“Gorgeous, even with the building work next door”

The Palms Hotel & Spa
Ranked #28 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I'll be honest to start and say i wasnt massively impressed by Miami and found a lot of the people very rude...especially taxi drivers. But this was not the case at the Palms. The room was lovely large and clean. Even had a set of scales in the bathroom...very Miami. the hotel interior was beautiful and bar, restaurant and pool lovely. As the title says there was building work and drilling in the hotel next door but the noise didnt really bother us. there was lovely music around the pool at the hotel which was soothing. theres a gate at the back of the hotel which goes onto the beach and you need your room key to get back in.

I would say the drinks and food are expensive but to be honest miami is a pricey place so its pretty typical of the area. when you do get a drink or meal though theres lots of it and the food is just beautiful.

Staff were great very friendly and couldnt do enough for us.

We didnt use the spa or gym so cant really comment but would recommend this hotel if you want to stay in the area.

Just a tip though, it is on the top end so attractions such as ocean drive are a bit of a walk. taxi's down there were less than 10 dollars though so we tended to do that.

1  Thank heather c
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Dear HeatherC,
Thank you for taking the time to review The Palms Hotel & Spa. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest. We appreciate your kind words regarding our property and service but regret you don’t feel the same about the rest of our beautiful city. We do hope you return to Miami and when you do you will stay with us again so that we can welcome you back to our tropical gardens and crystalline waters with genuine service and warm hospitality!

Reviewed September 27, 2013

After a stay in Conrad Miami and some days in Los Cabos, finally we went to the final of our trip: Miami Beach, at The Palms Hotel.

We had, before, very pleasant experiences as the other hotels were really nice. And expect to have also a great time at the last hotel of our trip. But we hadn’t.

About the hotel:

- Reception:

The reception is very simple with a staff a little bit instable, as you have some members that are very pleasant and others that are not so friendly. One important issue is that is an old hotel. And does not have some normal structure of others hotels, like a ramp for your luggage when you arrive at the hotel: they just have stairs at the reception.

When I checked in, I had a package from Amazon.com that was delivered one day before my arrival. They charge for receiving any package in U$ 5,00 per package.

- Swimming pool and Beach:

The swimming pool of the hotel is very small and not compatible with so many rooms and guests. But, during our stay (03 days) the guests really don’t use swimming pool in a way that it became crowd.

The beach of this part of Miami is a normal one. Nothing really different that I would define it as a beautiful one. In fact, is a normal beach (not beautiful), with some rocks.

There is a beach service, but I did not use it.

The towels for the swimming pool and beach are ridiculous. Old and very poor.

- The restaurants:

We had breakfast all days. Really disappointed. Very simple with jus a few variety. As is a beach hotel, I would expect more fruits or juices, but they do not have it.

- The room:

We got a upgrade for the oceanview room when we arrived. So, we did not stayed at the standard room. And even with the upgrade the room is really, really small. For those who go to Miami to buy, is something terrible, as it won’t have a lot of space in the room.

The bathroom is divided in 02 parts. Although is very small. Impossible to be used by a couple on the same time. This in the upgraded room (I can’t imagine the standard room)

The hotel says it’s a oceanview room. But I did not see the ocean, as it showed on the photo attached. So, do not believe that you will receive a oceanVIEW when they tell you that you got an upgrade.

- The WORSE experience:

When we checked out, I told to all staff members that I had one order from Amazon.com that did not arrived on time, before my check-out. So, they guaranteed that they would refuse it when UPS tried to delivered it. But they didn’t.

As I tracked the package by UPS site, the hotel received the item (more than U$ 50,00), not refusing any delivered. Really disgusting to noticed that the hotel staff decided to receive an item that they knew it was from a guest that already check-out. And this ridiculous act after they guaranteed me (and said that register it on their system) that would refuse the delivered.

I had to paid the package (and discover that someone from the hotel got my U$ 50,00 item) as they did not refuse the deliver. What a shame!!!

So, BE VERY CAREFUL with reception information’s. And it’s good to know that they do not honor their promises.

6  Thank Nunes-MG

Dear Mineirim,
I would like to thank you for your detailed feedback. On behalf of The Palms Hotel & Spa, we sincerely regret any inconvenience that you may have experienced during your stay with us. We value your opinion and have taken the appropriate measures with our team to ensure this does not happen again. Just to clarify, our $5.00 package handling fee which most hotels do charge also includes the storage of the package. There are some mailing companies that just drop off packages at the hotel without requesting a signature and in such cases as soon as we verify that the guest is no longer staying with us we immediately return the package.
None the less, I do understand your concerns and would like the opportunity to address them with you directly. Please contact me at alma@thepalmshotel.com so that I may personally speak with you regarding this matter and hopefully we can restore your confidence in our hotel. If your travels ever bring you back to Miami Beach, it would be a pleasure to welcome you with genuine service and laid-back sophistication at out serene and renovated oceanfront resort.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

I found this hotel online when heading to Miami on business. What a pleasant surprise! My breakfast at the hotel restaurant was included and I stayed on the deck for an extended period of time enjoying the environment checking my email on my ipad enjoying my coffee. We are renovating our kitchen and the ceiling on the veranda deck is now being incorporated into our design. My room was on the eighth floor overlooking the ocean and pool. It was an amazing view from my room and the photo I took of the sunrise is now my FB cover photo! Service was fantastic and I would definitely stay there again and in fact my trip unexpectedly had me stay longer so I re booked at the Palms. On my recent honeymoon we stayed at the Ritz Kapalua and I have to say the Palms was just about as good!

