“Location, location, location!”

Westgate South Beach Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #136 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed May 1, 2010

I loved my stay at the Westgate and would definitely go back. I have to agree with the reviews I read before I left (which set my expectations at the right spot).

The good:
-the staff were wonderful: Ted at the front desk was very helpful and super nice.
-the room has everything you need (kitchen, comfortable beds, large & clean bathroom)
-the resort has a little shop (sandwiches, coffee, alcohol, food supplies including some fresh fruit/veg, post cards & stamps -it's like a Quickie Mart)
-the resort is right on the beach & boardwalk!!!!!
-the pool area is small but very nice (cleanest resort pool I've ever been in; salt water pool)
-the walk down the boardwalk to Ocean Drive is amazingly beautiful and only took about 30 minutes (strolling)
-cab fare from Lincoln Ave and Collins to the resort is only $5 (add a couple of dollars if you cab from Ocean Drive)

The less good:
-the room furniture does need an update. we put down the extra sheets over the sofa before sitting on it.
-took awhile to get hot water in the shower & kitchen

I found it helpful to know before I went about the parking (in a city lot next door $6/day arranged by hotel) and the fact that the rooms were a little dated. I had also read about the noise factor for room facing Collins Ave, so I had made a request for a top floor, pool facing room (#317- view of pool, and partial ocean view).

I liked the fact that this was not a huge resort with a lot of people & noise. I will go back and would recommend the place for a great beach vacation including some fun on Ocean Drive!.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank Cymru1414
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate South Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2015

Thank you for your review! It is wonderful to know you enjoyed your time with us. Please come back to stay with us again!

Reviewed April 18, 2010

I agree with the last review that this resort is just average. We travel and this hotel had nothing special.Very old hotel and really needed balconies with such small rooms. We did like the idea that it was right on the beach,had a pool and had a small store/sandwich shop. Had to pay for parking but they let us buy a whole week of passes so we could come and go. The last day they let us park for an extra four hrs and have a pass card for the pool etc. which was great!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank carelomb

Thank you so much for your review. We have made many improvements since you last stayed with us and hope that this experience does not deter you from staying at any of our other Westgate Resorts.

Best Regards,

Reviewed March 4, 2010

My wife, 10 month old son and I recently had a wonderful weekend at the Westgate South Miami Beach. Our expectations were low as we read previous reviews but we were pleasantly surprised as how nice the room and service was all weekend. Not a five star resort but a serviceable hotel room right on South Miami Beach.

We thank the Trip Advisor reviewers for the parking tips. The hotel did offer daily parking for $6 + tax in a lot next door.

With a 10 month old we requested ahead of time a children's bed and highchair. The front desk promptly brought them upstairs upon arrival. The maids were very sweet to our son but more importantly, they did a great job with servicing our room in a timely manner.

Our room was clean and updated recently. The kitchen was very handy for our son's meals. Our third floor room had a view of the ocean. The boardwalk out back lead to the Lincoln Road Mall and Ocean Drive to the south. Great people and building watching.

Although too cool to swim in the clean, small pool in the back, there was a relaxing playground/garden area behind it that was nice and peaceful with chairs and hammocks to sun in.

Overall, a nice, simple place to go for a long weekend.
Oh yea, the pictures in the hallway were special, especially the ones with Arnold.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank JD-Maggie

Reviewed March 2, 2010

This hotel had some bad reviews before I went there, and I would say they were not all correct.
The room I stayed in was clean and well taken care of. The hotel staff was very helpful and a pleasure to talk to. The only think that I could say wrong was that it got to 50 degrees at night and the room was cold on the first night. There was plenty of covering on the bed to get over the cold. Everything in the room worked fine from the jacuzzi to the fridge.
A lot of people did get tickets on their cars because you have to change permits by noon everyday and that was a problem for some. Parking at $8 a night was also not bad compared to other big cities parking charges. I would recemend to anyone going to South Beach.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank HWiley

Reviewed December 16, 2009

I had the pleasure of staying in this fine hotel recently. I had a room on the second floor which came fully-equipped. It was a two-bedroom meant for a family. The showers are enclosed and luxurious. Excellent kitchen with everything and bar style seating.

The salt-water pool was heated, warm and clean. The beach was located directly behind the building and has a boardwalk that runs from here to South Beach.

Staff is professional throughout and a new cafe makes an excellent addition. You will not need to rent a car if you stay in this hotel since you can take the "J" bus directly from the airport to save nearly $100.00 in round-trip cab fares.

One minor drawback: you are actually in North Beach. This will keep the noise factor down but does necessitate a 2 mile walk or bus trip down to Ocean Drive. All city buses are very close.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank NooYoka

Reviewed October 13, 2009

The location was great because it was in great proximity to the beach. However, I found the decor and the structure inferior to other Westgate properties, especially the ones in the Orlando area. The structure was attractive at all.

The parking was free but you had to circle and wait on several occasions for a parking space. The Westgate should purchase a specified number of parking spaces for their guests.

The staff were not all bilingual. I don't have a problem with people coming to this country for better opportunities but I have a problem when I am not able to communicate in an English speaking country. The staff needs to be trained that the customer is the cause of their pay check. Wi Fi was not free in the rooms but you could get a free signal in the lobby. I was there for an hour and the front desk personell kept the TV on Spanish stations and over 5 men who appeared to be staff congregated in the lobby and they were loud.

There was no hot tub or excersise equipment. However, the pool area was attractive. ALso, the hammocks were great for relaxation.

All in all, I would give this facility a 31/2 star rating.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank 1knowing1

Best Regards,

Reviewed August 26, 2009

i recived a call form the staff as soon as my plan landed. which was great. we checked in and the room was very nice 1 bd suite fully stocked.. the jacuzzi in the room was to big though it takes 3 hrs to fill.. And dont try to fill it @ night virtually impossible.. we had to use all the pots and pans to boil water and then it still toke 2 hrs 47 min.. Yes i was counting.. The staff was great very helpful and they did seem to make sure we were having a great time..

Now what i did not like is that I asked on wendesday to have the sheets changed they said we had only been there one night and they will change them on thursday.. OMG gross.. I did have male company and would like to lay on clean sheets.. But other than that.. I liked it there alot..

oh wait the parking they did not tell us upon check in that we were paying for parking.. they gave us a parking pass and said make sure you get one everyday.. So i'm like ok.. parking for our 5 days was 30 bucks and the beach chairs was 10 each and 10 for the umbrella.. So get your own..

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends