“Good Value and Location”

Royal South Beach Hotel
Ranked #144 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
London, United Kingdom
“Good Value and Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2012

Stayed here for my birthday with my boyfriend. It was a quirky room with microwave facilities which was handy for snacks. Location was great for South Beach where there are fantastic restaurants and a beautiful beach.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 29, 2012

I'm a recent collage graduate so I love to save money wherever I can for things like extra shopping money and for those famous Miami mojitos! This was my first trip to Miami and was a little nervous reading some of the reviews here but took a chance and so glad I did. All these negative reviews are really people nitpicking to find something wrong. If you are expecting the Ritz Carlton you should be willing to pay the $500 a night...but if you go in with an open mind you will be pleasantly surprised. I've been to Europe, Asia and all over the world so some of the reviewers on here have obviously never seen "disgusting" hotels.
The location is THE BEST...I could walk to the beach in less than 5 minutes and would walk every night to Espinola way or Lincoln Ave or Ocean Ave. My room was clean and I felt totally safe with my girlfriends coming in at night.
The front desk people were lovely to me- giving me advice where to go, shop and even buy groceries. There was a little fridge in my room to store enough for me to eat for breakfast. I stayed somewhere on the 3rd floor near a corner suite- not facing Washington- so did not experience any nightclub noise that others are complaining about..so maybe when booking asking for one of those rooms will help? We had a nice LCD tv and shower worked perfectly.
There was the sweetest cleaning lady who would always give me extra towels and extra squishy pillows since I need a "hugger".
For nice quiet evening we would grab some food at the Cuban grocer on the corner and eat it on the communal patio and it was lovely. We even met some friends up there who we ended up spending the entire trip with.
All in all I had a great stay there....I will be going back next winter to avoid all the Canadian winter! And since it is much more inexpensive than any other hotel I could find...I had much more money for other things like tours and buying art and entertainment. I even loved it so much that I extended my trip because with the price I could afford it! If you are going to Miami to stay inside your hotel room all day then you shouldn't be going to Miami. Get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather! I would sleep and shower here and was perfectly comfortable - and then would go enjoy my day outside! Keep your money- stay here and have a lovely trip!

Room Tip: anything third floor not facing washington
Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ella H
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2012

We have been coming to South Beach for years but not lucky enough to find the Royal South Beach right away. We have been blessed to find the Royal a few years back, with the all most pleasant and professional staff. Mel, Lily, and Jr always go above and beyond when we are here. The rooms are always clean and spacious. The price is amazing. We have paid nearly double to find smaller rooms with broken shower heads, broken dressers etc. at other nearby hotels. The location is wonderful. I walk out of the building to find everything within reach. The staff always have ideas or some sort of direction to point me as to where I can eat or drink. The Royal South Beach is my home away from home, and I look forward to coming back real soon.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Promo126
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2012

My friend booked a hotel room for 2 originally on President's day weekend. Then 2 of us went with them on a whim, so she made sure she got confirmation that says "2 Queen size bed" in email writing. Of course, when we got there, the room only has 1 single bed, and 1 double bed, and it's the last room available. The place definitely looked and smelled like a cheap motel. For $278 a night , even on President's day weekend, does not seem like a good deal at all.

By luck, there was 1 room left in the Anglers Boutique Resort a block away. We had a wonderful stay there.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Phoebe_ZC

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Chicago, IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2012

This place is feels more like a hostel than a hotel. The lobby and rooms are a bit shabby. But the location is very good for South Beach and price (around $100/night) is great. For the price, you get what you pay for, a simple hotel in a good South Beach location.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2012

just came back from this hotel. Do Not Stay!!!!!

First of all the reviews on here is very confusing. There are some that rate it high and others very low. I will say that the ones rating it high are questionable. Let me explain.

I booked this hotel for a little getaway for my Wife and I. I was sold on the pictures and the locations.