Room Tip: Ocean view on the on the 8th floor is a must!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your most recent stay at The Palms Hotel & Spa. I am glad you had a pleasant time and appreciate your kind words regarding our fantastic service! We look forward to welcoming you back for many more relaxing stays surrounded by our tropical gardens, crystalline waters, and warm hospitality!

Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

I was impressed by the beautiful beach front room my cousin and I got. It was a great and relaxing enviroment for girls weekend. My husband has a great experience with the staff booking our stay over the phone. Pablo at the spa was super helpful and schedule an amazing hour of massage and relaxation. The sunrise and sunset were expectacular at this not crowded beach, it felt private. A few weddings going on gave it a little romantic touch. The food is pricy. Would like a little more warmth at when welcoming guests. Not much to do within walking distance. Tons of construction therefore not safe for a walk. Otherwise, highly recommend.

• Stayed: September 2013
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

It was a pleasure to welcome you to The Palms Hotel & Spa. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed one of our massages aimed to restore peace and harmony to the mind and body by combining Ayurvedic knowledge, aroma and healing touch in our relaxed setting, our AVEDA spa! We hope to welcome you back whenever your travels bring you to Miami Beach.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

We spend 3 nights, after a few days in Orlando, and before leave to Turks and Caicos.
The service is good and the staff is friendly. The concierge service also worked very well. We booked online and we didn’t have any issues on our arrival. The Essencia Restaurante is very good and with very good service.
The rooms are OK.
I think that is an excellent option for a short stay, due to the location and price.
Although you’re not responsible for that, I think that you should warn the costumers about the construction just beside.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank PGaspar

We appreciate the time that you took to provide a review of your most recent stay at The Palms Hotel & Spa. Thank you for your feedback. We do indeed mention on our website and in our confirmation emails that Intermittent disturbances may be encountered due to refurbishment of neighboring property. We are pleased to read your comments regarding our service and friendly staff and look forward to welcoming you back whenever your travels bring you to Miami Beach.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

And here's why:
- poor reception service
- appalling lack of cleanliness in the room - I actually did not see a vacuum cleaner on premises - stained chairs, couch and mattress - quite disgusting
- hidden daily fees with no explanation - $14.00+tax
- no balconies
- small room even after upgrade
- price is quite high even with promotions
- wedding premises are next to the pool - so you would probably get a few bathing suits in the shot while saying your vows.
- far from the main Miami Beach strip which limits the dining and entertainment choices within walking distance - abs are cheap though
- currently construction sites on both sides of hotel
- looks like locals are allowed in on weekends - poolside crowd doubled
- pool too small for a fully booked hotel
- fairly pricy menu for pool and beach

The only positive experiences:
- great food and service at the Essencia restaurant
- great pool area - beautiful garden design
- great service around pool and beach
- pool bathroom very clean

1  Thank Nora C

I would like to thank you for your detailed feedback. On behalf of The Palms Hotel & Spa, we sincerely regret any inconvenience that you may have experienced during your stay with us. We value your opinion and appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns. Just to clarify, we do indeed mention our hotel fee in detail on our hotel website and also in our confirmation emails. If your reservation was made on a 3rd party website, they also have disclaimers that either detail the hotel fee or state that additional fees may apply. While you do not need a password to access the Wi-Fi, the hotel fee also includes a variety of added values for your stay including: Unlimited wireless internet access, Gym access and beach chairs for all registered guests in party, beach umbrella, Local dialing and toll-free calls and Newspaper daily for your enjoyment. We also offer several different room types and locations for our guests, from illuminating city views to breathtaking ocean views and balcony rooms and suites on our penthouse floor, at all levels and price points, so that we can accommodate all of our guests unique preferences. As you have seen, construction in Miami Beach is a reality at this time and it will enhance the character of our beautiful city but unfortunately, we are one of many hotels where intermittent noise disturbances may be encountered. Our staff is diligent in making all of our guest experiences truly memorable and I am pleased to read that you enjoyed dining at our natural gourmet restaurant, Essensia. None the less, I do understand your concerns and would like the opportunity to address them with you directly. Please contact me at alma@thepalmshotel.com so that I may personally speak with you regarding this matter and hopefully we can restore your confidence in our hotel.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

My fiancee and I are currently staying at The Palms as a brief reprieve after vacationing in the Lesser Antilles. Aesthetically, The Palms is a really nice hotel. The rooms are more than adequate and the private access to the beach is a nice touch. The Palms has the potential to be a really phenomenal hotel but the Concierge service is obstructing this goal.

There is a saying by Maya Angelou that goes something like this : "People will forget what you said.
People will forget what you did.
But people will never forget how you made them feel."

We arrived at The Palms after a long and uncomfortable flight on Sunday, September 8th at about 8 am in the morning. I am sure we both probably looked disheveled.I felt that the gentleman at the front desk pre judged us by how we looked at the time. He was not the warmest Concierge in the world and I have traveled a lot of it. We did not feel welcome. We did not feel appreciated as customers. We will NOT be returning to this hotel.

I would not recommend this pretentious hotel to anyone.

1  Thank VeeStar_11
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Thank you for your recent stay with us at the Palms Hotel & Spa. I sincerely regret to hear that you experienced poor guest service from a member of our own team when you arrived. At the Palms we truly value our guests and our commitment to excellence. I am truly disappointed to hear that this was your experience as I firmly believe in our amazing group of dedicated and friendly team members and would love to speak with you further to personally address your past stay experience. Once again, my sincerest apologies and look forward to speaking with you soon. Kindly email me at alma@thepalmshotel.com