paid $20 for overnight parking. After the game, we returned our car to a Thrifty office that was less than a mile walk from The Hotel. That worked out nicely, as we found a place (Finnigan’s on Ocean Drive and about 14th) to eat and watch the afternoon games on the TVs there.
There is a bus (the Local) that only costs a quarter to ride, and runs up Washington and circles the convention center. We had planned to take this bus daily, but ended up walking almost everywhere we went. If you’re in reasonable shape and a mile isn’t too far to walk, I think you’ll end up walking most everywhere too.

Our room (319) was on the 3rd floor, right in the middle of the Collins-facing side. This is the short side of an L-shaped building, and the majority of the rooms either face 8th street (and overlook the patios below) or face an alleyway. It appeared to us that all the rooms would be very quiet, as ours was. I’ve read reviews that say that you can hear people walking above you if you are on the lower floors, and with this being an older building (built in 1939), I’d guess that’s true. All I know is we didn’t experience any noise at all from neighbors below or to the sides of us. The room was very clean, the rain showerhead in the bath was great, and although small and sparsely furnished, it had everything we needed, and plenty of storage. Don’t eat the nuts and jellybeans they leave on the desk – it’s $20 added to your bill if you do (we didn’t eat them, and set the snacks on the TV stand out of the way, and got inadvertently billed for one day – this was taken care of at checkout and deducted, no problem).

Which brings me to the staff. The concierge desk at this hotel is awesome! They are very attentive, and they always make sure to ask if you need help in any way. Let them help you – they arranged for our transportation back to the airport in a big nice van, so we didn’t have to take a cab (for about the same fare). They can also help you find just about anything you need.

The dining at The Hotel is limited to room service, or if you ask the concierge, they will get someone from the restaurant (The Wish) to wait on you. We found out later that the restaurant is temporarily ‘on hold’, as they explore what to do with it. I suspect they don’t get enough business (the competition from the Ocean Drive restaurants is fierce), but that’s okay, because right behind The Hotel, on Ocean Drive, is the News Café, which serves a great breakfast (and other meals too, but we only ate breakfast there during our stay.
Food in South Beach is pricey. Expect to pay $30/plate at most of the restaurants on Ocean Drive. We found a place on 11th and Washington (the 11th Street Diner) that serves breakfast all day, and was half the price of the Ocean Drive places. Ocean Drive is the see-and-be-seen place on South Beach, and the prices reflect that – and you’ll see more Rolls Royces and Ferraris here than you can shake a stick at. If you want to find more reasonable prices for food, head two streets over and explore the places on Washington. Oh, and every place we visited adds anywhere from 15-18% gratuity to the bill automatically (you can add/deduct from it as you wish).

Another place to shop/eat that is really nice and has decent prices, is Lincoln Road. This road runs perpendicular to Ocean/Collins/Washington, and is about 15th street. We wish we would have found this road earlier in our stay, as it is much nicer, cleaner, and has a lot more variety in restaurants. Check out Lincoln Road early in your visit, and you’ll likely find it worth the walk to eat/shop there.

Overall, we really liked The Hotel. It was clean, quiet, and conveniently located. The staff was exceptional from concierge to housekeeping to the front desk (check out was 2 minutes, even with the ‘dispute’ over the snacks on our bill). The roof-top pool is really nice, although the only night we had time to go check it out, we found they close it off at 8:00. It is a great place to lay out in the sun, and has a great view of the beach.

We would definitely recommend this hotel to others seeking to experience the Art Deco district in South Beach, especially those in our age group.

Room Tip: Ask for a room 'away from the noise', most likely you'll be on the top floor.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CoupleOfNuts2
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My parents,wife and I happened to be passing through Miami for the weekend after a trip to the Turks and Caicos. We had never stayed at The Hotel before so were interested to find out about their site and service. From the moment we all arrived to at this very moment at checking out we were made to feel very special and appreciated. David checked us in and was so helpful the entire trip as our concierge with fabulous recommendations on places to exact and visit. The room was very spacious. (we stayed in their cotoure and my parents wee upgraded at no extra cost to an even larger room). The best part of the hotel in our opinion is their fabulous rooftop pool and bar. We spent many hours with a glass of wine relaxing the days away. The location could not be more perfect as you are one street back from noisy Ocean yet still feel lile you are in the mix of everything. It is walking distance to the shops on Lincoln Road and just a short 20 min can ride from the airport. All of us commented what a fabulous time we had at the Hotel and that we will all return anytime we are in Sobe. Great Job to all the staff.

Regards,

B. James Leman (Bermuda)

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank JLBDA
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I had expected a lot more considering the price I paid for a room with a view. Extremely loud street noise was not muffled much at all, even with AC fan going full blast. The room appointments are nice, but again not spectacular for the price. Definitely a mistake to have a room with a view and expect some quiet in South Beach I guess. Also the nicer rooms are in a different building than where the pool is, so it is a hike down the street to get to the pool.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business