1,972 results
All reviewsnews caferooftop poolocean drivesouth beachcouture roomconcierge johnfrozen mojitoart decoperfect locationmain buildingwet williesself parkingpeople watchingrain showerboutique hotelcollins avenuebeach chairs
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My wife and I booked 5 nights at The Hotel in South Beach in mid-October 2012 for a conference that my wife was attending. We would definitely recommend this hotel to others, especially those in our age group.

This is one of the nicer hotels in the Art Deco district in South Beach, and it was a perfect choice for us. We’re middle-aged (50, 46), and not really into the bar/club scenes. The Miami Beach Convention Center is located about one mile due North of The Hotel. There are some really nice, huge hotels near the convention center, but we were intrigued by the Art Deco district, and since this might be our only trip to this area (we will return to Florida for Dolphins games, but we will stay in the Ft Lauderdale area then), and wanted to experience that. Keep in mind this is a 3-star hotel in a historic district, it’s not fancy, it’s not upscale. Judge accordingly. There are a lot more fancy hotels north of 17th street, but if you want to stay in the Art Deco district, in my opinion this is the best of the bunch. I think many of the negative comments here are from people that were expecting the Ritz, and this ain’t the Ritz, it’s The Hotel, a quaint art deco style boutique hotel in the heart of South Beach. I'm basing my review on this, not comparing it to the fancy resorts farther up the beach.

The South Beach Art Deco area has a simple layout. Ocean Drive overlooks the beach and runs all along the East edge. The next street in is Collins Avenue, and one street in from there is Washington Avenue. You will rarely venture off these three streets in a week stay in South Beach. The Art Deco district runs from about 5th street to the South to about 17th street to the North. There are old, cool art deco style hotels wall-to-wall along Ocean drive, and Collins is similar, but has shopping interspersed along the way. Washington Avenue appears to be where the local shop and eat, as it’s less touristy.

The great thing about the location of The Hotel, it’s right on Collins and 8th Street. You can walk out of the hotel and be on Ocean Drive in a minute. But by being off of Ocean Drive, it’s a quiet location. We had a room on the third floor, overlooking Collins, and had no problems with street noise at all. Staying here entitles you to the use of free beach chairs on the beach every day. You just tell the people at the kiosk on the beach your Hotel and name, and they set up the chairs with padding and towels for you. You can get an umbrella over the chairs for an additional $15/day.

As we were attending a Dolphins game on our second day here, we rented a car at the airport and drove to South Beach. But most people who come here won’t need a car, as most everything you’d want to see is actually within walking distance. Parking is at a premium here, so we parked the car in a parking garage a block South of The Hotel, and paid $20 for overnight parking. After the game, we returned our car to a Thrifty office that was less than a mile walk from The Hotel. That worked out nicely, as we found a place (Finnigan’s on Ocean Drive and about 14th) to eat and watch the afternoon games on the TVs there.
There is a bus (the Local) that only costs a quarter to ride, and runs up Washington and circles the convention center. We had planned to take this bus daily, but ended up walking almost everywhere we went. If you’re in reasonable shape and a mile isn’t too far to walk, I think you’ll end up walking most everywhere too.

Our room (319) was on the 3rd floor, right in the middle of the Collins-facing side. This is the short side of an L-shaped building, and the majority of the rooms either face 8th street (and overlook the patios below) or face an alleyway. It appeared to us that all the rooms would be very quiet, as ours was. I’ve read reviews that say that you can hear people walking above you if you are on the lower floors, and with this being an older building (built in 1939), I’d guess that’s true. All I know is we didn’t experience any noise at all from neighbors below or to the sides of us. The room was very clean, the rain showerhead in the bath was great, and although small and sparsely furnished, it had everything we needed, and plenty of storage. Don’t eat the nuts and jellybeans they leave on the desk – it’s $20 added to your bill if you do (we didn’t eat them, and set the snacks on the TV stand out of the way, and got inadvertently billed for one day – this was taken care of at checkout and deducted, no problem).

Which brings me to the staff. The concierge desk at this hotel is awesome! They are very attentive, and they always make sure to ask if you need help in any way. Let them help you – they arranged for our transportation back to the airport in a big nice van, so we didn’t have to take a cab (for about the same fare). They can also help you find just about anything you need.

The dining at The Hotel is limited to room service, or if you ask the concierge, they will get someone from the restaurant (The Wish) to wait on you. We found out later that the restaurant is temporarily ‘on hold’, as they explore what to do with it. I suspect they don’t get enough business (the competition from the Ocean Drive restaurants is fierce), but that’s okay, because right behind The Hotel, on Ocean Drive, is the News Café, which serves a great breakfast (and other meals too, but we only ate breakfast there during our stay.
Food in South Beach is pricey. Expect to pay $30/plate at most of the restaurants on Ocean Drive. We found a place on 11th and Washington (the 11th Street Diner) that serves breakfast all day, and was half the price of the Ocean Drive places. Ocean Drive is the see-and-be-seen place on South Beach, and the prices reflect that – and you’ll see more Rolls Royces and Ferraris here than you can shake a stick at. If you want to find more reasonable prices for food, head two streets over and explore the places on Washington. Oh, and every place we visited adds anywhere from 15-18% gratuity to the bill automatically (you can add/deduct from it as you wish).

Another place to shop/eat that is really nice and has decent prices, is Lincoln Road. This road runs perpendicular to Ocean/Collins/Washington, and is about 15th street. We wish we would have found this road earlier in our stay, as it is much nicer, cleaner, and has a lot more variety in restaurants. Check out Lincoln Road early in your visit, and you’ll likely find it worth the walk to eat/shop there.

Overall, we really liked The Hotel. It was clean, quiet, and conveniently located. The staff was exceptional from concierge to housekeeping to the front desk (check out was 2 minutes, even with the ‘dispute’ over the snacks on our bill). The roof-top pool is really nice, although the only night we had time to go check it out, we found they close it off at 8:00. It is a great place to lay out in the sun, and has a great view of the beach.

We would definitely recommend this hotel to others seeking to experience the Art Deco district in South Beach, especially those in our age group.

Room Tip: Ask for a room 'away from the noise', most likely you'll be on the top floor.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CoupleOfNuts2
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My parents,wife and I happened to be passing through Miami for the weekend after a trip to the Turks and Caicos. We had never stayed at The Hotel before so were interested to find out about their site and service. From the moment we all arrived to at this very moment at checking out we were made to feel very special and appreciated. David checked us in and was so helpful the entire trip as our concierge with fabulous recommendations on places to exact and visit. The room was very spacious. (we stayed in their cotoure and my parents wee upgraded at no extra cost to an even larger room). The best part of the hotel in our opinion is their fabulous rooftop pool and bar. We spent many hours with a glass of wine relaxing the days away. The location could not be more perfect as you are one street back from noisy Ocean yet still feel lile you are in the mix of everything. It is walking distance to the shops on Lincoln Road and just a short 20 min can ride from the airport. All of us commented what a fabulous time we had at the Hotel and that we will all return anytime we are in Sobe. Great Job to all the staff.

Regards,

B. James Leman (Bermuda)

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank JLBDA
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I had expected a lot more considering the price I paid for a room with a view. Extremely loud street noise was not muffled much at all, even with AC fan going full blast. The room appointments are nice, but again not spectacular for the price. Definitely a mistake to have a room with a view and expect some quiet in South Beach I guess. Also the nicer rooms are in a different building than where the pool is, so it is a hike down the street to get to the pool.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I Stayed here for 1 week and 1 day, horrible staff Gwen the girl is so mean always on the phone and listening to music. She doesn't know how to make hotel reservations, also she doesn't greet someone with a smile or a Hello, That's her JOB. My second time staying at this hotel, first time it was good everything was in place. The hotel room are so boring well I had the balcony View, which was the best over looking Ocean Drive and In the center of the actions. You would love this room if you're a Young Couple, because all the noises in the night time. The maid is so cheap she doesn't leave toilet paper, Chocolate,tissues, soap, shower gel and etc. They are so cheap!!! The iron in the room suck, always leaking water. Time for a upgrade people. The sink was clogged and sometimes the bathroom won't flush, we didn't had tv for 4 days, send a maintenance guy but he couldn't fix the problem until the last day the tv decide to work. They couldn't give us a free night or work with the prices. I swear the manager has no concern and not a nice guy, just want to take people money. I would never stay here AGAIN, I'm an unhappy Guest, the manager was worthless and didn't help us at all... I love the view there but I can't see myself in that hotel ever again... Daniel the bellman was very nice and have good manners, friendly and sweet. Also another young guy that work there in the nighttime he's also friendly and nice always greeting you with a smile and a hello. The GIRL'S need to work on there attitude and start Greeting Guest. The light on the Balcony doesn't work and there is no switch for the light. My stay at this hotel was okay, I didn't like it at all. I wish the manager can read this!!! Prices are high... Always park your own car, the garage is safe and they have cameras. Good luck staying here:)

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 16, 2012

The Hotel in South Miami Beach is great. One block from all the action but also one block from all the noise. The hotel is stylish and the price is reasonable. We stayed in a room without a view for the lower cost but the room was really nice and the rooftop pool and bar provides the view. All of the staff was great, from the concierge to the bartenders to the front desk person. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor and had very little street noise.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple