“Hotel had no atmosphere.”

Courtyard Miami Beach South Beach
Ranked #135 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Spent 3 days here prior to cruise and although the location was acceptable the hotel was basic and lacked any kind of atmosphere due to the real lack of a bar/dining room/lounge . These were combined into an area off the lobby and couldn't be described as a lounge/dining area or bar as it fell short on all counts and after 9.30 in the morning no breakfast. Don't expect crockery or cutlery everything is disposable. Staff under pressure at breakfast as girl taking orders then had to disappear to get coffee/cooked food etc. Rooms were again basic and ours at the rear faced a brick wall. Pool area on the roof was good location but little used during our stay, if you wanted a drink or food there you had to take it up with you. Staff were in general friendly but it lacked the "Marriott" feel. Would only stay again if it was an overnighter felt like a bed factory "get em in and out" no frills, no fuss but unfortunately we paid the price of a Marriott hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of hotel are quieter but have no view other than the buildings behind.
1  Thank Retired200806
GM_MiamiBeach, General Manager at Courtyard Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Dear retired,

I was disappointed to read your comments, but we definitely appreciate the feedback. Reading that the hotel didn't have an atmosphere and the staff didn't offer the same Marriott quality that you expect is disheartening. I am extremely apologetic that we didn't meet your needs during your stay. We do offer cutlery at the hotel and the disposal ware is for items to go only. I apologize if that wasn't the case during your dining experience. Again, we are very sorry for the inconvenience and I hope you will continue to choose Marriott when you travel.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

Held a 2 day business meeting in this hotel and I am sorry to say it was not up to anything like the standards one normally gets from Marriott.

Poor standards, room not dressed properly, flimsy plastic knives, forks and glasses, no crockery, coffee only served in cardboard cups etc etc etc.

Food was Ok but lunch for example left in the room ALL DAY and to cap it all during my 3 days at the hotel only on the last day following many complaints did a duty manager come and ask what was my problems etc. The on site events manager never bothered to contact me at any time.

The GM was away from the property during my stay so it may have been a case of "When the Cats away".........

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
GM_MiamiBeach, General Manager at Courtyard Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Good afternoon,

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts. I am very sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your meeting with us. This is honestly the first time we received negative feedback on a meeting room event. I talked with the coordinator of the event yesterday and expressed my apologies. He did warn me that many of the attendees planned to post negative reviews on Trip Advisor. I am very sorry that we couldn't recover from this issue prior to your departure. I hope you will accept my apology for the inconvenience.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

Really tiny rooms with thin walls and average beds. This hotel is very jammed for room...their meeting rooms/conference room was small and poor ventilation and air conditioning controls. The small bar and food area is ok but staff are not very friendly or customer driven. This is not a good hotel

Room Tip: Spend a 100 more and get a bigger room. Stayed at savoy for a hundred more and way bigger and right...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Good afternoon Todd,

Reviewed February 22, 2014

We stayed at the Courtyard Marriot on Jan 25th, prior to going to our first cruise. Although this hotel was pricier than I wanted, it was clean and comfortable for 5 of us (mother, husband, 2 young children, and I). It is nicely decorated with many modern accents and is well situated, only a short walk to amazing restaurants, the beach, and Ocean Drive. 7-11 is nearby as well as shopping and the convention centre. On site snack/bar/Starbucks makes breakfast a breeze or afternoon cocktail/coffee convenient. Lobby has really nice sitting area and several tvs. I was impressed to pieces by manager Joe Vega. His attentiveness and kind regard of others really made it wonderful. He remembered my family and our check out time (too early to go to the ship) and made sure to give us an updated key card so we could continue to go in and out of the hotel. He was also kind enough to allow us to use the luggage storage when we returned because our flight was very late and our ship docked very early. Again, he graciously allowed us use of the facilities while we waited to go to the airport and even went as far as to give us some extra free tickets he had to an Antique show nearby. He went above and beyond my expectations of service and graciousness. Although Marriot Courtyard was merely a short stop on our cruise vacation, Joe made it one of the most memorable parts of it. Truly the cherry on top!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
GM_MiamiBeach, General Manager at Courtyard Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Dear Fiona K,

I am so happy that enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for your compliments to the hotel and Joe. He is definitely a gem and we're lucky to have him. Thank you again and we hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

