“4th visit, can't wait for the 5th!”

The Palms Hotel & Spa
Ranked #37 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago
“4th visit, can't wait for the 5th!”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

We just returned from our 4th stay at The Palms, which is now becoming our go-to winter getaway. As before, we had an excellent experience. It actually seemed as if service had been stepped up a bit from previous visits - not that we've ever had a complaint. But we were definitely greeted with more "How can I help you's?" and "Is there anything you need?" than we have been in the past. The only quibble concerned housekeeping; the first night there we had some chips and candy from the minibar, as well as the bottled water, but these were never replenished during our stay.

But as I said, this is just a quibble. Once again we relaxed on the beach, availing ourselves of the great service from the Tiki Bar. When we didn't feel like trekking down to the beach (which is quite a hike to and from the bathrooms), we relaxed near the pool. The grounds are as always - lush and private, a secluded little paradise. There were two large corporate gatherings during our stay, as well as several weddings, but these never impacted our vacation, except for one night when the patio lounge was taken over by a reception. These kinds of events are par for the course, though, for a resort like the Palms. There is quite a lot of construction going on up and down Miami Beach, and yes, you will hear it, no matter where you stay. But we felt that the noise was less than it had been a year ago, when the building to the south of the Palms was still going up. And if you want to avoid construction noise completely, stay on a weekend. Now that the next door building is almost complete, we didn't hear as much drilling and pounding. But the area is undergoing so much of a renaissance in building, there's no avoiding it. Walking up and down Collins is a bit of a challenge, it's been overtaken by so many construction sites - but of course, this will be a boom to the local economy.

We ate at Essensia and then in the lounge a couple of times, and the other evenings we ventured out - once to the Betsy, and another night to the Fountainbleau. Both were cheap, quick taxi rides, and it's always interesting to experience a more hectic, South Beach kind of vibe. But we were always grateful to return to the quiet, tranquil Palms. And we'll be back next year!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 9th floor, city view. It was fairly quiet; only occasionally were we aware of the...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ScribblerChicago

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I had my bachelorette lunch at the essence restaurant and it was amazing, food incredible, the service five start, the attention, the decorations, everything was perfect. I recommended it to everyone.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank cmesias2007
Winnisquam, NH
Reviewed February 2, 2014

I arrived @ 10pm via a cab that only took cash (the driver did not advise me, so be aware of this in MIA). The desk clerk referred me to its ATM which was out of order. I returned to the desk clerk who referred to her manager in a room behind the desk. They referred me to the hotel next door which didn't have an ATM and referred me back to The Palms. The desk clerk (and her manager who never came from the office) referred me to the hotel across the street which had an operable ATM. During these encounters, they told me they could not help me with cash. It took @ least a day for the ATM at The Palms to be operable.

While I was pursuing the ATM, the Bell left my bags unattended. I brought them to the desk who didn't take them in back, but left them in front of the desk while I was chasing ATMs.

Due to illegible handwriting by the desk clerk, my first effort to go to my room brought me to a room that was occupied. I had to return to the desk to clarify my room #.

At the lobby bar, I had two glasses of house wine and an appetizer for $60 (also, in-room bottles of water were $6.95, and the floor ice machine was out of order throughout the 4-day stay).

For $255 per night, and a repeat visitor, I expect more. The manager didnot advocate for me and didn't extend to assist me. Sorry to see, I would not recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean front room. I was a repeat visitor and was placed street side.
Green Features: The Palms gets environmental/green from my ability to see.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
7 Thank Peter D
Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

I moved to this hotel last minute after a disappointing first booking at another hotel along South Beach.

The hotel was lovely the moment you stop foot through the door. The staff are friendly and accommodating. The restaurant and outside pool area is well designed with small areas within the grounds which mean you can hide away with a good book.

I would pay the additional cost for the beach view it's well worth it.

The beds are big and high which I love and feels quality. I don't have a bad word to say about this hotel and I'm definitely booking again for my next visit.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Dawn M
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed February 1, 2014

From the moment you walk in the front doors, you can feel the wonderful beach ambiance. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Check in was a breeze. I got to my room and the turn down service had been completed. Robes, slippers, chocolate. There was a personalized letter thanking me for my stay, along with 2 Eco friendly shopping bags. The room was peaceful and very nicely decorated. The back patio was amazing. The restaurant food was very good. I travel on business 3 times a month and stay in many hotels. This hotel was definitely one of the nicest I have experienced and would highly recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Marsha L
Watertown, Connecticut
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Love The Palms. This was our second trip here and we loved it. Quiet and out of the craziness of South Beach. Rooms are immaculate, staff is excellent. First day on the beach we met Kevin- once he knew what we wanted for chairs and umbrellas he had them ready for us everyday! Spa is excellent, best massage I have had in a long time! I cannot say enough about this property. Cannot wait to go back!!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank jennt958
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Dear Jenn T, What an absolute pleasure it was to have you back as one of our loyal and repeat Palms guests! I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences with us and your lovely comments regarding our staff. I have personally thanked Kevin for his outstanding commitment to excellence! Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back for another perfect Palms experience.
Warm regards,
Alma Cue
The Palms Hotel & Spa Management
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed January 25, 2014

I've stayed at places like the Delano and National for quite a few years. But recently I started staying at the Palms. The rooms are very nice and comfortable. Great bathrooms (although small) with high water pressure coming from the waterfall shower heads. Beds are comfortable. Cleanliness is impeccable. There is turn-down service and Aveda products. Not much to complain about.

There is a pool, but it's not an infinity pool. There's no hottub. There's music, but not the dance club type. It's more relaxed than its southern neighbors. The bar by the pool is great, and there's good service. The food doesn't suck and the drinks are strong. 20% gratuity is included on everything.

Long and short is that this a very relaxing place to stay. if you're looking for excitement and a place to be seen, this is not your spot.

Room Tip: Ocean views are very nice, but cost about $60-80 more per night. They are quieter than the street f...
Green Features: Use CFL and LED bulbs in lamps, glasses are glass and reused.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple