“Attitude at its worst”
Review of Cecconi's

Reserve with OpenTable
Cecconi's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #112 of 1,152 Restaurants in Miami Beach
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Oceanfront
Cross street: 44th Street
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Dined here recently during a week's stay in Miami and experienced some of the worst and most arrogant service I have ever been subjected to (and I spend a lot of time in the south of France!).

We arrived for dinner on a rainy Wednesday evening and were ushered to a table in the farthest corner of Siberia by a haughty waitress. When I asked the waitress if there was anywhere I could put my umbrella, I was told she would only take it if it was "one of ours" so it was instead left propped up against the table dripping over the floor. We were then left alone in an empty end of the restaurant, covered up by a tarpaulin which inadequately sheltered us from the wind and the rain.

We eventually decided enough was enough and asked if we could move table to the other (drier) end of the restaurant and closer to a patio heater. We were reluctantly accommodated and ended up with a much better table, albeit surrounded by staff running around with pots/buckets to catch the rain leaking through the roof. During our visit, several more couples/groups came in and were ushered to the far end of the restaurant which offered little or no protection from the wind and the rain. All of them without exception asked to be moved. Given that the restaurant was about a quarter full at the time, I do not understand why the staff insisted on leading people to the worst end of the restaurant rather than making them feel welcome in the warmer/drier end.

I realise that this is a restaurant best enjoyed in the sunshine, or at least the dry and under such circumstances, I'm sure it would be a wonderful setting. However, given the rain isn't such a rarity in Miami, you would think that they would be able to cope with a shower and that the staff would make up for the wet and cold weather rather than make the experience even colder with their snotty attitude.

On the plus side, the food was very good and it didn't represent bad value in the context of Miami but this alone wouldn't entice me back when there are plenty of other good Italian restaurants in this town.

3  Thank Hambon
Write a ReviewReviews (1,162)

Reviewed November 12, 2012

If you made a reservation, my suggestion is to cancel it asap!
I will not exaggerate and I will be honest with my opinion.........
This restaurant is not for seasoned restaurant goers, but it is great for people that have no taste combined with a lack of dining experience where anything and everything impresses them. We tried this restaurant and never ever had such a disgusting horrible cheap experience in my life. 15 Minutes waiting before a waiter asked us if we wanted to drink something but he could only get us bottled water as alcoholic drinks had to be ordered with another waiter. Then another unprofessional waiter, Andrea, who spoke very basic English came to the table and explained the dish of the day while he was looking at another table the whole time but did make sure to quote the price of dish of the day at $100. Then a bottle of the Spanish Marques de Caseras at $52 or each glass at $12 was brought to the table which I checked the price at a later date and it sells in my grocery store at $7 for a whole bottle. A small draught beer at $9 with a miserable face and painful service and total confusion of what is happening or who was serving us.
Well now the food...... food is absolutely horrible and I ask myself where on earth did these untalented/useless/amateurs get the idea that they had any right to call themselves a restaurant/waiters/professionals and con decent people like us. Have to mention the extra tomatoe sauce my wife politely asked for, which they took 15 minutes to bring, just as she was finishing her dinner, and then had the audacity to charge 3 dollars for!

Paid over $200 for a meal that with a little effort my local gas station could probably provide for a fraction of the price.

Now the funniest thing is that they add an 18% service charge to the bill BUT THEY DO NOT TELL YOU ABOUT IT and if you have difficulties seeing, then you will make the same mistake as us and give them additional tips. So be warned!

5  Thank Ken B
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Went for dinner on a Friday night. Place was packed, but we got a table in the hotel lobby, which may sound weird but it was actually nice. There were at least a dozen tables set up in the lobby, and we had the privilege of sharing it with a live jazz duo. Outside they had a canvas roof over the dining area anyway, and it was very noisy (although beautiful).

This is one of those places where you can feel that competent staff is on top of things. Even though the place was crowded, service went smoothly.

Food was excellent. We shared a tomato/bocconcini appetizer. Being such a classic, it's always refreshing when they seem to somehow reinvent it. That was the case last night, with tomatoes that you usually see only in Italy and Provence. The cheese tasted so fresh, again you have to go to Italy to get a similar experience. The basil tasted like it had just been cut from the garden.

My wife had the Ahi tuna tartare, which was mind blowing. The waiter showed us the fish before it was mixed with the rest of the ingredients, most beatiful piece of tuna I've seen since I was in Hawai way back. I had the cannellonis, which were awesome. Porcini, veal and truffles... Cooked to perfection.

Just one issue: the wine list. Cheapest italian wine is 40$. In my opinion, that's not right. I firmly believe every sommelier should include wines that have a better price/quality ratio. 30$ should buy you a decent bottle of wine in any restaurant (I'm willing to debate this with any sommelier if he pays the wine).

Great people watching to do. This place apparently is part of "the scene", which means 7 feet tall supermodels wearing high heels and weighing less than a hundred pounds.

Pros: excellent food and service, classy decor, al fresco dining available, people watching
Cons: reds start at 40$, reservations strongly recommended

Reviewed November 7, 2012

I loved the Champagne cocktail as well as the rucola, fennel, orange and green olives salad and the chicken paillard. Service was outstanding- and the vanilla panecotta was equally delicious! I loved the atmosphere and had a wonderful meal experience. Highly recommend!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

The service and the food were excellent. The setting is beautiful and although it is expensive you leave feeling like you got your money's worth. I highly recommedn this restaurant. The only dish that I did not find worth while was the tuna appetizer, which was very bland.

1  Thank Manuel D