Stayed here a few nights ago and thankfully it was only for one night. As stated in a previous review, the pool could only be accessed by one elevator which the management responded and said the problem was corrected, well the problem still exists. I had to forcefully close the elevator door to make it close. Both elevator inspection stickers are well expired.
The walls in this hotel are thin, very thin. I heard every sound coming from above my room and on the side of my room.
Checked out at 4am to catch a flight only to have to wait a good 20 minutes for valet to bring my car around since they also valet for the urban nightclub next door. Very shady characters mingle outside of the hotel and a few attempted to enter the hotel, but luckily the doors were locked.
The view sucks, unless you like looking at the roof and building next to you.
Wireless internet was spotty.
No safe.

2  Thank Mike P

Dear Mike P.

I am very sorry to hear about the issues you experienced with us. I do apologize if there was any confusion with my previous responses, but we do only have one elevator that accesses our rooftop pool. I apologize for the noise issue and also for any guest that were in front of our hotel that didn't make you feel comfortable. We are located in the heart of south beach and while our hotel is very safe there are many people from different walks of life that visit the area. I really appreciate your feedback and I will be sure to follow up on any issues with the elevator and share your comments with my team. Thank you!

Reviewed February 19, 2014

I have been a member of Marriott program easily for 20+ years. I rely on Marriott for cleanliness and consistency. The hotel under review does not fit this category.

On the positive side, the staff was very friendly and tried to address every problem which came up whenever they could. Joe at the front desk was fantastic. That added a star, otherwise it would be a 2-star review.

Now the problems.

At $290 per night for a room with no view, overlooking the inside roof with windows which do not open, you figure something has to be good. Not the case.

No safe in the room although the room was big enough to put in a big bank safe. So you need to go to the front desk .And if they are busy (often there is just 1 person working), you may have to wait 10 minutes until they are done. And then for some reason they always had a problem locating master key,

The only ice machine was in the basement - strange for a 5-story decent size hotel.

Roof pool could be accessed by only one elevator which cannot be called separately. It barely worked over 4 days, and did not work completely one day. Hotel staff had to be called to open fire staircase to get to the roof. The only reason we needed to go to the pool was to get towels - 2 of 3 times we went, there were no beach towels.

We came back to the room at 5pm and the room was still not cleaned up.

Free internet was a plus, but only when it worked. There was an outage.

1  Thank rkoifman
GM_MiamiBeach, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Dear Rkoifman,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I would like to personally apologize for the many inconveniences that you experienced while at our hotel. I apologize that our location did not provide the location you hoped for. We are within walking distance to the beach, great restaurants, and shopping. Additionally, I apologize that the elevators were experiencing problems during your stay and I can assure you that those issues were corrected by as soon as we were aware of the issue. Although you did experience many issues at our hotel, I am pleased to know that our staff was friendly during your stay and correct any issues you experienced outside of the structural issues mentioned. Again, thank you for choosing Marriott and we hope that you would you would be willing to give us another opportunity in the future.

Regards,
Wes Chatellier
Operations Manager

Reviewed February 11, 2014

The rooms were fine, the hotel didn't say it was being remodeled and still charged a premium... the VOC volatile organic compound smells of paint, floor sealant, mastic, carpet glue gave you a permanent headache.

I would think by now it is all fixed but I'm just doing my catchup reviews... There was no breakfast buffet but you could order on the phone and come down and get it from the front desk, YES, no lie.. that was how it was handled.

Parking was ok, typical S. Beach.. next door to the hotel is a vagrant favorite during the day until about 9pm when the venue next door shows up to open the club and it is hoppin' and hooopdies and plenty of drama. Across the street was the Madonna which i really didn't like seeing that it makes it seem seedy but again, the place itself surprised me it was part of Marriott...

Room Tip: Pool on the roof is cool, check it out at night...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank BOBBY1964_1
GM_MiamiBeach, General Manager at Courtyard Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Dear Bobby,

We completed our lobby renovation in October 2013. I apologize for any inconvenience during your stay. We placed a renovation alert on our website a few weeks prior to the start of the construction. We offered a grab and go style breakfast and room delivery during the construction based on space constraints. I do understand the frustration with this change when you're used to utilizing the buffet area in the lobby. We are truly apologetic for your experience last year. I would love the opportunity to make the stay up to you. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel if you change your mind about returning.