“A Hotel With Problems”

Ranked #76 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
London, United Kingdom
“A Hotel With Problems”
Reviewed June 15, 2008

A sorely disappointing experience. This hotel has problems - some of which it acknowledged, some of which it didn't. Where to start? The air conditioning in the room was noisy and spewed condensation over the tiled floor. The balcony door was broken resulting in a 3 inch gap which compromised security and quietness, which in a rowdy hotel is not good. The kitchen areas in the suites are devoid of anything except a microwave with no glassware, crockery or cutlery. The decor is looking tired and shabby. The restaurant and the hotel have had a huge falling out. Therefore there is no room service and no breakfast and lunch beyond a very scant buffet. We moved rooms after our first night problems and the second room was only marginally better than the first. The staff tried their best to be helpful but there are significant management issues which need to be addressed for this hotel to provide anything like value for money. We were only charged for one night of a two night stay and still felt that the hotel was overpriced.

If (as we were) you are intending to bring children, I would look at other options in the nearby area such as the Ritz Carlton which compete on price and outstrip the Sagamore in facilities and service.

• Liked — The Staff were trying hard in difficult circumstances
  • Disliked — The overall lack of value for money for hotel that advertises itself as being high end accommodation
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed June 11, 2008

Hotel is in an excellent location, walking distance to everything, beachfront with a relaxing zero-entry pool. When we arrived, we were upgraded as dictated by our package and found out that these rooms were no longer equipped with stoves, microwaves and dishwashers. We had to choose between oceanfront and kitchen, so we opted for the view as we were on vacation. They brought a microwave in for us. Unfortunately, early in our stay, the restaurant called it quits. We chose the hotel because we were told it was kid-friendly. With two small children, we were not planning to go out of the hotel for breakfast lunch and dinner, but that's what we had to do. The hotel did not at any point communicate with us or even some of the staff to tell them what was happening with the kitchen. We kept hearing that maybe there would be food service tomorrow. We couldn't even order a drink at night. Part of the reason I picked this hotel was because they offered a VIP pass to the kids giving them free french fries, hot dogs, juice, and ice cream when they wanted it. We were never able to use them. Whenever we asked, we were told there was no kitchen. It was very disappointing for the little ones and incredibly inconvenient. Also, the doors separating the rooms are glass which don't provide much privacy and the pullout has an extremely thin mattress. When we complained to management about the restaurant issues, we were told the rate would be cut in half for our stay. We felt this was fair, but when we checked out, the rate was simply reduced to the discounted rate anyone could get online. I objected and we were told that our credit card would not be charged until they straightened it out. I left my cell phone number but no one called. Three days after arriving home, I called and was told that I must've misunderstood and that there would be no further rate reduction. I asked for the general manager to call me and was told he would on Monday. Three days later, still waiting for that call . The service staff was very nice and helpful. Some seemed embarrassed by the lack of communication. Hotel was clean but not what I would call kid-friendly.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — no restaurant/mismanagement
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Toronto
Reviewed May 21, 2008

My husband and I just got back from a long weekend in South Beach. We stayed at the Sagamore for the first time. We usually stay next door at the Ritz. We really enjoyed our stay.

We had an oceanfront suite with balcony. The suite was quite large and nice and bright. Lots of windows. The view was beautiful. We slept very well as the bed was very comfortable and our room was high enough up to not get too much of the outside noise. The only negative about the room is it's a bit awkward. The closet is very small and the bed is close to the closet door so it's a bit hard to get your clothes out, and the safe is in another closet which you almost kill yourself trying to use, as well as some other similar issues. It seems they might have a bit too much furniture crammed into the suite. But I'd still request this same suite again as I loved the decor and all the windows and the view. The awkwardness bothered my husband more than it bothered me.

We didn't use the pool, but instead spent our time on the beach, which was very nice. They provide loungers and umbrellas - the loungers are free and the umbrellas have a fee (I'm not sure how much).

The only other negative is the breakfast buffet was so-so. But we went next door to the Ritz and had their breakfast and since the hotels are next to each other we didn't mind this inconvenience at all and wouldn't even call it an inconvenience.

We wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Sagamore again in the future. It's a great boutique hotel.

• Liked — The oceanfront suite
  • Disliked — The breakfast
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
new orleans
Reviewed May 12, 2008

We loved our stay at the Sagamore. Design wise the hotel is a bit stark for my taste The art is fabulous but the overall white seems to make the place look more like a sanitarium rather than a welcoming hotel. Could use some color on the walls with more furniture/plants in the lobby to encourage lounging and enjoying the art. The restaurant Social lacks intimacy in the fact that it is in a long white tunnel with no separation from services. Our room was an ocean front suite on the 4rth floor which was a great location in terms of view and noise control. Loved the balcony and particularly the design of the bedroom within the room which helped immensely blocking out 3 am partying noise. The decor again is a little too white and looks homemade. The art is great but they could use some professional help in sprucing up the interior. The blinds on one window and lighting looked too residential. The drawers are rickety and worst is the ceramic floor throughout. They need to put down some good quality sisal and update their bath hardware if they want to keep the place upscale. Also the millwork around the bathroom doors was strangely traditional in a modern hotel! Since I am a designer by profession I felt I might have been overly sensitive to these details.
The saltwater pool is small but nice with easy access to the beach. The music is always competing with neighboring National Hotel. The pool scene can be juvenile and college-ish at times with 20s crowd party on Saturday.
All these flaws were overcome by the hotel's extremely welcoming staff and well informed concierge and quick room service. The beds were very comfortable with a nice size bathroom. Good place to stay and venture out for restaurants and night life.

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — decor
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
new york, ny
Reviewed May 2, 2008

location, service, food, rooms, art, sun, beach, drinks....this hotel provides it all. it's the best kept secret on south beach. you won't be disappointed if you stay here. the customer service is the best, the employees go out of their way to make you feel comfortable. the rooms are fantastic and the beach is terrific!

• Liked — rooms are huge with kitchens and flat screen tv's
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
kcmny
Reviewed April 21, 2008

We stayed in a big suite for the cost of comparable suites at nearby high-end hotels, and we were not too impressed. To my dismay, I left a cherished jacket in our room upon checkout, only to get the run-around when I called to inquire about retrieving it. I spoke to four different people; all of which said they would call me back, but nobody called. I finally spoke to a manager who told me it was my problem because they did not find the jacket and are not responsible for lost/stolen items. My jacket wasn't lost; I left it in the room. So disappointing. Unfortunately, I will not recommend this cute hotel to anyone. Especially at their prices.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
krex
Reviewed March 19, 2008

Amazing--hmm--what was good? The greeting, the "let us take care of you" attitude--the friendliness of the bartender--the amazing managers--the beautiful facilities--the latest art--the look when I said I am at the Sagamore--and people went WOW--the closeness to everything but the distance to make it wonderful--

What isn't to love. Amenities are all you want and more; the hipness, the cleanliness, the value, the view, the location--and did I mention the artwork and the people?

If you can stay there--if you are there-0--stay longer---I was ready to change the lock and never leave! I hadn't been to South Beach in years---The Sagamore gives me the only reason (though there are others) I need on why I would go back. It is THE RIGHT place in THE RIGHT LOCATION!!!!

DON"T MISS IT!!!!!! (and I am a tough sell--15 years on the road in 30 countries with 300 plus nights away from home!)--Now I need to go to figure out how to get back there...

• Liked — teh place and the people--can't separate!
  • Disliked — the short stay I had!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank krex