“No real problems”

Royal South Beach Hotel
Ranked #153 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed February 7, 2011

We stayed at at The Royal Hotel from Jan, 10 to Feb 04, 2011. We booked through Expedia and after reading the many reviews, good & bad, we didn't know what to expect. When we arrived there was a question of if the continental breakfast was included but after showing papers from expedia things were quickly sorted out and breakfast vouchers were supplied at no charge. The hotel fee was listed as $5.00/day by expedia but we were not charged any hotel fee.
We stayed on the third floor and had no sleepless nights due to noise.
Our room was cleaned and bed changed daily. There is a second floor deck, which overlooks Washington Street. It's a great place to sit and enjoy the view. the deck also has a hot tub that we enjoyed.
For the money we paid we couldn't ask for better. Only real bad thing was having to return home to snow.
Hodders - Nl - Canada

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SHodder

Reviewed February 6, 2011

For a clean budget hotel right in the middle of all that's trendy in Miami South Beach (they say SoBe) this is hard to beat. Don't expect too much for around $100 per night, but compared to the swanky Art Deco hotels on Ocean Drive, literally in the next street, it's excellent value.

It's clean and tidy with food and drink facilities in the room, a sun deck and on it a whirlpool tub. It's quiet too both outside and in the corridors.

There's a slight faded glory to the place but it didn't detract. though the bathroom needed updating. If you bring a car there's a strictly enforced residents only policy overnight but a secure multi-storey in the next street at $20 per night. Meter parking on Ocean Dv was available even on Sunday afternoon promenading by the locals. If you like exotic cars and people watching it's fascinating.

Lastly, you have to visit the famous Mango's Tropical Cafe. Amazing dancers and and a jumping atmosphere.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 25, 2011

My husband and I were in South Beach for one night before taking a cruise. When first arriving to the hotel, I was disappointed to see the front entrance on a side street that was undergoing construction. That was the first sign of trouble..anticipating that construction would go well into the evening. Thankfully it did not, but the partying and loud, rude people in the streets and hallways did. The noise kept us up until the early morning hours.

On the plus side--we were upgraded to a two bedroom suite, which was very roomy and comfortable. The front desk attendant was very helpful and took care of our bags, allowing us to explore the sites before getting into our room. The location is great; only steps away from Ocean Blvd. and the beach! So, if you don't need to sleep, it's a decent location for a short visit.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 8, 2010

This review could be summed up in three words.
Don't stay here.
Unless you actually like staying up all night due to the thumping music emanating from the nightclub IN THE BASEMENT of the hotel (!)

I switched rooms and noted that neither room was equipped with soap. All the coffee creamers had solidified into some sort of plastic pellets. Well located electrical outlets did not work so I had to plug my computer into the ill-located ones.

Both rooms had mindboggling noise!!
First, my second floor room which was located on top of a nightclub. Then the room they switched me to faced Washington Ave which is like a freeway, even in the middle of the night there were trucks, motorcycles and drunk tourists going by my window.. and the windows are louvered, ie no sound insulation whatsoever.

There is no heat in the room so when I arrived to an AC icebox it took quite a while to return to a habitable temperature. This was done by opening a patio door to a common area (not so safe) and then the patio door wouldn't shut (!). Staff had to force it closed and told me to just call anytime I wanted to open it
?
On the positive side the staff were pleasant, there was just little they could do to remedy the main situation of the night club. Apparently it opened recently and there is nothing they can do. They told me that the noise would go on until 1am but it was well after 3am that the thumping stopped.

And to top it all off, my shower head hung from the wall so I had to press myself against the wall to be in its line of flow (!)
Again, the actual people are pleasant, but this is a hotel for hardcore folks who stay up all night and can sleep next to a train station.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank AnAbstractLife
Reviewed October 24, 2010

The lobby smelled like mold or mildew and the hall carpets could use a good shampoo but the room itself was pretty clean. It definitely did not look as pictured, but similar. It was all white which is actually a good thing. You can't hide the dirt if everything is white. The marble floors were not very nice to walk on in bare feet.

All in all, if you're just looking for a cheap place to sleep in South Beach, then the Royal is not too bad. It's in a great location (3 blocks from the beach and right in the heart of SoBe) but hotel parking is non-existent unless you want to pay $30 for valet. We had good luck finding street parking on 6th. I definitely would not call this place a nice hotel, but it isn't a place that I would necessarily avoid in the future, provided the price is right (less the $70/night).

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2010

The website really misrespected the property. The lobby looks nothing like the website. the entrace was quite depressing and the room was worse. We came to South Beach for vacation and relaxation and I was stressed as soon as I entered the property. The desk manager was not helpful at all. The breakfast buffet looked like it had been there are hours. The curtains in the room were plastic and had holes in them..the bed was hard as a rock..the bathroom and kitchenette were very dated and dingy... all and all it just wasnt pleasant and we left to find another hotel....luckily we found a nice hotel within the hour and had the $ to move....I hate to think what kind of vacation we would have had if we had to stay.....DONT STAY HERE just save the money until you can afford better lodging

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank info4uruse
Reviewed May 19, 2010

We had a great stay at RSH. I stayed there with 3 of my girl friends between May 4-9 for 5 nigths and it was better than I expected. Thanks to TA for helping me plan my trip.

NOTE: If you 're planning on clubbing then I'd sugest staying on Ocean Drive instead.

Pros:
-friendly front desk agent Junior gave us free upgrade to suite !),
-2 blocks to beach, room we stayed at 302/304 was not noisy (maybe because it did not face washington?),
-suite was very spacious,
-bathroom was really nice,
-cofffee machine, microwave and fridge in room a big plus,
-walking distance to TJMax if you need a bathing suit (although there are $10 bargains right on washington street),
-resort fee includes beach chairs,
-walking dist. to BestBuy which is in the same bldg as TJMax if you need an SD card etc,
-we took our drinks to the solarium every night before we went out- it was pretty cool,
-Again service was great and they let us print out our boarding and stated they would not charge for sending a fax,
-we didn't go there to party so glad it was NOT next to on top of a club/restaurant/bar
- beds were comfortable. sofa bed was comfy or so my friends said.

Cons
-Marble floor looks great but you can't walk bare feet. yuck!
-$5 resort is less than other hotels in SoBe but this not a resort so why a resot fee?!
- stove in kitchennette does not actualy work
-you can't open windows but bldg is old so understandable
- No restaurant/bar which may be a pro if you're looking for quiet rooms where you can sleep
-No fancy lobby or swimming pool, walking around washington i found there are lots of other cute boutique type hotels I would want to check out for next time like Hotel Lily

Places to eat:
*Pizza Rustica has FAB pizza!!!Highly recommend it. under $5 a slice.
*News cafe has great breakfast and desert. Lively place right across form the beach
* Wet Willies- requires you pay in cash but drinks are really cheap. View of beach is fab. Other places do have the 2 for1 deals.
* Pelican had $7 happy price price and I got a pina colado just by asking which was not on happy hr menu

MISC
Surf STYLE is great for cheap souvenirs. There one almost on every other block.

---TIP ...Watch out- always ask for price first. My friend had to pay $20 for the gaint bloody mary at a fancier place. And there's a lot of hagglers. Everyone rest. on oceandrive wants to give you a 20% disc.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends