“Great Location, No Customer Service”

Westgate South Beach Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #134 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great Location, No Customer Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2005

I visited Westgate South Beach from April 3-6, 2005. The hotel is not luxurious or five star as the advertisement of the hotel would lead you to believe. I arrived at the hotel earlier than the 4pm check-in and they told me to come back within 30 minutes and they would have a room available for me. I arrived back around noon and was allowed to check into my room earlier. This resort does not have any amenities or many activities for children. I was traveling with my ten year old son. During my stay there were no planned activities, however, they do have an activity list which did not include very many things. They have things such as game night etc. The pool at the hotel was our entertainment the whole entire stay. It was a nice pool and it was heated so my son really enjoyed it. The beach is located right behind the hotel so it was very nice to be able to leave the hotel and walk to the beach. We spent a lot of time on the beach. This resort is located on a part of Collins Avenue where a lot of things are not going on. The closest sit down restaurant is Denny's which is about a 10 minute walk from the hotel. Oh, let me tell you that the parking is horrible at this hotel. You can purchase a parking pass for 6.50 a day from the hotel which allows you to park your car on the street for several blocks. There is a small parking lot next to Westgate South Beach but it was full majority of the time and you will spend lots of time just driving around trying to find a parking space.

• Stayed April 2005
5 Thank MissKP
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate South Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, June 23, 2015
Thank you so much for your review. We have made many improvements since you last stayed with us and hope that this experience does not deter you from staying at any of our other Westgate Resorts.

Ariel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2005

The hotel is in good condition,very nice rooms, good location, average service, would repeat this hotel in the future.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Thank you for your review! It is wonderful to know you enjoyed your time with us. Please come back to stay with us again!

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2004

I had so many problems with this Westgate property -- being referred through their owner-referral program; I was expecting a great experience as promised. Because their rooms were full, they sent us to the Clarion Hotel in Miami, and were put in their only room available -- a smoking room with a broken toilet. I was 6 months pregnant and not appreciating any of the smells. We made several trips to Westgate South Beach where the staff was nice and listened and actually felt bad, stating they've seen problems similar to ours. Because we were there on a weekend, and their customer service dept. was closed, no one could anything but apologize. We were stuck, ended up spending a lot of money on many unpleasantries.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Kansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2004

We are Westgate owners and were going on a cruise out of Miami. We hadn't stayed at Westgate except our home resort, so we thought we would give it a try. The rooms are very nice size, but ours stunk. We had to buy candles and spray to get the smell masked. The rooms were decorated very nice, but they weren't very clean. The staff didn't go above and beyond with service. The pool was dirty and not heated, so we didn't use it at all. There are no amenities at the hotel like a restaurant, toothbrush, shampoo, etc. I wouldn't advise walking at night and you have to pay additional for parking. The beach was awesome and the hotel has a playground for kids. I was expecting better from Westgate, but it wasn't awful. I can almost guarantee we won't stay there again.

8 Thank tb2

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2004

The westgate was actually really nice. After reading some of the reviews on here I was NERVOUS! But it was everything and more than I expected. Very clean, nice, spacious apartment/rooms. Only negative I can say was there the language barrier. I didn't know if I was in Mexico or Miami. Everyone speaks spanish there. The security guy actually told me he didn't speak English. But everything else was wonderful! lol

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2004

Took a time sharing presentation in Gantlinburg in Feb and hence got this deal to stay at the Westgate resort for three days and two nights for $49 (registration fee). Found the folks at the reception quite friendly, especially the young lady who sits at the reception during the evening/nightly hours. She was extremely sweet, courteous and helpful. Though the groceries are not nearby (as one of the reviewers complained) it is not too difficult to drive down to Publix on 46th street. There is no restaurant or cafeteria in the facility but one can always get Thai/Chinese/Pizza delivered to your room from the nearby restaurants. Ocean Blvd., the hotspot, is very close. If parking seems to be a problem there one can always catch a local bus ride and hop out on 5th Ave (on Collins) and walk a block. The beach in front of Westgate is pretty nice too and my kids enjoyed it. The swimming pool at the resort was on the smaller side and not heated. But it didn't matter as we spend much of our time at the beach and used the pool that mother-nature provided us with. On a final note though, we wanted to extend our stay by a day. So decided to check the (real!) price out and discovered that it is $275 a night! That was not something I was expecting to hear. Now I am not sure how many of the residents are paying that kind of money to stay. In spite of all the hospitality and convenience I am pretty convinced that it is not really worth that much. Thankfully we decided to drive down to Key West and spend the money there. Otherwise we would have missed the beauty and the charm of the Keys. But that's another story. As far as the stay at the resort is concerned I and my family loved it - a whopping four star from our side.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2004

We were very pleased with the Westgate Miami Beach resort. Everything a person could want was right there on sight. It was a wonderful vacation. We enjoyed the pool, the beach, the food, and the drinks.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member