When we arrived, it was nothing like the pictures or description. The entrance to the "hotel" is in the back. They have no lobby, only a section with a desk to check you in. The place is a bit run down. You get what you pay for and I thought for a quick getaway weekend this will be fine. I was wrong!

The room was ok, had the motel kind of feel. I did not see a closet although they had closet looking area with a curtain separating it.

We left our luggage and went out to eat. We came back to find a surprise....

There is a Night Club below our room. We can hear all the conversations and the music below. In fact our room was vibrating from all the bass.

We notified the front desk and asked to be moved. They mentioned they were all booked and could not move us. However, if they could, the problem would still be there as people from highest floor can still hear and feel the music.

At that moment we decided we could not stay. This is where things get interesting. Take it for what it is. I'm simply documenting what transpired. The second part of this review is about Hotels.com.

1. Front Desks mentioned that they understood if we did not want to stay but I would have to call Hotels.com as they are the ones I paid.

2. Called Hotels.com and described the situation. They put me on hold to call the hotel. I was on hold for about 15 mins. Hotels.com came back on the line to tell me the front desk verified my story and that I have 2 options. They can try to find me another hotel for tomorrow but I would have to stay overnight. Or, I can find a room tonight but I would still be charge for the one night stay. They claimed hotel policy. That was unacceptable and I wanted to speak to a supervisor, I was put on hold for 20 mins only to be disconnected.

3. Called front desk and asked why they wanted to charge me after we already had a conversation about the Night Club. Mentioned Hotels.com calling them and stated the above. He replied by saying he did not speak to anybody form Hotels.com. Strange?

4. Called Hotels.com again, explained the situation, was put on hold again. Came back with the same story. I asked them who they spoke with and they could not give out that information. I asked for supervisor, was put on hold and after 10 mins., I was conveniently disconnected.

5. Called Hotels.com again, this time at the front desk. Was put on hold so they can call hotel. Came back with the same story. funny thing is, they never called the hotel.

I was speaking with the front desk and he mentioned this is very common. Everybody that books that room or adjacent rooms always complains and walks out. I mentioned, I was sold on the property by the online pictures and reviews. It does not seem link the owner cares and many people get tricked into coming. As far as Hotels.com they will always try to bill you for one night even though the hotel your staying at voids or cancel the reservation.

In closing, I called my credit card issuer and explained the situation. they quickly reverse the charge and put us up in a different hotel, all in one phone call. Thanks you Chase Sapphire.

Take it for what it is. Do your research, look at other users pictures and explore Google Street View.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ralerta
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2012

I was booked into this hotel for 8 days over Christmas and to say I was disappointed and disgusted is an understatement. I am stunned by some of the reviews on here and I really hope people read the real reviews as I was tricked into thinking this hotel is a diamond in the rough. It is anything but. Upon arrival in the lobby, the young receptionist was clearly inexperienced and shouldn't have been left to manage the hotel on her own as she couldn't work the photocopier to take a copy of my passport. The lobby had a distinct smell of damp. Once we entered our room - which was enormous, our hearts sank. It was dirty - pubic hairs on the bed, fingerprints all over the windows, dusty with an unpleasant smell. The 'lcd tv with cable' as advertised didn't work in either of the rooms - they hadn't paid the bill for the cable service. The furniture was in poor condition. The corridors were dark and the carpet was stained and clearly the source of the terrible stench. Many of the rooms were occupied on a lease basis and not as a hotel. The walls were paper thin and down the corridor there was unpleasant sounds of someone clearly very unwell. When I went down to the reception to discuss my unhappiness with the state of the room, the lack of TV etc. the lady on reception didn't have the authority to do anything about it. She had to call her boss on the telephone who without any questions invited her to give me back my money. Clearly I am not the first person to arrive and leave within the hour. There are plenty of other hotels on Collins that are more cost effective and actually give customer service as they are hotels and not somewhere calling itself a hotel when it is a complete dive. I am really angry that they are allowed to keep those photos of the hotel online when they are so out of date and untrue.

Room Tip: Don't stay here at all.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple