“Good location, nice service, location a bit sketchy”

Courtyard Miami Beach South Beach
Ranked #132 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Springfield, Illinois
“Good location, nice service, location a bit sketchy”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Stayed at this hotel 3 days mid December 2012 prior to taking a cruise. We found the room and lobby area to be clean and fairly basic in terms of towels, etc. The front desk and breakfast staff were friendly and helpful. Buffet breakfast was adequate and pretty typical. Our breakfast was included as part of our room rate thru AAA. I think it cost about $12, which I would not have paid if we were not getting it included. The hotel location is very good - just a few blocks walk to Lincoln Road, the beach, Collins Ave., Ocean Drive. The stretch of block the hotel is located on felt a bit sketchy. As other reviewers have mentioned, there is a strip club across the street (and I think also there may have been one next to the hotel as well). We never felt greatly uncomfortable walking on the block, but I will say we picked up our pace a bit as we approached the hotel each evening. I did notice the hotel always has one or two front door guys at the doors every time we entered and exited the hotel which I thought was a good thing. Other reviews also metioned hearing street noise, though we did not. Our room was on the 3rd floor.

2 Thank LoriH611
GM_MiamiBeach, General Manager at Courtyard Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay. I am very thankful for your compliments to our great staff. I'm happy to hear that the hotel overall met your expectations.

The establishment next door is not an adult club and I can assure you it is very safe in our neighborhood. We are conveniently located the strip on Ocean Drive and the vast shopping and dining on Lincoln Rd.

I'm also happy to hear that you weren't impacted by any noise issues and our valet staff was helpful throughout your stay. Thank you again and we hope you'll visit in the future.

Nanyce Lanier

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Bala, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2013

A basic hotel building with more than adequate standard rooms and a nice roof top pool area. In a good location with Ocean Drive with all the designer shops one block towards the beach. We noticed the strip club but all was quiet when we arrived about 9 p.m. We walked across to the beach area in the morning. No problems with safety at that hour! Taxi ordered on our behalf and luggage loaded by accommodating staff member. Thanks.

1 Thank fandraw
GM_MiamiBeach, General Manager at Courtyard Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I'm very pleased to hear that everything was smooth sailing during your stay. I hope you enjoyed your cruise with the family and we look forward to welcoming you back to Miami Beach in the future. Thank you again!

Sunny regards,
Plymouth
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed here for one night on the back end of a cruise. The room was spacious but smelled awful. The location was in a seedy part of south beach. I would not recommend staying here for any reason. Was very overpriced for what was included. The staff however were very nice and helpful.

1 Thank eligat
GM_MiamiBeach, General Manager at Courtyard Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you for your compliments to our staff. Please accept my apologies for the odor issue in room. We were not aware of the problem and I apologize for the inconvenience. Additionally we are conveniently located to the beach and many of the attractions in the south beach area. Our guests typically choose the hotel based on our prime location so I apologize that it wasn't a good fit for your trip. I appreciate the feedback and again please accept my apologies for any inconvenience.

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I stayed here for a conference. The hotel was full and the service was poor. Housekeeping left a different, incomplete variety of towels when they cleaned each day. I needed assistance with some directions and restaurant recommendations and the front desk personnel were not really interested in helping me. I even commented to the Service Manager about the poor service when I checked out and I barely got an acknowledgement that I had spoken. My room was fine--mostly clean and functional; if you don't have an ocean view you don't have much of a view at all (and I did not have an ocean view). And I agree with the other reviewer; look for parking nearby vs using the valet service. It is expensive. This is not one of Marriott's better Courtyards!

Room Tip: Of course, try to get an ocean view if you can.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for providing feedback regarding your recent Marriott stay. We are very disappointed to hear that you didn't enjoy your time while visiting one of our properties. It does appear that you intended to provide feedback on another Courtyard in this post. We are conveniently located in south beach and only two blocks from the beach. We do not have direct ocean front rooms, but one of our sister properties does. It seems that you stayed at that hotel and have confused ours on your response. I regret that you did not have a pleasant experience within our brand and I hope this does not prevent you from continuing to choose Marriott.

Apopka, Florida
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Bad first. Do not stay here with children there is a strip club right across the street. Lucky for me I did not bring kids. Night club next door as well. Don't use the valet parking, there is a public parking facility just one block up and it is cheaper overnight. Do not count on a "business center" there is only one lame computer right by the elevators & you have to stand the whole time you are using it. I had to ask an employee who was greeting a buddy next to my room to please lower their voices at night because they were talking very loud (thus thin walls). They charge for breakfast no complimentary breakfast. There is a McDonalds up the street if you are looking to save money.
Positives: Reasonable price...try booking way in advance to get a better deal. Some friendly staff. Nice size room but tiny bathrooms. My room was facing away from the street on the 4th floor which was ideal. Two blocks up the street there is a side street with great restaurants if you are looking to stay close.
Overall ok but not what I expected for the Marriott brand.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank let1125
CourtyardFLL, General Manager at Courtyard Miami Beach South Beach, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am disappointed to hear that you felt your stay was simply okay with us. We definitely strive to make each guest experience a special one. We do lease a parking lot near our hotel for the convenience of our guests traveling with a vehicle, Please accept our apologies if this service was not beneficial during your stay. We offer a full breakfast buffet at a nominal charge in comparison to many of the restaurants located on south beach. Additionally our hotel is located in the heart of south beach and we are very close to many of the entertainment venues in the area. We have had the pleasure of hosting many families at our hotel that were pleased with our accommodations. I hope you will accept my apologies that we did not meet your expectations. Thank you for sharing your opinion and we will continue to use the candid responses to help us improve.

New York City, New York
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I recently stayed at the hotel. The staff was more than accommodating throughout my stay. The manager Joe was very helpful to me with directions and room service. He and the other staff members always greeted me a warm smile big hello. They all could not have been nicer!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your post. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for recognizing Joe for his service, He takes great pride in caring for our guests and we are extremely lucky to have him. Thank you again and we hope to see you again!

Best regards,
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Great trip for Art Basel. The hotel is located in an ideal location, walking distance to Lincoln Road, the beach and the convention center. Joe, who I believe manages the front desk was wonderful. He provided us with an early check in, a great room (for four people) and was truly hospitable. I look forward to going back again next year!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank laroma82
Thank you for staying with us! We really appreciate your positive feedback regarding your visit. We're happy to hear that our hotel met your needs. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Thanks again,