“Not up to par for a marriott”

Courtyard Miami Beach South Beach
Ranked #134 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Really tiny rooms with thin walls and average beds. This hotel is very jammed for room...their meeting rooms/conference room was small and poor ventilation and air conditioning controls. The small bar and food area is ok but staff are not very friendly or customer driven. This is not a good hotel

Room Tip: Spend a 100 more and get a bigger room. Stayed at savoy for a hundred more and way bigger and right...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
GM_MiamiBeach, General Manager at Courtyard Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Good afternoon Todd,

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts. I am very sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your meeting with us. This is honestly the first time we received negative feedback on a meeting room event. I talked with the coordinator of the event yesterday and expressed my apologies. He did warn me that many of the attendees planned to post negative reviews on Trip Advisor. I am very sorry that we couldn't recover from this issue prior to your departure. I hope you will accept my apology for the inconvenience.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

We stayed at the Courtyard Marriot on Jan 25th, prior to going to our first cruise. Although this hotel was pricier than I wanted, it was clean and comfortable for 5 of us (mother, husband, 2 young children, and I). It is nicely decorated with many modern accents and is well situated, only a short walk to amazing restaurants, the beach, and Ocean Drive. 7-11 is nearby as well as shopping and the convention centre. On site snack/bar/Starbucks makes breakfast a breeze or afternoon cocktail/coffee convenient. Lobby has really nice sitting area and several tvs. I was impressed to pieces by manager Joe Vega. His attentiveness and kind regard of others really made it wonderful. He remembered my family and our check out time (too early to go to the ship) and made sure to give us an updated key card so we could continue to go in and out of the hotel. He was also kind enough to allow us to use the luggage storage when we returned because our flight was very late and our ship docked very early. Again, he graciously allowed us use of the facilities while we waited to go to the airport and even went as far as to give us some extra free tickets he had to an Antique show nearby. He went above and beyond my expectations of service and graciousness. Although Marriot Courtyard was merely a short stop on our cruise vacation, Joe made it one of the most memorable parts of it. Truly the cherry on top!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
GM_MiamiBeach, General Manager at Courtyard Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Dear Fiona K,

I am so happy that enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for your compliments to the hotel and Joe. He is definitely a gem and we're lucky to have him. Thank you again and we hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

Stayed here a few nights ago and thankfully it was only for one night. As stated in a previous review, the pool could only be accessed by one elevator which the management responded and said the problem was corrected, well the problem still exists. I had to forcefully close the elevator door to make it close. Both elevator inspection stickers are well expired.
The walls in this hotel are thin, very thin. I heard every sound coming from above my room and on the side of my room.
Checked out at 4am to catch a flight only to have to wait a good 20 minutes for valet to bring my car around since they also valet for the urban nightclub next door. Very shady characters mingle outside of the hotel and a few attempted to enter the hotel, but luckily the doors were locked.
The view sucks, unless you like looking at the roof and building next to you.
Wireless internet was spotty.
No safe.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mike P

Dear Mike P.

I am very sorry to hear about the issues you experienced with us. I do apologize if there was any confusion with my previous responses, but we do only have one elevator that accesses our rooftop pool. I apologize for the noise issue and also for any guest that were in front of our hotel that didn't make you feel comfortable. We are located in the heart of south beach and while our hotel is very safe there are many people from different walks of life that visit the area. I really appreciate your feedback and I will be sure to follow up on any issues with the elevator and share your comments with my team. Thank you!

Reviewed February 19, 2014

I have been a member of Marriott program easily for 20+ years. I rely on Marriott for cleanliness and consistency. The hotel under review does not fit this category.

On the positive side, the staff was very friendly and tried to address every problem which came up whenever they could. Joe at the front desk was fantastic. That added a star, otherwise it would be a 2-star review.

Now the problems.

At $290 per night for a room with no view, overlooking the inside roof with windows which do not open, you figure something has to be good. Not the case.

No safe in the room although the room was big enough to put in a big bank safe. So you need to go to the front desk .And if they are busy (often there is just 1 person working), you may have to wait 10 minutes until they are done. And then for some reason they always had a problem locating master key,

The only ice machine was in the basement - strange for a 5-story decent size hotel.

Roof pool could be accessed by only one elevator which cannot be called separately. It barely worked over 4 days, and did not work completely one day. Hotel staff had to be called to open fire staircase to get to the roof. The only reason we needed to go to the pool was to get towels - 2 of 3 times we went, there were no beach towels.

We came back to the room at 5pm and the room was still not cleaned up.

Free internet was a plus, but only when it worked. There was an outage.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rkoifman
GM_MiamiBeach, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Dear Rkoifman,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I would like to personally apologize for the many inconveniences that you experienced while at our hotel. I apologize that our location did not provide the location you hoped for. We are within walking distance to the beach, great restaurants, and shopping. Additionally, I apologize that the elevators were experiencing problems during your stay and I can assure you that those issues were corrected by as soon as we were aware of the issue. Although you did experience many issues at our hotel, I am pleased to know that our staff was friendly during your stay and correct any issues you experienced outside of the structural issues mentioned. Again, thank you for choosing Marriott and we hope that you would you would be willing to give us another opportunity in the future.

Regards,
Wes Chatellier
Operations Manager

Reviewed February 11, 2014

The rooms were fine, the hotel didn't say it was being remodeled and still charged a premium... the VOC volatile organic compound smells of paint, floor sealant, mastic, carpet glue gave you a permanent headache.

I would think by now it is all fixed but I'm just doing my catchup reviews... There was no breakfast buffet but you could order on the phone and come down and get it from the front desk, YES, no lie.. that was how it was handled.

Parking was ok, typical S. Beach.. next door to the hotel is a vagrant favorite during the day until about 9pm when the venue next door shows up to open the club and it is hoppin' and hooopdies and plenty of drama. Across the street was the Madonna which i really didn't like seeing that it makes it seem seedy but again, the place itself surprised me it was part of Marriott...

Room Tip: Pool on the roof is cool, check it out at night...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank BOBBY1964_1
GM_MiamiBeach, General Manager at Courtyard Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Dear Bobby,

We completed our lobby renovation in October 2013. I apologize for any inconvenience during your stay. We placed a renovation alert on our website a few weeks prior to the start of the construction. We offered a grab and go style breakfast and room delivery during the construction based on space constraints. I do understand the frustration with this change when you're used to utilizing the buffet area in the lobby. We are truly apologetic for your experience last year. I would love the opportunity to make the stay up to you. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel if you change your mind about returning.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

We loved this hotel! It was clean and the staff friendly! Perfect location! A very nice hotel with a roof pool and an incredible view of the city (especially at night). Unfortunately the parking is situated on a different street.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_MiamiBeach, General Manager at Courtyard Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Dear k4miky,

I'm so happy you enjoyed the hotel and our staff! That is wonderful to hear and we really appreciate the feedback. Thank you again and we hope to see you in the future!

Reviewed January 12, 2014

I processed our booking for a family of 5 that included 2 small children in to the Marriott Courtyard in Miami on the 28th + 29th December 2013, back in Oct 2013. I deleiberately booked the Marriott because its location was in South Beach close to Lincoln Road for the shops and restaurants, and it was a very short walk from the beach. Hence it looked to be ideal for a family vacation.

I called the hotel on the 24th December 2013, to inform them that we would be arriving at the hotel late on the evening of Saturday 28th December, and that two of the party were small children under 5 years of age. I was assured that the late arrival would not be a problem and that the hotel staff were looking forward to seeing us. I put the phone down confident that the reservation I had made back in October 2013, for my family to spend a couple of days in Miami whilst on holiday visiting relatives over the festive break was still in place.

We arrived at the hotel around 21:30 on the 28th, having spent four hours driving up from Key West in heavy traffic conditions. We pulled up at the Marriott and set about unpacking all our luggage from the car. We then gave the car keys to the valet who promptly drove off with the car to park it. Our party of 5 proceeded to check in at the front desk. By this time the two children were miserable after the long journey from Key West ,and was displaying clear signs of being very tired. I had provided their full details including their age at the time I made the booking back in October. However, at this stage in the proceedings we was informed by the receptionist that our room had been double booked and that we had no alternative but to stay in a different hotel to the Marriot for the first night of the two night stay. This news left me both shocked and angry. What kind of hotel group kicks two small children out of their reservation and makes then travel to another hotel at 10pm at night? Clearly a very greedy hotel group who put making making money over the welfare of the children who are booked in to their hotels as paying customers.

After my begging the receptionist to see if there was anything she could do to get us a room at the hotel, it became clear that we had no option but to have to then wait for the valet to return the car, re-pack the car with all the luggage, and to then try and find our way to the new hotel. The Marriott didn't provide us with a map for the new hotels location. As we was new to Miami we had no idea where the hotel was located. We ended up having to use my iPhone to find it, which added to the delay and caused further stress for our party.

Whilst I appreciate a young person would probably give their right arm to stay at the 'hip and happening' Delano Hotel, it is anything but a child friendly hotel. This is because its key clients are mostly young revellers. We finally arrived at the hotel around 10:15, to be met by very loud music because one of the bars is located right by the main reception area,and so the party crowd who appeared to be having a very good time on a Saturday night where partying away in front of us.

Given the fact that we had two very small and by now extremely tired children in our party the situation was becoming a nightmare thanks to the greedy Marriot group. By the time we went through the process of checking in for the second time at a hotel in Miami in less than an hour it was gone 11pm by the time we got the key to the room. However, when we got up to the 6th floor and in to the room we had been allocated it became clear that it was not equipped for five guests. The room was very cold and felt damp throughout. It was certainly not of the standard that I would have expected the rooms to be at the much hyped 4* Delano. Plus it did not have enough towels or bed linen to accommodate our party of 5. Nor did it have coffee making facilities as the Marriott has. We therefore had to order room service to get some hot drinks to warm us up becasuse the room was so cold, which took a further thirty minutes to arrive and which we had to pay for. We had to wait another thirty minutes to be given the bed linen to allow everyone in the party to go to bed because at this stage we were all very tired and somewhat distressed thanks to the way the Marriott group treats its customers.

Once we turned the lights out it became clear that no one would be getting much sleep because our room directly overlooked the Delano hotels front entrance entrance and car valet area. It was so noisy that two of us got up out of bed got ourselves dressed and made our way to a nearby Walgreens to buy some earplugs. By now it was 12:30am.

I am a regular traveller with my job. Over the years I have received very good customer service and also some not so good in the various hotels where I have staid around the globe. But in all those years of using hotels I don't think I have ever come across a company that kicks two small children out of their reservation due to the hotel chain allowing double booking's out of pure greed. Its nothing short of a disgrace. Putting a small family of 5 up in the Delano was not the right move by any standards.

Whilst I fully appreciate the fact that the Marriot picked up the tab for the 1 nights stay at the Delano, no amount of money could make up for the inconvenience of us being kicked out of the Marriot late at night, having to then try to locate and travel to another hotel to re-check, only to then be turfed out of that hotel at 11am the following morning (which was the time that we was due to meet friends in the Miami Coral Gables region), in order to have to travel back to the Marriott and re-check in for our reservation on the night of the 29th.

We were finally able to check in to our reservation at the Marriott for the 2nd of the 2 nights we had booked about 1pm the following day, which totally ate in to our plans for the day. The room was spacious ands clean. It was also thankfully at the back of the hotel away from the noise out the front. However, the bed settee that allows the room to accommodate three adults and two children at the Marriott was not fit for a dog to sleep on let alone a human. The springs in the bed could clearly be felt when laying in the bed. There was no way we would have allowed the children to sleep on such an old mattress, and so having had very little sleep at the Delano the night before thanks to the noise of the traffic and party revellers outside the hotel directly below our room, my second nights sleep was interupted with the constant feel of a bed spring in my back. The bed settee looked and felt to have been in use since the 1950's.

The only saving grace of the Marriott Courtyard was the two very polite and helpful valet operators, plus Joe the manager on the front desk who when we arrived on the second day to check in again was very apologetic and helpful. The young guy working in the Starbucks bar on the night of the 29th, also provided a high level of customer service, as did the maintenance man when I reported the lift was making a very strange loud noise and was vibrating when travelling between floors.

Thanks to the Marriott group our two day family vacation to Miami and plans throughout the two days were completely ruined. I would therefore like to know why they kicked two small children out of their reservation without any prior notification to me, which is appalling given the fact that you had both my email address and cell phone number on your records. I think the Marriott Group owe me an explanation for the inconvenience and time wasting that they put my family through because thanks to the group you completely ruined what was meant to be a fun two day stay over in Miami whilst catching up with old friends whilst we were over in the US on vacation from the UK.

I would never use a Marriott Hotel again. They even promised to top up my rewards as part of an apology. But they have not even bothered to do that.

Such a dreadful level of service to a family from the UK who was so looking forward to the two day trip to Miami to see old friends.

I won't be using Marriott Hotels again either for pleasure or business.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel away from the main road noise.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank KeelyP63

Dear KeelyP6,

I would like to personally apologize for the inconvenience you encountered during your stay. I can assure you that we would never intentionally displace guests, especially traveling with small children. In the rare occasion that our hotel cannot accommodate a reservation we pay for the guests stay at a nearby hotel. I apologize that the Delano did not meet the needs of your family during the stay. We are all extremely apologetic for the inconvenience and disappointed that we impacted your vacation. I hope you will change your mind about choosing a Marriott hotel in the future. It was not our intention to leave such bad taste in your mouth. We hoped that the accommodations at the Delano would make up for the trouble. Again, I am very sorry.

Regards,